skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

This Game has Potential, But......

[Post New]by skpjazz on Mar 19, 18 3:17 PM
MrPuzzler,

I assume you are representing the developer, and I want to thank you for your participation in this forum. This tells me that you care about the concerns of the players, as well as the quality of the game itself.

I tried out this game originally on another site (some time back) and I found it to be surprisingly challenging, but I finally got frustrated when I couldn't complete level 60, and I couldn't go any farther. Even though I had started over several times with a different profile, hoping that I could keep enough gold coins to buy powerups, I ended up falling short. Believe me, I like to be challenged and try to win levels without relying on powerups, but this was a little "too crazy". I understand the concept of making lots of large matches to create bombs or dynamite or tnt, and also to let the cascading tiles take care of the top ones, but.....when you run out of moves, and you don't have enough gold coins, AND you're not able to replay previous levels under the same profile to earn more coins, then you're stuck with an unplayable (and frustrating) game. (It goes without saying that of course I replayed this same level over and over and over again!)

I consider myself to be an above average M3 player, and I would like to like this game, if you at least included a way to obtain more gold under the same profile. It may very well be that if I reached level 61, that it would be winnable without buying powerups -- but I'll never know...

I do feel like I speak for most M3 players that the option of having all levels available to replay within the same profile is definitely preferable.

As I stated in the subject, this game has potential, and I did enjoy parts of this game, but a few tweaks could make this a very good game. A few really good beta testers prior to the final version would have made a big difference.

I'm still open to giving this game a second chance, (since I may not know all the tricks of winning, LOL), and I'd love to hear from a better M3 player/gamer than I am as to their opinion.

Edited on 03/19/2018 at 3:40:30 PM PST

mysticalla5
Stingray
Stingray
4,869 Posts

Re:This Game has Potential, But......

[Post New]by mysticalla5 on Mar 19, 18 5:40 PM
Thank you skpjazz as you've articulated so well what I wouldn't have been able to do!

I didn't know the developer was around but hopefully they will heed your 'advice' suggestions.

I am far from an expert but my mentor and M3 expert (synthpopaddict) I'm sure she won't mind my saying that as I mentioned it many many times over the years in the open forums. She helped me countless times!

I do love this genre and recently have been weaning back into it so today's game, with boards that are easy to see, not huge......so no frequent head movement......got me really excited!
LOL, yep, until I had to replay a few levels multiple times. I do love the crisp clear tokens and the 'building' but as skpjazz mentioned........more access to gold is almost a must.
To be a bit nitpicky, I do wish the native wouldn't pop up so often. Not a deal breaker at all. One thing I have seen in other M3's I've played is that the move counter doesn't debit when you use a power up. This is one feature I REALLY wish this game had as many times it's been a one or two moves short of winning.

The mechanics play smoothly, the graphics are very good, crisp and clear, and colors very nice. I did purchase this game and will struggle on LOL but I do have a tendency to 'enjoy' hair pulling out tough. I also love timed games but am trying to get my brain into MOVES ONLY.

Okay, that's waaaaaay more than my 2cents worth
~~~Mysti

'

mysticalla5
Stingray
Stingray
4,869 Posts

[Post New]by mysticalla5 on Mar 19, 18 5:43 PM
LOL

I'm back yep. I was reading reviews and then the title caught my eye and I burst out laughing as maybe......do you suppose the "Impossible Universe" key on Impossible might or should have been a warning!

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Mar 19, 18 7:47 PM
Hi Mysti,

Thanks for your response (from a new Parrotfish to a seasoned Stingray!) You know, I thought about making a comment about the "Impossible" part of the title of this game, so I'm glad YOU did -- LOL! Since I wrote my post, I saw two more 5 star reviews of this game -- but I'm wondering how far they've gotten into the game.

It sounds like we both have a mutual respect for the "Master" of M3 games, so hopefully she will weigh in with her opinion if she has time to try it out. Somehow I don't think impossible is in her vocabulary! The only problem is that getting to level 60 may require longer than the demo allows.

Believe me, I do not want to declare defeat, so I will keep trying a little longer. I would be very interested in your progress with the game -- so don't worry about making me feel bad if you get past me! Please let me know how far you've gotten! Thanks for your kind words and your cheery support!

RedPoppies
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by RedPoppies on Mar 20, 18 12:17 AM
I just have one thing to add - why no custom cursor? It's a brand new game!! Please make this a must-have for future games, honestly it's so annoying playing with the ordinary cursor.

MrPuzzler
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by MrPuzzler on Mar 20, 18 12:41 AM
There is a trick on level 60. Clear area at the middle, then you open 2 TNT barrels, swap them with each other and you get super big explosion! It will help to clear the board. Keep playing to open Universe!

MrPuzzler
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by MrPuzzler on Mar 20, 18 12:43 AM
We have tested every level, and it is POSSIBLE to complete it even without any bonuses!

MrPuzzler
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by MrPuzzler on Mar 20, 18 1:20 AM
One more thing, after 10-15 retries of the same level you get additional moves. Game try to adjust to your skills and gives more moves.

BlueStarFish
Herring
Herring
351 Posts

[Post New]by BlueStarFish on Mar 20, 18 1:29 AM
If you first got this game from another site, it is possible you don't have the latest version with the option for easy mode.

I have not tried easy mode myself, but I can attest to what MrPuzzler says.
It is possible to do the levels without bankrupting yourself on powerups or more moves, and level 60 is doable. It sometimes comes down to pure luck, but I know it is possible.
I am at level 74 now (not in easy mode), and more than 7000 gold, so it can be done.

However, I do agree with OP, in that having the opportunity to re-play levels for more gold would be a good thing. That way one can play the more challenging mode and still have a chance at winning by one's own skill more than chance.

mysticalla5
Stingray
Stingray
4,869 Posts

[Post New]by mysticalla5 on Mar 20, 18 2:45 AM
Guess who's baaaaaaaaack

Oh my gosh!!!

I cannot believe it's 630 am and I'm still up!

Well, so much for 'easing' back into playing M3's! Ahem, oh yeah, and I forgot how addictive they are for me.

So, nice skpjazz you gave me the 'desire' to get to level 60 as I was curious. (hahaha)

At this point and with eyes that won't focus.......good grief I must be a masochist as I've only gotten to level 51.
I will pop back later tomorrow or when I make more headway and can spell and think and make sense.
Thank you for your kind words!
~~~mysti

ekstra2000
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,357 Posts

[Post New]by ekstra2000 on Mar 20, 18 9:59 AM
Skpjazz...I posted one of those five star reviews. I had, at the time, only played the demo. I have to admit that this one is challenging, to put it mildly. I have to laugh when the dialog box pops up and says "what a difficult level. Don't forget to use your power-ups". My power-ups will be saved until they can give me a shot at winning the level, thank you very much!
I am still happy with the game...I like a little frustration now and again. On the other hand, twenty times thru a level without winning...?
I am going to restart under a new name and force myself to replay every level until I win it without the extra moves. Shouldn't take more than a week or two...maybe!

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Mar 20, 18 12:01 PM
Thanks to all of my fellow fishies above!!

This is why my favorite game site is still BFG, and where I prefer to buy my games. All you "guys/gals" are great, and your posts are very welcome and appreciated! This is how forums should be: positive, honest, helpful, and friendly with a little bit of humor thrown in there LOL!

To MrPuzzler: Thanks for your helpful hints for winning level 60, but even though I realized that getting to the TNT barrels to exchange them should cause a super explosion, it hasn't worked well enough....yet. Evidently the "luck factor" hasn't shown up yet for me either! I will keep trying a little while longer.
BTW, I have not experienced the extra moves after a lot of replays. Also, I noticed that at the top of the screen on this level, it says "hard mode". This is odd because when I reset the game under one of my profiles, I wasn't given a choice of either hard or easy. Even though I had played this game originally on another site, I still prefer to purchase my games here on BF. That is why I downloaded the demo again here, hoping a fresh start would help. Of course, the saved game file doesn't really go away, and I'm wondering if there were changes made to this version, that I'm not experiencing (as BlueStarFish suggested)?

MrPuzzler
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by MrPuzzler on Mar 20, 18 12:14 PM
skpjazz, BFG version has "easy" mode dialog, just before the first level starts. You have to start a new game (new profile) or reset current (via options menu, advanced tab), so you should be able to select "easy" mode.

BlueStarFish
Herring
Herring
351 Posts

[Post New]by BlueStarFish on Mar 20, 18 12:19 PM
skpjazz, check which version you are playing.

If it is version 1.0.0.3, it should have the easy mode option.
Version 1.0.02 and lower does not have the option.

You can see the version on the load page, where the old native sits cross-legged. Bottom right corner.
Alternatively, click on options (the gear button top right corner next to the picture of "you"), then click "about".

I fear you need to uninstall the lower version game to get the higher version, but there is a good chance that Rum bic updated on other sites. I know they did on the site where I purchased this game.

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Mar 20, 18 2:33 PM
BlueStarFish wrote:skpjazz, check which version you are playing.

If it is version 1.0.0.3, it should have the easy mode option.
Version 1.0.02 and lower does not have the option.

You can see the version on the load page, where the old native sits cross-legged. Bottom right corner.
Alternatively, click on options (the gear button top right corner next to the picture of "you"), then click "about".

I fear you need to uninstall the lower version game to get the higher version, but there is a good chance that Rum bic updated on other sites. I know they did on the site where I purchased this game.

You're right BlueStarFish! It's as if you read my mind, because I was just getting ready to go in and check the version#, when I read your post. The only thing is I didn't know what version I should have...and thanks to you I know!

Anyway, I do have the old version 1.0.0.2, and even though I had uninstalled the game from the other site, I knew that installing it on BFG wouldn't necessarily change the original download. I guess my only option now is to go into my saved game files and delete it, and start all over again. This is what I was hoping to avoid because that will erase my game progress and profiles -- unless someone knows how to get the updated version with my original game progress -- but somehow I don't think that is possible! Oh well, I guess I'll start over and see what happens!

Just for the record, I'm not looking to play in the "easy" mode, because I like to be challenged. So, when I start over with hopefully the newest version...I will try in the hard mode first. It sounds like from what MrPuzzler said, there are other changes in this version as well. I will update on my progress....I have my work cut out for me!

BlueStarFish
Herring
Herring
351 Posts

[Post New]by BlueStarFish on Mar 20, 18 3:01 PM
You could try to re-download from the site you purchased first, just in case they have an updated version now.
That'll save some hassle, and some bucks if they got the new version.
Good luck

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Mar 20, 18 4:21 PM
I thought I was finished posting for the day...but now I'm still not sure what version is on BFG. When I deleted the saved game file on my computer, then reinstalled, the version still shows 1.0.0.2.

When I went to Rumbic Studio website, they only have version 1.0.0.1 to download there.

Yet, according to BlueStarFish, the latest version is 1.0.0.3.

Could someone who recently downloaded from BFG please let me know what version you have. I know that BlueStarFish downloaded from somewhere else.

I've already deleted my game files, so no matter where I go now, I'll still be starting over on some version, and I'd rather get the latest one. Thanks in advance.

mysticalla5
Stingray
Stingray
4,869 Posts

[Post New]by mysticalla5 on Mar 20, 18 5:08 PM
Hi skpjazz

Wow, you do have a conundrum!

I would LOVE to help you and answer which version I have (I bought and installed this one the day it came out)

But, and I hang my head and declare stupidity with computers other than on , off and send mail

Where do I find the version number that you've mentioned?

mysticalla5
Stingray
Stingray
4,869 Posts

[Post New]by mysticalla5 on Mar 20, 18 5:23 PM
Oh man am I dumb! (and blind)

Thank you BlueStarFish and good thing I looked around!

Skpjazz My version, from BF yesterday is version 1.0.0.2
Also, I did go in and made another user profile and there is an option for easy.
I would not have known that if this discussion hadn't been started.

Good luck and gosh, to have to begin all over again I hope someone can figure a way to keep your game!
~~~Mysti

skpjazz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
491 Posts

[Post New]by skpjazz on Mar 20, 18 8:14 PM
Thank you Mysti!

I decided to go ahead and start over on the version that's on BF, so I've gotten to level 40 so far and it seems a little better.

I couldn't believe you stayed up to 6:30 am playing...I've only stayed up till 4:00 am in the past.....so you've beat me! I'm glad to know I''m not the only crazy one!

So....let me know how far you've gotten in this game since level 51.

Your enthusiasm and humor has inspired me -- so thank you!

Edited on 03/20/2018 at 8:37:28 PM PST

Go to: