kelnjor
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,088 Posts

Comments and Reviews..

[Post New]by kelnjor on Jul 13, 10 11:35 PM
Have been looking at this game, and as there is no demo available, would like to hear people opoinions before i buy...it sounds like a great game, but all the threads are for questions, and no reviews.

thanks in advance

Re:Comments and Reviews..

[Post New]by Threetoedsloth on Oct 11, 10 8:26 AM
I am lost the minute I opened it up I am not silly but there are no clues whatsoever on this. A little bit, no quite a bit over the top for me I can't even leave the game as each time I have saved it I come back and find I need to start all over again waste of money for me good luck to you thou!!

[Post New]by DutchStar2005 on Oct 21, 10 2:42 PM
I've been working and playing with computers for 25 years and I'm LOST with this game. No tutorial no help here but apparently I'm not alone!

kelnjor
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,088 Posts

[Post New]by kelnjor on Oct 25, 10 5:39 PM
yes..i did end up buying this game, and while it was a beautifully made game, the graphics where outstanding, it really took alot of imagination and patience at times!
i ended up needing the walk through a couple of times, and i never use walkthroughs as i feel it ruins the game, and prefer to figure out on my own, but this game nearly drove me mad!!
Also the 360 degree view nearly made me sick the first part of game, until i got used to it.
definitely a game which could take literally hours to get through, if you are patient enough (or just really smart ) to get through on your own, the one good thing is different things can be solved alot of different ways..plenty of places to explore & interesting storyline..if you like the show "Lost" you will probably enjoy this...as for me, i haven't gotten the courage up yet to tackle the sequel

Dynastia
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Dynastia on Jan 17, 11 2:30 PM
(Something that might be a spoiler for some follows. If not, it might help a lot)
I agree with you Kelnjor.
If we absolutely need a walkthrough then it is a waste of money because this type of game asks for thinking by ourselves.
One thing I realized is that I should have tried to recharge the batteries much earlier with the encyclopedia being helpful many times (when clicking an item).

It has a good length but most of the time spent is trying different combinations with the many items, especially if the encyclopedia is not available.
I was used to 3D with Playstation so it does not bother me at all. What brought some discomfort is the trembling rambling noise that makes the whole screen shake.
There are a few action scenes that give it a good replayibility, along with the different possibilities of what to do to succeed, and the points we get at the end.
I got a 282 the first time and I used only one hint about how to do one thing in particular, that only confirmed what I knew already (I was tired).
We have to remember that some people thought about how THEY would do things on the island. I personally would have processed differently for many things and that is why I usually am a bit frustrated with this type of exploration games. The thing is, we don't only have to know what we would do but we have to be wise enough to imagine what other people decided it would be. And not all of us, if not many of us, know how to mix certain ingredients in particular situations.

Having said that, as many members do, I recommend this game.

[Post New]by pbafish on Jan 24, 11 8:48 AM
I really enjoyed this game - played it twice, and enjoyed it each time. There are enough variations that there are new parts each time thru. Had to check a walkthru a couple of times when I was really stuck as there are no hints within the game. Be curious! Explore lots! This game can take days to play, good value for money, expecially if you enjoy being challenged and thinking creatively.

nobigshot
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by nobigshot on Feb 2, 11 4:39 PM
Not my favorite. The chemistry section was ridiculous. Had to use walkthrough despite years of experience. Moreover, it wasn't logical.
If you don't mind using walkthrough, it's a LONG game so you get a lot of bang for your buck, but I wouldn't buy it again. I'm bored and frustrated by the list of chemicals and the fact that I don't have enough of them to do what needs doing.

Bookhound
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Bookhound on Feb 6, 11 4:27 AM
nobigshot wrote:Not my favorite. The chemistry section was ridiculous. Had to use walkthrough despite years of experience. Moreover, it wasn't logical.
If you don't mind using walkthrough, it's a LONG game so you get a lot of bang for your buck, but I wouldn't buy it again. I'm bored and frustrated by the list of chemicals and the fact that I don't have enough of them to do what needs doing.

All of the "chemicals" that you need come from minerals on the island and can be found in two places. In the Granite House and across the river where the bridge was broken.
Hope this makes it less frustrating for you.

Bookhound
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Bookhound on Feb 6, 11 5:36 AM
I just finished the game and I LOVED it! I'm downloading Mina's Fate as I type. Its right up there with Syberia I and II and with Sherlock Holmes: Awakened, & VS Arsene Lupine.
My only complaint is that they had Mina do all these things in two days. It should have taken her weeks.
After washing up on shore and needing to eat right away, I kept expecting that little health meter to show up again and tell me I needed to eat again or sleep. Mina never eats a single thing after that first meal. I thought that was weird.
I finished the game in one day. They could have made it last a lot longer by having her need food and sleep at more reasonable intervals. I mean, she made a ton of bricks, fired them and laid them in one day. That's just not possible. I like reality in my games. I am hoping part two takes that into consideration.
Otherwise, it was VERY enjoyable and the scenery is fantastic.

ihateny
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by ihateny on Feb 6, 11 9:48 AM
It took me three tries to download and install this game. I was all set to waste the day on what promises to be the sort of game I like; HOWEVER, I have a major issue with the gameplay.

SUpposedly clicking the right mouse accesses the inventory area. WHen I reight click, the games closes. And supposedly the ESC game allows the menu to pop up so you can save and exit. Ha! Hitting ESC gave me a blank screen with audio only. To exit the game I had tgo to my task manager.

I scanned the forums and didn't see any mention of these issues. When I have the game running, the bottom left-hand corner displays the health meter. When I grab something, like the key, it appears in the upper right-hand for a while and then disappears, presumably into the inventory screen. But I can't acces that screen!

This is SuperBORE SUnday, right? I sure hope somebody out there is available to help. I really want to play this game!!!!!!

mysticmomma
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by mysticmomma on Feb 12, 11 10:23 AM
I'm having a problem getting the game to install. It downloaded fine but gets to the install part and won't. Funny thing is I also downloaded :2", a much larger file, and didn't have a problem. Just can't figure this out. I have plenty of space on my hard drive but get the error message:

The installer could not write files to the Game Directory location you have chosen on drive c. (769-2)

I dont even know where to look to see where it is trying to install, but I didnt do anything different.

I'm cursed I tell ya, cursed. Help...sob.

mysticmomma
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by mysticmomma on Feb 12, 11 11:48 AM
OK keep your fins crossed my little fishy friends. I unenstalled and have almost gotten them both downloaded lets see if my problem is solved.

[Post New]by pritchett383 on Mar 3, 11 1:15 PM
I will never again buy a game I can not try first. This game has no where that tells you anything at all. If you get stuck there is no where to go. I am sure it would be an amazing game if there was even a wee bit of help in the beginning. When it started I was on a beach and never did find out how to get off. So I would think twice about buying a game that you can not try.

JAFSLG1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by JAFSLG1 on Mar 8, 11 4:10 PM
Beautiful graphics, but impossible to play without a "Walkthrough". There really doesn't appear to be any logic that leads you to make the right decisions. I'm not sure it makes sense to buy and play version 2.

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Mar 5, 12 11:52 AM
I absolutely LOVED this game. It's an Adventure game so the controls and techniques are different than they are in a casual HOG. The graphics are beautiful, a very good story, saving set-up is easy, re-play value is the ultimate. An EXCELLENT, high quality game. There is no hand-holding. You must think about what to do and how to do it and search thoroughly with your mouse. The more objects you find and the more tasks completed, the more game play opens up. My congrats to the Devs and to BF...thank you.

Go to: