Help with Southwood!

[Post New]by rescuedpug on Jul 14, 10 12:13 AM
I have passed all other levels with gold cups but can not pass Softwood for the life of me! I have a silver cup but REALLY want a gold cup for all levels. Any hints? Do you sell all buildings? Keep the wood mills? Keep the Inn? Build as many wood mills as possible? I have been trying to maximize profit in order to buy wood but maybe I need to just build mills? I can reach the needed population but can not get the needed wood, the closest I have come is ~15,000. Any hints will be greatly appreciated.

Edited on 07/14/2010 at 12:18:39 AM PST

Help with Southwood!

[Post New]by aa1122 on Sep 29, 10 7:20 PM
rescuedpug wrote:I have passed all other levels with gold cups but can not pass Softwood for the life of me! I have a silver cup but REALLY want a gold cup for all levels. Any hints? Do you sell all buildings? Keep the wood mills? Keep the Inn? Build as many wood mills as possible? I have been trying to maximize profit in order to buy wood but maybe I need to just build mills? I can reach the needed population but can not get the needed wood, the closest I have come is ~15,000. Any hints will be greatly appreciated.

Emmy142
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

Re:Help with Southwood!

[Post New]by Emmy142 on Oct 17, 10 12:18 PM
Copying from my other post on the subject:

Mallory I imagine you have already beat this but I will give it a shot. I got rid of everything but the two upper lumber mills and started over. Built a stone mine to keep up my stone inventory. Build barracks and then built 3 trader houses and a farm. I then upgraded my trader houses to royal as quickly as I could. I also upgraded my barracks and put in a wizard tower. You can't do everything at one time. Get the trader houses in as they lower the cost of your building materials and generate a lot of money to start. In the end this is what I had:

10 advance lumber mills
4 royals trader houses
2 royal farms
1 advance mill
2 royal barracks
1 wizard tower
1 stone mine
All the rest of the spots I filled with royal town houses

I had a 1384 gp, could protect 320, food for 270 and town capacity of 268. I just bought all the lumber I could and beat it in about 10 weeks.

Get the trader houses in, upgrade them, put in two more lumber mills, advance them. Then start adding town houses, upgrading as you go. Then more lumber mills. Put in farms and more barracks, upgrading, so you can feed and protect all the town people. Once the money starts flowing, keep buying the lumber.

I hope this helps.

cstdenis
Salmon
Salmon
2,948 Posts

[Post New]by cstdenis on Jan 22, 12 6:23 PM
How did you keep the monsters from disabling all of your buildings? I can't keep up with them.
Any help would be appreciated.

[Post New]by betterthanqwerty on May 4, 12 11:27 AM
I start with a Farm, 2 Trader Houses (TH) and a wizard tower [WT]. The tower should be where it can reach the lumber mills.
-Demolish 1 lumber mill, build a stone mine.
-Build a TH, then another.
-Build a Barracks [towers don't offer citizen protection], expanding to the right.
-Build a WT [you will have to buy stone as soon as you can].
-Upgrade all to Royal or as far as you can.
-Build 3 TH
-Build a Mill
-Build a Farm.
-Build a WT
-Build a Barracks
-Upgrade all to Royal or as far as you can [about this time you should be generating money as fast as you need it so you can buy maximum material each time] As you are upgrading add to your workers until you get 8, i.e. upgrade something and while waiting, get another worker. You might even start that earlier.
-Build Town Houses and upgrade to Royal until capacity is about 220 or so.
-Start buying wood.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Help with Southwood!

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Mar 25, 13 9:17 PM
@cstdennis: You don't, necessarily. After each wave, you check the Info page, and if anything is suspiciously reduced, it's been destroyed 100% and you have to Repair it.

Any lesser destruction is better handled by Upgrading (if possible) the building, which gives a better return on investment.

Wizard Towers and Mage Academies help more than Mage Towers and Barracks. Those, too, you upgrade as quickly as possible.

However, you need enough Trader Houses to keep your revenue from falling into the negative, which so far as I'm concerned ruins things. (At least one player swears by a Royal Lumber Mill and Royal Stone Mine, and allowing negative cash flow. I admit I haven't tried that, partly because I haven't been desperate, but mostly because I only saw it late and don't like it anyway!)

Note that building a plain wooden house for 250 Wood w/ 2 Workers immediately returns 1,000 gp when demolished, which may let you buy Stone or a Hero you couldn't otherwise afford.

Edited on 09/05/2013 at 10:22:34 PM PST

Go to: