bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Build-a-Lot: The Elizabethan Era

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 14, 10 12:37 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Build-a-Lot: The Elizabethan Era? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Build-a-Lot: The Elizabethan Era

[Post New]by govols2 on Jul 14, 10 1:39 AM
I've been waiting for this one. Had a credit and needed one more for a card so it was a buy for me. Similar to the other one's so far. One difference is the choice of upgrades instead of just the automatic one. The music is ok but I don't usually have sound on. I don't play BAL consistently so I am not bored with them yet. I have been playing for an hour and a half (skipping the tutorials) and I don't think I am anywhere near done. The time limit can be a problem. I kept restarting on a couple of them until I figured out what I was doing wrong. Except for the guy who keeps commenting in the corner I am enjoying this game.

Just checked. There are 45 levels and I am at level 15 after 2 hours.

Edited on 07/14/2010 at 2:15:11 AM PST

Nansky69
Herring
Herring
357 Posts

[Post New]by Nansky69 on Jul 14, 10 2:50 AM
It's just more of the same and still no relaxed mode, I hate it when I have to do everything over again because I ran out of time. They should make it like Create a Mall or Royal Envoy, you get gold when you finish in time, if you don't you can still continue the game.

laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by laeddie on Jul 14, 10 4:33 AM
I have also been waiting for this game to be offered. I was not going to pay for Collectors edition elsewhere. And my only complaint is concerning the time limit. I am a BAL fanatic and enjoyed the 1 hour trial elsewhere so I WILL buy today.

mountfalcon
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by mountfalcon on Jul 14, 10 5:01 AM
I'd been looking forward to this one, too; but I just can't stand the ignorant pseudo-Elizabethan language, and couldn't go past the first five minutes. Modern English would have been fine - in fact modern French would have been fine rather than this gibberish. I enjoyed the other BALs, but I can't take this one.

Anniejo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,109 Posts

[Post New]by Anniejo on Jul 14, 10 5:12 AM
Just D/L as I have been waiting for this one too.

ultravl
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by ultravl on Jul 14, 10 8:26 AM
OMG WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT...............
YUCK

[Post New]by CheerfulDragon8 on Jul 14, 10 8:44 AM
The ability to choose your own upgrades is the only thing in favour of this game. Other than that, it's just the same old Build-a-lot with the added irritation of mock-Elizabethan language. I think I'll pass.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 14, 10 2:12 PM
I'm just starting to play the demo - just did a couple tutorial levels before coming here to the forums to look at comments and reviews.

This is the first Build-a-Lot I've demo-ed - at least the first since I started having any real interest in TM games. I think I might get bored if I were playing what would look like normal middle-class US surroundings, so I thought this one might be a good one for me to try. However, the stilted ye olde English is a bit off-putting...

Since I'm here in the forums with you Build-a-lot junkies, do you have any recommendations for me as to maybe the best one to consider starting out with?

Edited on 07/14/2010 at 2:12:54 PM PST

Ratatouille
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Ratatouille on Jul 14, 10 3:17 PM
It baffles me why some developpers insist on not adding a relaxed/untimed mode to their games... (love the way it's done in Royal Envoy and many others). Such a simple thing to do. I guess they don't care about selling their games to as many customers as possible? Ha.

Alas for me and them: no untimed mode = no buy.

Edited on 07/14/2010 at 3:19:51 PM PST

lovelyrita019
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by lovelyrita019 on Jul 14, 10 5:06 PM
I agree~a relaxed/untimed option would be great. I don't know if I'll buy or not.

Pippin1978
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Pippin1978 on Jul 14, 10 5:32 PM
There IS a casual mode to click on in the beginning! The FUN is beating the time, however. I guess I'm just a Build-a-lot junky, but I LOVE this one too! I think these are the most well designed TM games out there. Been waiting for this new one, and I love it! It's more of the same, but a BLAST, like the others! I say GO FOR IT, if you love the Build-a-lots. I think it's a slick game, like they all are. FUN for hours! KINDA easier in the beginning, but in the later levels, a real challenge. It's GOOD!! Must force myself to quit and go fix dinner, LOL

Pippin1978
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Pippin1978 on Jul 14, 10 5:34 PM
You can click on "campaign" or the "casual" mode, so it IS available! Right on the first screen.

tanawill
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by tanawill on Jul 14, 10 5:51 PM
gimmegames wrote:I'm just starting to play the demo - just did a couple tutorial levels before coming here to the forums to look at comments and reviews.

This is the first Build-a-Lot I've demo-ed - at least the first since I started having any real interest in TM games. I think I might get bored if I were playing what would look like normal middle-class US surroundings, so I thought this one might be a good one for me to try. However, the stilted ye olde English is a bit off-putting...

Since I'm here in the forums with you Build-a-lot junkies, do you have any recommendations for me as to maybe the best one to consider starting out with?

I recommend Build-A-Lot 2. It's considered the best.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 14, 10 7:24 PM
Thank you I will have a look at it . At least I can learn to play in modern English lol.

Update: I did play the BAL 2 demo, and I do think it was an easier one to learn to play on. Then I played this one, and then started to play the Passport to Europe one, and demo-ed (the non-BAL) Built-in-Time. (- hey I'm far too busy playing games to have a life lol).

Demo-ed the BAL Power one too. I think the only one I didn't demo was the original BAL. My conclusion is that it's not my sort of game quite. I totally got off on My Kingdom for the Princess, which was mostly just clearing and repairing roads to get the princess home - infrastructure. Guess I'm more of a civil engineer than an architect -- or maybe that side of me got played out in The Sims Stories and The Sims 3.

I'm thinking my best follow up for My Kingdom for the Princess is likely Royal Envoy.

Edited on 07/17/2010 at 10:14:25 PM PST

dove947
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by dove947 on Jul 14, 10 7:28 PM
I have really been looking forward to a new BAL game for quite a while. I agree that it is rather difficult (even frustrating at times) to have the pressure of a deadline that will stop your play after enjoying Royal Envoy. I can't wait for a walkthrough as I am already having problems getting through one of the levels. If you can't get through, you're stuck. Simple as that. I've tried and tried, and I am an experienced BAL gameplayer (have played and beat them all so far). I might set it aside for now and wait for one of you geniuses to finish and write a walkthrough : ) . After all, there are SO many BFGs out there still to play. I love BFG. I have spent close to a thousand dollars here so far (maybe more, don't want to look TOO closely!) and will continue to enjoy the games and customer service for years to come, I hope.

[Post New]by lswhite369 on Jul 14, 10 7:49 PM
[i]Guess Im a little different from most--but i love it--and all the BAL games --really enjoyed playing and look forward to playing it like all the rest over and over--what I like most of these games is the challenge to complete them in time and if I don't I do my very best to the next time and do it as fast i can by remembering my mistajkes or what I did the game before time ran out--Now they can make a western one that would be really interesting I think..i just love playing big Fish Games there a fun game site and Its very enjoyable everytime that I play these games

Edited on 07/14/2010 at 7:50:44 PM PST

laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by laeddie on Jul 15, 10 9:36 AM
For Pippin1978: I don't know if you have played the other BAL games But They all offered a casual game. That is NOT the same as games that have a relaxed/untimed mode. You must complete 3-5 levels at career game to gain entrance to another casual game which offers player opportunity to play for a money goal in a much easier format. Different casual games are unlocked as you progress thru the career levels. This game does not have a relaxed/untimed mode;if you do not complete the level on time you must start over. This what we all are complaining about.

[Post New]by chicagoguy49 on Jul 16, 10 4:44 AM
I have liked all of the BAL games. I agree that the "Olde English" was a bit much but I find this enjoyable nonetheless. The farms were a good new twist and the game is challenging enough yet for the most part one can figure out how to get through the levels. I am stuck on level 27 right now but I am sure I will proceed to finish this. I think they have done a better job of keeping the newer versions of this fresh than say Farm Frenzy where the later games are just rehashes of the earlier ones.

nelly153
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by nelly153 on Jul 16, 10 8:01 AM
Honestly I love the BAL games but this is probably my least favourite. The bad Elizabethan English was very annoying, the upgrade choice is pointless as you cant see the upgrade, all this does is make you have to click the mouse an extra time every time you upgrade a house. I don't think the graphics are as nice as previous versions and the houses all were fairly unattractive and you don't get the choice to pretty them up with paint etc....

Having said that I have played the game right through and got expert on every level pretty much first time and whilst I sympathise with those who prefer not to play in timed mode, I really enjoy this and actually being an experienced BAL player did not find this much of a challenge.

Go to: