ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

Some hints for new players (no spoilers)

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jul 14, 10 1:54 PM
I only play untimed, so those of you who play timed need to think whether this applies to you.

Bonuses: You get a bomb for matching 5 or more. You will find that most big matches will occur through cascades. More on matching below. The smallest bomb (looks like a firecracker) clears a cross of 5 spaces, and they go on up from there. I believe all bombs (not the "lightning") can be activated either by double-clicking or by moving. The lightning (which I think happens after you have activated a certain number of bombs) has to be moved (more later).

Bonus strategy: Some spaces (like long single-cell lines) are extremely hard to clear except with bombs. Use your bombs there if at all possible. Bombs are also good for clearing chains. (Don't waste them -- some chains do not need to be cleared quickly, or maybe not at all.)

Getting five-or-more matches: Unlike shorter matches, 5-or-more matches don't have to be linear. The can be L-shapes, T-shapes, or crosses of 5 or more. The T-shape is the easiest to make but sometimes the hardest to see. Looking for opportunities to match 5 or more is very helpful, especially after using a bomb.

Edited on 07/15/2010 at 12:17:30 PM PST

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

Re:Some hints for new players (no spoilers)

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jul 14, 10 2:03 PM
(continued . . .)

Thanks to Askey for clearing up my confusion about the lightning! The reason you have to move the lightning is that it will remove (or reduce one level) each token of the kind you exchange the lightning token with. So, if you need to get rid of that pesky blue octopus in that solitary space in the middle, exchange the lightning with a blue octopus token. Now . . . if only one were always ready at hand! Note that the lightning is useful for clearing chains in critical and impossible-to-reach places.

Empty cells: Empty cells (those that show up as a cell, but they are not filled with a token because of a chained cell holding back the drop) can be filled with a trade. In other words, you can move a token into an empty cell to make a match between filled cells. This can be very useful. I have actually broken a chain by moving a matching token into the empty cell below the chain. Keeping the possibility in mind can be very helpful.

Using up bombs: The game gives some credit even for "non-productive" moves, that is, destroying tokens that do not break any new tiles or chains. So it is helpful to blow up all bombs, even if they are in a spot where they will not advance the game otherwise. Also, bombs act as shufflers of tokens, and I'm always surprised at how much good they do in providing new matches. Best of all, using bombs will eventually get you a lightning power-up, which may solve your problems.

Enjoy the game. I am having a great time with it.

Edited on 07/15/2010 at 12:23:20 PM PST

[Post New]by Dhambone on Oct 1, 10 4:32 PM
How in the world do you feed the fish? I can't figure it out.

jodice
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by jodice on Oct 25, 10 3:40 PM
Dhambone, you have to buy the feeder...:-)

Sparty94
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Sparty94 on Mar 15, 11 6:10 AM
Bought feeder, but it is empty. Fish are begging for their food.....how do I feed them?

[Post New]by analogmama on Apr 15, 11 10:45 AM
The fish will go to the feeder and eat by themselves.

[Post New]by ritaw24u on Aug 17, 11 2:28 PM
Dhambone wrote:How in the world do you feed the fish? I can't figure it out.

[Post New]by WVNobody on Jun 7, 12 8:57 AM
I have tried everything here, bought feeder, bought more fish, more plants, etc. yet still I get the thought bubbles from the fish that they want more food, or get the one with the nurses outfit. How do I get more food, and why isn't it in the help section on the game? I'm getting frustrated beyond frustrated, and am thinking about dumping this game.

melouria
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by melouria on Aug 11, 12 12:43 PM
Click on the feeder and the fish will go to it. At least that is what worked for me.

[Post New]by cdokee on Aug 7, 13 10:19 PM
Sparty94 wrote:Bought feeder, but it is empty. Fish are begging for their food.....how do I feed them?

Go to: