bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for The Great Gatsby

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 15, 10 12:25 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of The Great Gatsby? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Great Gatsby

[Post New]by indigo_ladybug on Jul 15, 10 1:24 AM
OMGOSH! flashback to highschool English Lit! ROFL! I so have to try this.

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Jul 15, 10 1:45 AM
Possible spoiler to follow:

My thoughts are a bit torn on this game so far.

The game play is fun and has some new elements.

I have not read this book, nor seen any movies about it.

I would not consider myself a prude, nor do I think that others who know me would either.

This being said, I kinda raised my eyebrows at mixing alcoholic drinks.

Then the mistress/adultery thing made me a little uncomfortable.

But the real kicker for me is the casual mention of the man breaking his mistress' nose for saying his wife's name.

Am I being overly sensitive here?

I know that some games deal with murder and such, but this all just seemed...
not even sure how to describe it.. just uncomfortable.

Which really sucks because I like the game play and was curious about the story.

Is the game simply following the story? Could the (IMO) PG-13, or worse stuff have been left out and the story still be told well?

Still undecided

ETA:

I hesitated to write this up because I didn't want people not trying the demo based on this. The game has good points. Everyone should try it and decide for themselves.

Edited on 07/15/2010 at 2:28:37 AM PST

88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

[Post New]by 88blyth on Jul 15, 10 1:48 AM
me too...i was a bit surprised to see about the broken nose...we all moan about some games we play but i dont think i have come accross a man breaking a womans nose before!!
love theresa

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Jul 15, 10 1:51 AM
Well, that does it for me. NO BUY!
That is just totally unnecessary.

LilyCat
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by LilyCat on Jul 15, 10 2:23 AM
Well, as far as I can tell all the quotes are taken directly from the book, which is considered to be one of the greatest works of American literature, and is widely studied in high schools.

Bear in mind it was written in the 1920s, and as a book I'd say the content is pretty mild compared to almost any of today's novels.

Whether or not it's suitable for adaptation as a computer game is a matter of opinion.

anonymiss
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by anonymiss on Jul 15, 10 2:37 AM
From what I understand, this game is based on the book by F Scott Fitzgerald of the same name. I did read this in school (and granted, that's quite a few years ago!!), however, I can't really remember the majority of the storyline. That being said, although I agree that nowadays many of the issues people seem to have with this game are considered archaic and more than a little unsettling, particularly domestic violence (well, except for the mixing drinks part, personally, that doesn't bother me, but each to their own), if the game is based on the book, I don't think it would hold true to form had it not kept with the storyline. Just my opinion for what it's worth.. (ie. not much LOL).

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jul 15, 10 2:54 AM
I agree with anonymiss comments.
Just my opinion but turning the news on gives us far more graphic details of life than any game.
Feel one can't develop a game based on a classic, unless the game is true to form. Never once has the mixing of cocktails had me heading to a detox centre, nor reading about domestic violence urged me to punch my hubby on the nose!
That's real life; and of course if we use games (like soap operas as a form of escapism), then this game may not be for you.
Children know far more these days about life than ever before. If parents deem the game unsuitable for their kids, they can easily uninstall it.

sylmide
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by sylmide on Jul 15, 10 3:04 AM
I have just finished playing the demo and i have to say i like it, and will be buying it. I treat it for what it is, just a game and our kids play a lot worse than what this is.Cheers to all.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Jul 15, 10 3:10 AM
sylmide wrote:I have just finished playing the demo and i have to say i like it, and will be buying it. I treat it for what it is, just a game and our kids play a lot worse than what this is.Cheers to all.

Sylmide, I am in total agreement with you! Kids see much more on TV and on the streets, etc than in this game....anyways, I loved it and will be buying it as well...to each their own

wenegade
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by wenegade on Jul 15, 10 3:21 AM
I also will be purchasing it. With all the "hidden object" games around, it's refreshing to have one come up with some different type mini games etc for you to do. As for the content...I agree that it's rather archaic but it has held to the story-line and that's ok with me. You can't just change a story because it's contrary to your beliefs. With all the hidden object games around...if it bothers you that much, I'd say find another one. I'm just playing a game...not setting moral standards here. As far as game content, for me. this is a "buy"

b00kworm
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

[Post New]by b00kworm on Jul 15, 10 3:26 AM
I'm with you when it comes to a game based on a book staying true to that book. As I'm German, "The Great Gatsby" was not school reading material (though there's quite some books you don't get away from at school in Germany, too), and I have never read the story before.

While domestic violence surely is a topic of its own, it is part of the story. In the 1920s, the time where the story is set, both alcohol and domestic violence were seen completely different from today. Besides, the scene tells us a lot about some main characters (the man and his mistress) and thus has a reason to be there. It's not just violence for violence's sake.

If the game had changed the approach of the main characters to either of these topics, it would no longer be true to the novel. Then it would just be a game borrowing a well-know title (well, well-known in the US at least) and bending the story any way it sees fit. That's not a game based on a novel at all, then.

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Jul 15, 10 3:42 AM
A definite buy for me The mini-games are fun and different from the usual, the graphics are clear and unencumbered. The story itself is taken from a classic novel that I read in high school, later re-read as an adult and when made into a movie, went to see that. There are no screen resolution or technical problems.

Faylyn

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 15, 10 3:49 AM
I wish people wouldn't post about how they disapprove of an element of a game's story when they aren't familiar with the source material. I'm sorry if this comes across as rude, but the drinking of alcohol was an integral part of the novel and it's sort of ridiculous to get on your high horse complaining about it.

Edited on 07/15/2010 at 3:49:39 AM PST

froggie10
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by froggie10 on Jul 15, 10 4:00 AM
Boy people it's just a Game! And a different one from all the other HOGS,I've never read the book or seen the movie but it is a definite Buy for me

onetoomany
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by onetoomany on Jul 15, 10 4:10 AM
It's good there are forums to write about different game issues. It's OK when a brief reference to "punching a woman in the nose" and the alcohol thing was posted for those who are sensitive to these issues and are made aware that this is in the game.

Let's face it, most of the people on this site are women and most of this group is over 40. By this age, we should be aware of the "not so nice" things that make up our culture whether through experience or news. I greatly respect the concern about domestic violence. I am not condoning it.

This was a MAJOR movie adapted from the original novel and the game is taking "direct quotes" from a literary work. If this game was sugarcoating "The Great Gatsby" everyone would be writing about the game not following the orignal storyline. I hope the forthcoming reviews are more about gameplay, graphics, etc. Personally in the preview what caught my eye, was mixing the drinks .....never saw that before! So far I'm enjoying the game and bought it.
If hears enough about these concerns, they can put a disclaimer on the game's page if it warrants one.

It's OK to reference domestic violence and alcohol in the review, but if its going to overpower the game review, could someone please start a new forum topic so people have a place to address this important, highly emotional issue at length?

Edited on 07/15/2010 at 4:44:38 AM PST

4mybirds4
Salmon
Salmon
2,663 Posts

[Post New]by 4mybirds4 on Jul 15, 10 4:15 AM
Well, different strokes for different folks.
I rather liked the game. The graphics were clear, no timer, and the hints recharged rather quickly. I only wish there was a walkthrough (if there is, I missed it) to see approximately how long the game was.
I will probably be buying this one.

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Jul 15, 10 4:35 AM
I tried the demo and didn't like the gameplay. I didn't like the washed-out graphics, the characters being so chatty in the dialogue, and the cursor flipping out when you click too much. Everything in the game annoyed me to the point where I couldn't even finish the demo. Not a buy for me but I wanted to like it because I love literature. Too bad they didn't do a better job of developing this game.

annatar
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
425 Posts

[Post New]by annatar on Jul 15, 10 4:45 AM
onetoomany: I totally agree with you! Too many designated review-threads (for many games) have sadly drowned in the discussion of some particular issue or other, which takes the focus away from the actual topic of the thread. While I don't mind people discussing their special issues about a game in separate threads, I think that the designated BFG Reviews thread should stick to just that, because we NEED a thread of true reviews for each game. It's too difficult getting an impression of a game if you have to wade through a myriad of "other" posts in search of actual reviews - in a Review thread...

(Of course I'm stepping in it myself by not posting any review yet, but I'm not done playing it yet... will get back to it when that's done.)

Edited on 07/15/2010 at 4:54:30 AM PST

Teach496
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by Teach496 on Jul 15, 10 5:10 AM
I did the demo of this on another site and I loved it. It was so refreshing to have a HOG with objects where they are in real life. I also liked that I wasn't traipsing around Egypt looking in junk piles of ipods and cell phones for my missing grandfather/husband/magic box to release the demon curse!
Its only one person's opinion, but the game follows the book quite well and I, for one, enjoyed the dialog and the period music.
A much anticipated buy for me.

Go to: