bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Golden Trails: The New Western Rush

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 15, 10 12:26 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Golden Trails: The New Western Rush? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Golden Trails: The New Western Rush

[Post New]by amj0963 on Jul 15, 10 12:30 AM
i played this game on another site and waited to purchase until bfg got it. it isn't exactly an ihog but there are some interactive scenes. i like shooting the bad guy to get more hints. i am going to replay to give a better review but i just wanted to make everyone aware that on the sign in screen if you look in the upper left corner where it says extras there is a built in walkthrough and if you get 150 sheriffs badges there is an extra mission, plus it has wallpapers and things like that.

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Jul 15, 10 12:41 AM
Beautiful graphics, voice overs are quite well done with just the right cowboy accents, great music and sound effects. Objects are pictured and are keeping with the western type theme. Don't think this is a short one either...looks like plenty to do with going on vacation, solving a robbery, meeting a lady love and who knows what else befalls our hero the sherriff. High quality game. A definite buy here.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Jul 15, 10 2:04 AM
I know some will think this is ridiculous. But, I just can't get myself to shoot em cowboy. Not even in a game.. So no buy here.
Graphics are amazing and the voice overs are good. The guns and shooting I can do without.

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Jul 15, 10 2:09 AM
This is a fun game!! The main character, Jack is a Clint Eastwood wanna be. He's got the squinty eyes and the voice to match. When I heard him speak the first time I cracked up! The other characters have personality that goes well with their look. You play a Sheriff that is told by your boss to take a vacation, so off you go. When you get to the town where you expect to find rest and relaxation, you come across a bank robbery. So instead of taking that vacation, you spend the time to search for the robber or robbers. You will meet several people whom are all suspects and you have to piece together clues to come up with who the robber is.
Graphics are awesome! Bright, clean crisp colors! There wasn't anything that hurt my eyes, no crazy flashes of light, nothing blurry and nothing so teeny tiny you get a headache from staring at the screen.
The hidden objects aren't too hard to locate, and other times they are so right there in your face you don't see them right away so you will find some of them a challenge. So I found that a good mix. The objects you locate are as a picture list, rather than a word list. Some objects you can't obtain until you get a tool from another scene. So, yes, you do have to go back and forth some, but you can use the map to get to where you want to go. When you are completely done with a particular scene and area, the map will show a green check mark.
You will have badges to find to add to your score. When you've found all the badges that are in a scene, a pop up will let you know. To increase the amount of hints you want, you have to shoot the outlaws/gangsters. There is no blood or anyone falling to the ground dead. It's like those old fashioned target practices they have at fairs. You would want to keep your sound on, because there is a whoosh sound just as they enter the screen and only appear for a second. Gotta be fast with the draw!
The music is typical country western twang playing in the background which doesn't sound bad and goes well with the atmosphere.
I bought this one without bothering with the demo because I knew when I tested it that it was a game I wanted. I recommend this one and really feel ya'll will have a great deal of fun with it. This one has a huge from me!

Edited on 07/15/2010 at 12:52:31 PM PST

anonymiss
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by anonymiss on Jul 15, 10 2:19 AM
Oh my, what a surprise (of the pleasant variety!) this game was. I say that because:

a) I'm not a fan of westerns and/or western-themed games, books, TV shows or movies;
b) I usually loathe voice overs in games; and
c) I normally pass on any HOG/IHOG that uses pictures of items to find instead of words.

However, with Golden Trails, all 3 of the above didn't bother me in the least. I played about 20 minutes before making the decision to purchase it. So far I'm thoroughly enjoying this game. The graphics are absolutely oustanding & crystal clear (no junk piles!!), the sound effects & music are not intrusive and add just the right amount of ambience, and the storyline itself is quite interesting. I like the added bonus of trophies for various tasks (even though that in itself isn't normally a drawcard for me), and the option of gaining extra hints (shooting outlaws) while perhaps offensive to some (and I'm not a fan of guns) is quirky enough to keep the game interesting - and at the end of the day, it is just a game so I don't think it's worth getting worked up over (for me personally anyway).

All in all, this is a first rate HOG/IHOG and well worth the $6.99 purchase price. 4/5 stars.

Happy gaming all!

Edited on 07/15/2010 at 2:20:37 AM PST

[Post New]by happygrams18 on Jul 15, 10 2:28 AM
I am still playing the demo, but I am so impressed with this game. I will know more after I look at the walkthrough to get an idea of its length. I am still in the town trying to determine who the thief is. I like the music, the voice of the sheriff, the graphics, the story line, the suggestion that Mary...pretty girl the sheriff is already eyeing...is going to be his girl one day. Ah...even a little romance. BUT.... don't let that stop you men. You will try to get the robbers that appear every once in awhile. Someone said, 'there is no blood, no gore, no seeing them fall' It is just the suggestion that you MAY have hit at the robber, but you don't know that...your points go up.

I am quite sure at this time that I will be buying the game. I will come back tomorrow and give the game a grade. In the meantime...play the demo and make your own call on the game. We all have different tastes.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 15, 10 2:37 AM
I this game and have bought it after playing for less than half an hour.

C

besstan
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by besstan on Jul 15, 10 3:20 AM
love this game thank you just my sort of gam going to buy now 90 100besstan

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Jul 15, 10 3:27 AM
Guess I'm swimming against the tide on this one. I beta'd it and didn't care for it. I just didn't hold my interest.

ajwiggin
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by ajwiggin on Jul 15, 10 3:28 AM
One word "Fantastic"!

mountfalcon
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by mountfalcon on Jul 15, 10 4:06 AM
I've been waiting for this one - I beta-tested it, and was really disappointed when I had to stop. Everything is so well-coordinated that the whole experience is enjoyable, even the music, which I normally turn down to a minimum or off. The pop-up villains can be a bit distracting, but it's a small price to pay for something this good.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Jul 15, 10 4:23 AM
Have played half an hour of demo but I don't think this will be for me. Just plain Hidden Object scene after scene, no puzzles or mini-games so far so doesn't hold my interest. Music got on my nerves so turned off. Sorry, but I found it boring. (Just my opinion .)

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jul 15, 10 4:36 AM
I don't think this is a spoiler: When the bandits pop up (the ones you shoot to earn extra hints) there is a certain sound - it's kind of like whoosh. That way you can pay attention to your search and just listen for that noise! It works for me anyway. The demo just ran out on me and I will definitely purchase this one - what a fun game!! I never thought I would buy another game that is mostly straight HOG - but this one has a lot going for it - very fun and amusing. Didn't even realize I was itching for a game like this one, but here it is! I was almost done with the demo when I realized I was supposed to be looking for badges in the scenes... duh on me!! Guess I should have let it play the tutorial but I am bad about always skipping those... For all who are wondering about this game - give the demo a whirl, it's a fun one.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Jul 15, 10 4:39 AM
I didn't find any gold in this one either I did try this game at another site as well , I played 1/2 the demo & that was more then enough for this cowgirl ,,Shooting blanks for me &, Don't shoot the messenger .!!! ,,,dry spell !!! Cheers

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Jul 15, 10 5:01 AM
Great reviews from everyone which is always a big help.

I'm betwixt and between on this one. I really don't like HOG's and, as QEIII just said, it's one **** scene after another. Still, there is a lot to like. The graphics are crisp and bright with a wonderful western ambiance. (It reminds me a lot of Freddie Pharkas, Frontier Pharmacist, a classic of early gaming!) The music and voice overs are first-rate so you can slide into this western town and feel right at home. ''Where's my chewin' tobaccee, Slim?''

On the minus side, a few of the objects are mis-sized or or are peeking out from around or under something. I hate that. As a result, I enjoy most of every scene but am always left with those last few sticklers. I hate having to stick my nose on the screen to find something. Finding a coffee mug disguised a a big planter really annoyed me. Mis-sized. But, the game is untimed so you can relax and enjoy the hunt. (I think you can opt into a time challenge for more points a little later. Please correct me, if wrong)

The big saving grace is that there seem to be enough hints to pull amateurs like me through each episode. If you are really stuck I think you can just wait for a bandit to appear. Shoot him (Fun!) and you have another hint. I have a game credit for use in July so I may get it. There are too many good things in the game to shrug it off. It might even get me to like **** a little more. I'll let you know.

Happy gaming.

wipeyourpaws
Herring
Herring
367 Posts

[Post New]by wipeyourpaws on Jul 15, 10 5:53 AM
Firstly can I say , a huge thank you to all the fishies who put reviews up, because I do tend to read first, then go and try the demo, even if it's a genre that I don't like !

I first thought about the shooting & eww! not that type of person, am not into westerns as such , apart from Blazing Saddles !LOL

But off I went to demo & after half an hour , I was buying. What a FUN game!
Although the cat noises were driving my own furbaby to distraction ,

Thank you BFG & all fishies .

[Post New]by heatherington on Jul 15, 10 7:16 AM
Yippee Kyaaa and get along little doggie a real western with rich scenery. While we scathingly derided the Gift of Zeus game for having pictures instead of word lists. The items to find with pictures work with this game because you would not know what the heck they were talking about. Some items were certainly period pieces while other things were more modern. I know I saw a radio in there. I will give you that fingerprints were first discovered around the middle 1800's so the sheriff could possibly have that information it is doubtful that he would have been using it. Matters not though. I picked up this game and it was like a good book, I couldn't put it down. Only came up for air when my 60 minutes ran out and quickly got back in. I loved it. And the twist at the end. You know very well a lawman could not get away with search and seizure like that in this day and age. And making deals with crooks and then letting them go because it actually belonged to them anyway. In 2010 you would have been tied up in court for 30 years while your estate got slowly eroded with court costs and by the time you got done you would have nothing to show for it. So hats off to Divea studios? I could not read the name. I enjoyed shooting the bad guys and their end of chapter mini games were not too hard at all. A lot of thought went into the story.

Edited on 07/15/2010 at 7:18:33 AM PST

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Jul 15, 10 7:20 AM
Lauralei said

"'m betwixt and between on this one. I really don't like HOG's and, as QEIII just said, it's one **** scene after another. Still, there is a lot to like. The graphics are crisp and bright with a wonderful western ambiance. (It reminds me a lot of Freddie Pharkas, Frontier Pharmacist, a classic of early gaming!) The music and voice overs are first-rate so you can slide into this western town and feel right at home. ''Where's my chewin' tobaccee, Slim?''

Hi lauralei - I had completely forgotten ol' Freddie Pharkas. That was just one of the best adventures ever - a laugh a minute. Had to make potions and clean out the smelly outhouses etc. Thanks for jogging this ol' timers memory. Now I wonder if I still have it in a box in the garage. Excuse me - must go and check.........!

Edited on 07/15/2010 at 7:21:04 AM PST

doccat5
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by doccat5 on Jul 15, 10 7:20 AM
I liked it so well I bought it. I normally play with the sound off, but I'm so intrigued by other's comments, I'll have to give that a try. Good game, great graphics and I can actually see the objects! That's wonderful.

Go to: