Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Darkness and Flame: The Dark Side Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Mar 31, 18 12:39 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 03/31/2018 at 9:52:39 AM PST

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Darkness and Flame: The Dark Side Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nanafraser on Mar 31, 18 6:09 AM
I know I get up so early! Lol! Yay! another "Darkness and Flames" 3rd one. Its a continuation of the last one! Theirs interesting HO scenes, & for someone like me who doesn't care much for mini games, some aren't too bad others a little tougher. So there's lots for everyone! For me this is a nice game after a dry spell of games!

Edited on 03/31/2018 at 6:23:06 AM PST

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Darkness and Flame: The Dark Side Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Mar 31, 18 7:00 AM

(Two fantastic HOPA games in a row? It's an Easter Miracle!)

Alice was just an ordinary girl trying to survive in a harsh post-apocalyptic environment. In the blink of an eye, her life changed drastically, after discovering a seemingly ordinary box. The unassuming box contained a beautiful Phoenix, and from that day forward, Alice became one with the Phoenix. Her beautiful fiery red hair turned silver, and a glowing Phoenix tattoo appeared on her arm, a constant reminder that things will never be ordinary again! Alice has been chosen to be the burning Flame in the Darkness, but the Darkness is relentless. The Darkness is drawn to the Flame, and the hunt won't end until the Flame has been extinguished!

This Collector's Edition version has everything a gamer could ask for, it even has a fantastic BOGO sale, but to be honest, I would have purchased this game at full price, which is something I never do! On the Custom Setting mode, you can disable the cursor from turning into a hand when it scans across a collectible or morph, which is a fantastic feature, for those of us who want a little more challenge. Each scene has a Morphing Object (30) and a Collectible (42) from 6 different categories (6 Rings, 8 Origami, 8 Broaches, 7 Gold Statues, 6 Jade Frogs, 7 Lotus Flowers) These objects are small and morph slowly, and are blended into the scenery, unlike some games where everything sticks out like a sore thumb and practically screams "here I am"!  You will unlock 7 additional Puzzles when you complete a collectible category and the morphs, and just for good measure, there are also 20 Bonus Games. With a whopping 6 Main Chapters + a Bonus Chapter, this game is well worth the CE price, especially during today's BOGO sale!

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Mar 31, 18 7:05 AM
nanafraser wrote:I know I get up so early! Lol! Yay! another "Darkness and Flames" 3rd one. Its a continuation of the last one! Theirs interesting HO scenes, & for someone like me who doesn't care much for mini games, some aren't too bad others a little tougher. So there's lots for everyone! For me this is a nice game after a dry spell of games!

I agree, there aren't very many puzzles in the game itself (not very many HOS either) BUT, this CE version offers a ton of puzzles in the extra's menu, so if you like the mini-games and puzzles, this game still has you covered!

@nanafraser let's keep our fingers crossed that the dry spell is over!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Mar 31, 18 8:23 AM
I gave up with this game after yet another round of 'this item can't be used here'. A bonsai needs a couple of branches trimming. I have a knife and a pair of nippers. I can't use either item here. I'm sorry but in what universe would neither of these implements be suitable for this task?? Utterly ridiculous.

As for the rest of the game, Alice's voice is annoying and she's really not dressed for her surroundings. Thank goodness for a child (who's language skills are clearly years ahead of her actual age) and her granny. You have to find the key to the cottage in a pond, yet when you get inside the child is already there. How did she get in and why didn't she open the door for you? Was Granny locked inside the cottage? Never mind, at least Alice can get some more suitable attire.

Every door/box/cabinet is locked. Everything you come across has a part missing. One wonders how the inhabitants manage to get through their daily lives when everything is falling apart and the parts to fix them are in locked receptacles.

The sheer inanity of the myriad tasks just became an utter bore. Lots of collectibles and more puzzles than HOS can't make up for the snooze-fest of the gameplay. Sorry but this one's a no buy for me, probably not even as an SE.

No technical issues in the 58 mins I played. Desktop running Win7 Prof.

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Mar 31, 18 8:27 AM
Super fun game. For once the 3rd installment of the sequel does not disappoint. Story line takes up where 2nd left off. Same great graphics, full customization so everyone can play however they like it. The same great jump map. Really good replay value.

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Mar 31, 18 9:52 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Darkness and Flame: The Dark Side Collector's Edition here. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread as the moderators will be removing any content that isn’t a review.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Darkness and Flame: The Dark Side Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBeruna

charlene_lane
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by charlene_lane on Mar 31, 18 9:53 AM
If its a FIVE-BN GAME then you know you are on to a winner. I'm definitely buying the game today, together with the latest Haunted Hotel game as well - two for the price of one today. I have all of FIVE-BN adventure and HOP games, so can't wait to play. Now still playing Moonsouls and really enjoying it. Pennmom, you are so right, we have been spoiled this Easter with fabulous games. Well done devs.

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Mar 31, 18 11:51 AM
Have to agree with some of the comments - LOVE this game - great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. I've replayed the other Darkness & Flame games several times and this is definitely another one for re-play. AWESOME !

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Mar 31, 18 3:06 PM
Could not finish this demo. This is an extremely boring game with boring tasks to match. It's like you are going nowhere...just back and forth collecting inventory for meaningless tasks. It is very slow going. What was the sense of acquiring a piece of cloth to cover a mouse....think a real one would have stayed in position for that? It's nonsense...and there's more than that, which is a waste to even mention. You'll get the picture when you start doing it. How does any of this hold one's interest? It doesn't mine.

You aren't overrun with puzzles, at least in the demo (a miracle). It does indicate there are 21 in the Extras, though. You are really going to enjoy replaying the puzzle where you are climbing the wall with a pick ax...not just one ax, but 2, that you had to find first before even attempting the strenuous climb. A great deal of creativity went into that, I'm sure you'll agree.

No amount is given for hos...maybe there aren't that many which would come as no surprise. Didn't think much of the 2 hos in the portion of the demo I endured, which were interactive, but ok. There is no alternative to play, another thing being cut back on. It was also rather distracting to have the SG in the upper right hand corner like a billboard. You won't have a problem finding that one.

The graphics are pleasant and relaxing, but because of the lethargic and uninteresting play, it is enough to put one to sleep. I do not think this would appeal to an expert player at all or even an intermediate one because of the juvenile aspects of it, as well as it just being too slow...and a drag.

AND the kicker is....here we have yet another CE, offering a half you know what for Extras expecting a full CE price....a replay of puzzles, but no hos. It's always something, isn't it? I won't even bother, no matter how lovely and generous they think the collectibles might be. This one can go up in flames and into the darkness.

Edited on 03/31/2018 at 3:07:36 PM PST

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Mar 31, 18 3:36 PM
Based on the demo, this game appears to be typical of every other Five-BN game I've played, & I've played a lot of them. For those who like the consistency, that will be a selling point; it would have been for me, as well, as recently as a couple of games ago, but at this point, I've just plain gotten bored w/ it. Also, as w/ other of their more recent offerings, the quality of various aspects, such as the collectibles, has declined (it's not very challenging trying to spot a statuette, origami crane, or outsized fly when they're just sitting there right out in the open). If I were rating this for the sales page, I'd give it three stars. Not a buy for me, as I have enough average games already.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 31, 18 4:04 PM
Hello friends! As usual, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story line to others who can do a much better job than I. I believe this is #3 in this series. I really like how this game picks up where the other left off, giving you a little explanation of what and why things are happening. The graphics are quite good in this addition, even thought some are a little cartoony, e.g., unusually large and clunky looking inventory items. Colors are very nice and true. Voices are fairly nice, except that "Alice" has such a high pitch to her voice, it gets somewhat annoying very quickly. Music is quite soothing and not overpowering at all. Game play was very good, with no problems during the demo and the scene fit my large screen without gaps or black lines around it. We have really great sound FX in this one, being realistic and appropriately placed in the game. There is no dead air time in this game. Animation is very smooth and quite well done. It actually reminds me of the old Lara Croft games, same type of movements (yep, I had all those too). The one thing I had to laugh at was how Alice stood when talking to someone. Her hand is in such an odd position, she almost looks like she's having an "ah-ha" moment. Silly, but not a deal breaker. You'll know what I mean when you play the game.

HOPs are varied, with interactive lists and silhouettes so far. Items are not difficult to find and the scenes are clear...no junk piles in this game. Puzzles were pretty simple and took no time or brain power to complete, but I did run across one that was somewhat challenging. Hint system is very helpful and actually gives you a hint when you ask for it. The jump map is set up quite nicely. Areas are identified and also show if you have missed a collectible or morphing item. I only use the strategy guide if I just can't find the collectible.

Collectibles are varied as well and well done. We have to find 30 morphing items, all are different, and not too small to see. We also have various bugs to collect. Not sure if this changes as we progress, because it showed only 8 needing to be found. This are also fairly large, but still not as easy to spot as you may think.

Other than the "cartoony" inventory items and Alice's annoying voice, I really like this game. You are constantly on the move and we have a lot more character interaction that what we usually see in these games. The challenge is finding all the collectibles, which I really do like, the more the better for me. The story is a continuation of sorts and pretty easy to follow. When I beta tested this one, I gave it a 4.5 on my beta scale...I'm sticking to that rating. I believe this game will appeal to gamers of any level. Yes, I am adding this one to my CE pile.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the review. Play on!

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Mar 31, 18 9:31 PM
nextgengranny wrote:Based on the demo, this game appears to be typical of every other Five-BN game I've played, & I've played a lot of them. For those who like the consistency, that will be a selling point; it would have been for me, as well, as recently as a couple of games ago, but at this point, I've just plain gotten bored w/ it. Also, as w/ other of their more recent offerings, the quality of various aspects, such as the collectibles, has declined (it's not very challenging trying to spot a statuette, origami crane, or outsized fly when they're just sitting there right out in the open). If I were rating this for the sales page, I'd give it three stars. Not a buy for me, as I have enough average games already.

You are right nextgengranny , all of this Dev's games are so similar.

But I'm one who like it, the story, the very easy puzzles, and not so many HOS. I played the complete game with bonus, and I was delighted. And in my case, I never bought a CE based in collectibles, I don't care about them, and most of the cases I forgot the morphings.

And lately, I didn't play any average game, so today this was a fresh breeze in a hot day.

Have a Blessed Easter, same to all BF's members who celebrate it !

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Mar 31, 18 10:51 PM
Penny1942 wrote:Super fun game. For once the 3rd installment of the sequel does not disappoint. Story line takes up where 2nd left off. Same great graphics, full customization so everyone can play however they like it. The same great jump map. Really good replay value.

Completely agree with you. I have quite enjoyed this game - not finished yet - (sigh) got too wrapped up in watching the Men's World Curling games which started today, but will carry on tomorrow. I play to enjoy and I love this game.

Happy Easter!

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Apr 1, 18 12:46 AM
While I love games that are thrillers and full of excitement, I always love the games from this dev. I find them relaxing and fun. Kind of like gaming on vacation, lol. Some people have commented that certain things wouldn't apply in the real world, but we are talking about a game here, not the real world. Even though the characters are roughly drawn, they have a soft appearance and the scenes show great detail. And I've always loved the maps, with the ease of jumping from place to place, and clear indicators of where you need to be and available collectibles. While the collectibles from this dev are usually not hard to find, the morphs are a bit more tricky, and you need to look. Loving it and buying it!!

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Apr 1, 18 10:39 PM
This series just does not disappoint! It might be simpler than their Lost Lands series but I for one just cannot get enough of their graphics and fantastic cut scenes. I didn't find any mindless back-and-forth - most tasks are pretty straightforward with a couple tasks finished later but it makes sense to the story. I also love the custom ability to uncheck what I call "auto-finding" collectibles - adds a nice level of challenge. And no, they do not jump out at you as giant, obvious items nor are they the same item in every scene.

Now, if they would just offer another in their crime series I would be over the moon!!

JadedBlonde
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by JadedBlonde on Apr 10, 18 10:21 PM
angelfish106 wrote:I gave up with this game after yet another round of 'this item can't be used here'. A bonsai needs a couple of branches trimming. I have a knife and a pair of nippers. I can't use either item here. I'm sorry but in what universe would neither of these implements be suitable for this task?? Utterly ridiculous.

As for the rest of the game, Alice's voice is annoying and she's really not dressed for her surroundings. Thank goodness for a child (who's language skills are clearly years ahead of her actual age) and her granny. You have to find the key to the cottage in a pond, yet when you get inside the child is already there. How did she get in and why didn't she open the door for you? Was Granny locked inside the cottage? Never mind, at least Alice can get some more suitable attire.

Every door/box/cabinet is locked. Everything you come across has a part missing. One wonders how the inhabitants manage to get through their daily lives when everything is falling apart and the parts to fix them are in locked receptacles.

The sheer inanity of the myriad tasks just became an utter bore. Lots of collectibles and more puzzles than HOS can't make up for the snooze-fest of the gameplay. Sorry but this one's a no buy for me, probably not even as an SE.

No technical issues in the 58 mins I played. Desktop running Win7 Prof.

I've been playing an hour and have to 100% agree with you here. In fact, thanks for saving me all the typing

The graphics are great and it's so cool the story picks up where the last one left off. In fact I was playing the last one again when this came out.. yay!

All the running around for minor Stuff is what's causing me to give it a break for the night, and as you also eloquently put it, I was standing at that very bonzai tree thinking that same thing as you. We have to find something to get a bird out of a tree yet are standing on a field of rocks. Hokay.

Also getting on my nerves is that one tone that seems to play for 5 seconds at random times. I don't know if it's when you find something, click something, or the Devs just want to torture you with it. I'll finish the game and the map is great but the running around is making me wonder where the action is.

kiddopal
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by kiddopal on Apr 14, 18 4:29 AM
I agree with all the rave reviews. This is my favorite series right now. The cut scenes are great and the story line is easy to follow. I just finished the demo and will definitely purchase it. So far the mini games are challenging enough for advanced players and not too many hidden object scenes. I highly recommend this game.

Go to: