gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Secrets of Great Art - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 17, 10 12:06 AM
Post 'em if ya got 'em. (Oh joy - "Trial expired"...)

Edited on 07/17/2010 at 12:09:40 AM PST

Blackie61958
Shark
Shark
12,595 Posts

Re:Secrets of Great Art - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by Blackie61958 on Jul 17, 10 1:19 AM
Timer can't be stopped !!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 17, 10 1:28 AM
Downloaded and played the game demo from another site, since here it's "trial expired".

To me, it's a decent enough HOG with find the difference mini-games. If you hate find the difference scenes, you will hate this, most likely - although the saving grace here is that you can use hints in these scenes, which is great. I did not have any problems with the hint system in these or any other scenes during the demo hour.

Not sure if I'll be buying it or not. It's sure a comedown from yesterday's Magic Encyclopedia game.

Edited on 07/17/2010 at 1:32:50 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jul 17, 10 1:54 AM
Here's a HOG game that will be relaxing for some and boring for others. Classical paintings and classical music or semi, low key.

Two things that would be an immediate no buy for me now, timer, and find the diffs. Tried it anyway (I try to be open at least in my genre). Probably passed on it when new for difficulty, altho early ones like MCF Huntsville and Prime Suspects kept me going, repeating, enjoying.

I was surprised I got so far in an hour, maybe I've progressed, 15 min per scene and 3 hints which don't accumulate so may as well use them on last 3 stumpers to progress if you need them. Since items obviously don't belong in the scenes this would make it easier, but if they aren't yet on the list to find they don't count if clicked. Challenge for me is later remembering where I saw one when it comes on the list. The number of items increases as you progress, seems first one was 10 total when I found ample time, using maybe half the 15 min, never timed out.

I was going to let the clock run out to see if list changed when I noticed I had over 20 to find but demo ran out on me anyway. With 60 levels I doubt I'd ever finish it, but it is a beautiful game to look at if you are into a challenge. There are some walkthroughs listed if you google but none here at BF if that interested. With no timer this may not be on a Daily Deal, it also has a mysterious storyline, character has lost his memory and trying to piece it back together looking at these paintings and objects. So I would hate to not be able to finish and miss the ending resolved.

Worth an hour of playing just to see if it's for you. If I needed a last punch this would be a good choice IMO as it's of good quality. Don't know the dev, one forum review said it was BF.

kisskeeps
Catfish
Catfish
1,508 Posts

[Post New]by kisskeeps on Jul 17, 10 2:23 AM
Hiya. Did the trial. Personally, I did NOT care for this game ... even as a DD. Just MY opinion !

Rather, what really bugged me the graphics weren't sharp, some of the hiddens were same color object-on-location [tan on a bit darker tan], and some stuff didn't look anything like the description of the object.

(don't like timed games to begin with nor games that don't let you acquire more hints [MCF comes to mind, forget which one] LOL.

But I would say all games should be trialed Who wants to get burned?

Have fun and happy gaming, Kissy

JerryInWales
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by JerryInWales on Jul 17, 10 3:02 AM
Timer can't be stopped, but if it runs out you just restart this scene.
I found the descriptions a bit difficult - I'm afraid I didn't know what a menorah is, and sometimes the picture does not represent the word very well. So far I've not seen any actual wrong words (as I've seen reported for some games) but occasionaly it's been "Hmmm...". It doesn't help in a case like this when the word then disappears quickly from the list, so you can't easily see what it was that just disappeared!

Nice paintings, but it would be better if the title could be kept on the screen, maybe along the top, for to help you to remember it after the game.

Not a buy for me: pretty but not engaging. Sound was off so no comment here.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 17, 10 6:07 AM
The game asked me to find a clew. I found a clew, but I still don't know what it is - so I have a clew but not a clue lol.

Ah... from dictionary.com:

definition 3. a ball or skein of thread, yarn, etc.

Cool! So now I have a clew *and* a clue lol.

ilikegame
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by ilikegame on Jul 17, 10 7:28 AM
The objects are not sharp enough in the painting, and thus not easy for me to find where they are.

Not completed all 60 levels yet. will post the comments again later.

lucyloket
Guppy
Guppy
138 Posts

[Post New]by lucyloket on Jul 17, 10 7:53 AM
gimmegames wrote:The game asked me to find a clew. I found a clew, but I still don't know what it is - so I have a clew but not a clue lol.

Ah... from dictionary.com:

definition 3. a ball or skein of thread, yarn, etc.

Cool! So now I have a clew *and* a clue lol.

LOL! Your review just made me giggle - thx

Meisie84
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by Meisie84 on Jul 17, 10 9:01 AM
to the funny reviews

I bought this a good while back and really enjoyed it (I skip most story related stuff in games, so can't comment on that) I found it relaxing inspite of the timer (I always play relaxed mode). I like spot-the-difference, if you don't. think twice to get this. Took me a long time to finish as I can only do so many scenes in one sitting kwim?

For me personally this is a great DD deal!

Edited on 07/17/2010 at 9:01:55 AM PST

lkwriter
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,914 Posts

[Post New]by lkwriter on Jul 17, 10 9:17 AM
I have had this one on my list as something my mom might enjoy, as she loves Spot/Find-the-Difference. This has those in abundance! (So if you don't care for those... you may not enjoy this one.)

As others have mentioned, it's nice to be looking for out-of-place objects with a purpose (to remove them to 'clean up' the paintings), but it's a bit frustrating to get penalized for 'wrong clicks' when you're clicking a clearly incorrect object before the word has appeared on the items list. I liked the challenge of not necessarily knowing right away what the words meant ('martin' threw me!). And for $2.99, it's nice to have something aesthetically pleasing on my screen. A buy for me.

silkywings
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,043 Posts

[Post New]by silkywings on Jul 17, 10 12:12 PM
I played the one hour demo and liked it very much. It is probably better to play this 10 scenes at a time for eye tiredness. The art is beautiful and easy on the eyes most of the time. Objects can be hard to find but since I was pretty good at "stereogram" pictures when they were popular in the early 90s I found if I closed my eyes a few seconds and then opened them and starting again I was able to see objects in a different light than before.

It seems when I used a hint the object would be easier to see than if I couldn't find it at all before the hint button...don't know if that makes sense but it seemed to be the case for me. It is well worth the money if only to learn and enjoy art in a "new" light.

Thanks BF...I am enjoying the game very much. I am only doing 10 levels at a time so have 50 more to go...

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Jul 17, 10 1:00 PM
Did the demo a while back and thought I would buy once on $2.99 special
Liked the unpressured play - timer gives plenty of time - do not like find the differences but hints are good - for a relaxed and no brainer HOG good buy

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Jul 17, 10 1:33 PM

The paintings are BEAUTIFUL

The "See the Difference" segments were not as hard as I'd expected as there are ACTUAL differences and not some game developer's perception of a difference. I was able to see quite a few of the differences rather quickly and with the hint system in place it made the search even more RELAXING. TIMER?? Had so much time left over after each picture that I'd almost forgotten there was 1

Sorry, guys, but there's a BIG difference between a cabbage and a cauliflower and where's that heart? I had to click 3x AFTER using the hint before it was picked up and while it was disappearing -- it was STILL hard to ascertain its shape. When you've only 3 hints, a person doesn't want to waste it on a mislabelled object.

While there's only 3 hints, there's NO carryover and EVERY new picture had its own 3 hints option in place. Some games give you 5 hints but once used it's gone (like in MF-type games) you're on your own.

With the DD , I don't think that anyone can go wrong.

MEnr56

Noralg
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Noralg on Jul 17, 10 4:13 PM
Since there is not a no timer option, this is an immediate "no buy" for me.
That being said, it's an interesting HOG with some objects difficult to find and some very easy. Graphics are good. The Find the difference puzzles are good, with easy & difficult differences. A good range of play, but it's all timed.

[Post New]by Beronika1954 on Jul 17, 10 4:47 PM
I hate when you get a reprimand for too much clicking! How is that relaxing? I quit after fifteen minutes. I do not need a game that takes time off for the clicks! And I like Art so I wanted to like this.It's a no for me.

Mamalita
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by Mamalita on Jul 17, 10 5:36 PM
My daughter and I just finished level 25 with 35 objects in 2 minutes and 11 seconds. It's a blast! My daughter is obsessed now.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jul 17, 10 9:27 PM
I found this to be a decent game. I truly detest spot-the-difference and yet still didn't mind playing this one. There is about one spot-the-difference to every two hidden object scenes. Each scene has hidden objects in beautiful works of art so getting to see the artwork is part of the pleasure of the game. I did notice the timer, but I found most of the items relatively easy to find so timing wasn't a probelm for me. There was a penalty of points deducted for clicking on the wrong object, but since I never really bother with points in a game, I wasn't bothered by this at all.

I think for $2.99, as the Daily Deal, it is a good choice for those starting out with the hidden object genre or looking for a pretty much straight hidden object game. I think I will pass this time, though, since I have purchased a lot of games recently and haven't even had a chance to work on any of them.

KC_Granny
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by KC_Granny on Jul 17, 10 10:14 PM
Good: pretty pictures. Bad: no storyline, timer, find the differences (YUCK!), objects totally stick out in pictures.

Not a buy.

Ridnhi
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by Ridnhi on Jul 18, 10 2:49 PM
Sixty paintings for three bucks is a great buy. The problem I found with the game is that for those of us with less than perfect vision, the differences are often so minute they are extremely hard to spot. I did well except for twice when I had to do over d/t the timer running out. When I used the hint button on the last two differences I just couldn't see...........the hint outline went so fast that I still didn't see what the difference was................... Its still a good game but its much more dificult for some of us who are "ancient" than those with bright sparkling vision.
Try it and see for yourself. Its a good game and a good challenge for spotting the difference...........I plan on finishing it if it takes from now to Christmas!!!

Go to: