javajule
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

The professor was born in 1971 and they drew him like that?

[Post New]by javajule on Jul 17, 10 10:17 AM
I shudder to think how the artists would render me, I was born in the 60s! Perhaps I had better start buying my makeup in the spackle department of home depot............

Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

Re:The professor was born in 1971 and they drew him like that?

[Post New]by Misty40 on Jul 17, 10 10:23 AM
LOL, ah man! Now I'm gonna download this game out of curiosity.

QUZEMOTO
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by QUZEMOTO on Jul 17, 10 1:00 PM
i also read 1971 and wondered about such a young man looking like a hundred and twenty yrs old.

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Jul 17, 10 1:07 PM

My post and the answer from the developer on July 13th. But I think I put 1971 in that puzzle at the time and it worked. And that's when I was thinking how old I must be!!!!

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Secrets of the Dragon Wheel
by EOTD on Jul 13, 10 10:47 AM

Koalanut wrote:
Only one thing really bothered me.....

A little bit of a spoiler.....

You need the Professor's birthday to get into the safe. Ok, this Professor looks really old, and then you get the birth date.

AAACCCKKKKKKK, I was in 7th grade when he was born. Please tell me this game is in the future

1871 game takes place pre world war 2

javajule
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by javajule on Jul 18, 10 7:04 AM
What was that? Speak up sonny, I can't hear you! Errr.....cough....thank goodness the game is set in 1871; now I don't feel old, just stupid.

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Aug 2, 10 2:52 PM
lkwriter wrote: I'm pretty sure it's 1871, because the story takes place pre-WWII. Thank goodness, because otherwise...

I've only done a few minutes of the demo, but I had the same impression/wonderment that the original poster did. What gave you the impression that the story takes place before WWII?

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Aug 3, 10 5:46 AM
The game is clearly set prior to World War II, in the late 20s- early 30s. You can tell this by the manner of dress of the characters and by the general appearance of architecture and over all feel of the game. Most notably, the game would not be historically valid if set after 1949. There is no longer an emperor of China-- The imperial system was overthrown by the Communist party in 1949 when China became the Peoples Republic of China. Therefore, if someone wants to make a game that has an emperor of China in it-- than that person would probably need to make it take place before 1949. This would mean that the character was born in the 19th century (i.e. 1871) and thus his age would be consistent with his appearance.

Personally, I think that the developers do a good job in evoking this time period.

Edited on 08/03/2010 at 5:48:18 AM PST

Christina892
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by Christina892 on Aug 18, 10 8:44 AM
lkwriter wrote: I'm pretty sure it's 1871, because the story takes place pre-WWII. Thank goodness, because otherwise...

Nope it's not. It's also the combination to the safe, as I've played the game several times now. Which makes it 1971.

[Post New]by Tuesday333 on Sep 21, 10 6:34 PM
Having been born in 1971 I was at first shocked, then confused, then I just laughed. I know I am not even close to being seen as that much older. Someone has a sense of humor or is too young to know.

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Sep 21, 10 7:38 PM
Christina892 wrote:

Nope it's not. It's also the combination to the safe, as I've played the game several times now. Which makes it 1971.

You only need the last two digits of the birth year to complete that puzzle, not all four. The professor was born in 1871.

[Post New]by anbumeyo on Feb 14, 11 5:34 PM
the professor's birthday is 1/22/71. so i highly doubt the game is set in the early 90's. this game is set in the 1940's maybe 1950's

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on May 4, 11 10:42 PM
The source of the confusion, I think, is that the passport was a modern passport, with a modern landscape orientation, a modern style photograph, has a two-line machine readable code, and only a two-digit year of birth. So the conclusion would be that the professor was born in 1971, based on that.

If you've every seen any really old passports, the style and wording are completely different and there is a lot more hand-written data, the photographs are different, and there is no machine readable data printed on it. Prior to 1920, the passport for British nationals was a single sheet of paper.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Oct 5, 11 12:42 AM
javajule wrote:What was that? Speak up sonny, I can't hear you! Errr.....cough....thank goodness the game is set in 1871; now I don't feel old, just stupid.

TOO FUNNY

The passport, however, DOES claim that the professor's birthdate to be 1971, NOT 1871 which was the same year that my daughter was born

MEnr56

Go to: