gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Something Special - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 18, 10 1:21 AM
I've played 40 minutes of the demo so far. The premise seems to be that the best junk piles begin in roadside museums - That part is kinda fun . The graphics are a bit dated though. I definitely plan to play the rest of the demo - after a few zzz's.

Edited on 07/18/2010 at 9:14:59 AM PST

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

Re:Something Special - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Jul 18, 10 1:43 AM

I may not be giving this one a fair shake but the 25 second music loop only added to the headache I started on TGT.

Way too much to see.

100% saturation!

But hey! If that is what you are into, this is your game!

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jul 18, 10 3:02 AM

First and finally, I want to thank you, gimmegames, for the wonderful idea of the DD-review-threads - very helpful!

Then, for the game, I don't want to be too harsh, as I had the impression from reading some of the forum posts, that one of the developers might be reading here and trying to help. So...

Items are good to see - a bit mis-sized sometimes, but not too tiny. Hints refill OK.

Easy, Medium, Hard Difficulty. Only Easy is untimed.
(I've written exactly the same for the TGT already; one has to wonder which criteria BFG uses for the daily choices <g> )
You need to play on Hard to get all trophies.

but <bursting out> nonetheless: The music is indeed totally ANNOYING. Junkpile scenes, a straight HOG, and I don't like that items vanish from list (I prefer strikeout, to be able to check what I found).

If these are no Contra-points for you, you might like it, at least for 2,99

BTW, I have to wonder whose idea that intro dialogue between Zoe and her Aunt about 'speaking the truth' was... trying hard to get into how women - relatives at that - are talking to each other?! LOL.

ilikegame
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by ilikegame on Jul 18, 10 7:11 AM
tried the demo. The music is ok because I like the 1970's pop songs.

However, the pictures are too basic that turned me down to consider the game.

So, for me, I don't bother to buy.

Slavicdiva
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Slavicdiva on Jul 18, 10 9:49 AM
I played through the first California location before deciding this is not for me, not even as a DD.

Putting two items with the same name in the scene, but letting only one be the "correct" choice is a big turnoff for me in HOGs. And there it was - the list said "teapot," and there was a blue-and-white one plunked right at the front of the scene (next to another object on the list) - but what was wanted was the inconspicuous white one at the back. Total turnoff, and looks like sloppy game design to me. YMMV, of course.

The graphics are very dated, somewhat blurry, and the color values are all the same sort of washed-out pastelly shades - which makes this game visually uninteresting.

The music is simply awful. 20-second loops of stereotypical 50's schlock. Ack. If the game were better visually, I'd just turn off the sound - but I do appreciate good game music, and find it sad when it's so annoying I have to turn it off.

It's a shame - this game has an interesting premise, poorly executed.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 18, 10 9:57 AM
_DD_ wrote:
First and finally, I want to thank you, gimmegames, for the wonderful idea of the DD-review-threads - very helpful!

I finished playing the demo. As much as I'm a total sucker for 3 dollar games, I'm gonna pass on this one because the graphic and sound quality are borderline painful. Just for the record though, the music does change by location, so at least you generally get a different loop each time - sometimes 50's, sometimes fiddles.

I really do love the kitschy roadside museum thing though. I was raised in Nebraska, and my mom's idea of a vacation generally was going somewhere and shopping, with any luck at an antique store, so looking thru that sort of junk pile is soooo familiar to me. Or we went to Colorado - Estes Park, Pike's Peak, visited some pueblos I think and some gold mining ghost towns, Cave of the Winds(?), Manitou Springs... I think it's very cool to put real locations into these games.

Edited on 07/18/2010 at 10:39:24 AM PST

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jul 18, 10 10:14 AM
gimmegames wrote:
_DD_ wrote:

really!

I think it's very cool to put real locations into these games.

I'm not from the US and therefore, I would have appreciated this! but it were just the names on the signs that changed; every location had the same (grey!) layout for the cities... maybe I didn't go far enough in the game, maybe it would have become better (as with the music? lol), but (a) I remember now also noticing duplicate item names (what Slavicdiva said), and (b) since the price for the DDs also has gone up for Europe (_plus_ the taxes), the games must be a bit better than this IMO. Glad to hear, though, it was able to bring nice memories to you!

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jul 18, 10 10:39 AM
Faded, washed out graphics with mostly transparent items,
does not make for enjoyable for me. Items could be found,
but I feel like my eyes are crossed.

Like the concept very much, and the few, clear cleverly
concealed items made me very sorry this did not become
the game it could have been. Example: trumpet in lieu
of a car bumper.

A real shame, but not even for DD price.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jul 18, 10 2:37 PM
Slavicdiva wrote:
Putting two items with the same name in the scene, but letting only one be the "correct" choice is a big turnoff for me in HOGs. And there it was - the list said "teapot," and there was a blue-and-white one plunked right at the front of the scene (next to another object on the list) - but what was wanted was the inconspicuous white one at the back. Total turnoff, and looks like sloppy game design to me. YMMV, of course.

OMG Yes!! That is horrible... I must have clicked on that stupid blue teapot 5 times before I noticed the white one in the background that didn't even look as much like a teapot as the blue one. Combine that with the rest of the problems and it's a pass.

I'm really disappointed too because the idea of peeking into assorted museums around the country was really cool... I really wanted to like this game.

Go to: