bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 18, 10 9:04 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

[Post New]by Lordshandmaiden on Jul 18, 10 9:08 AM
Looks like I am first here.
Well, 15 minutes into the demo, I have to say I am not buying this game.
The graphics are great, the music is....there. Not exactly annoying, but very repetitive.
The objects are very hard to see. They blend in very much with the background, and some are small. I found after 3 scenes, I was just clicking evrywhere because I couldn't identify objects and didn't know what I was looking for.
I do love the graphics, they are very bright and well done. Just wish the objects were also that way,
Too bad, I looked forward to playing this when I saw it.

weeharleyboy
Shark
Shark
13,276 Posts

[Post New]by weeharleyboy on Jul 18, 10 9:08 AM
I think we've kinda done that already Flounder!

[Post New]by Lordshandmaiden on Jul 18, 10 9:15 AM
Ooppps, guess I didn't look down far enough. I didn't see the other review topic.

[Post New]by hookedonHOG on Jul 18, 10 9:40 AM
Ditto to all reviews cant find one piece of food without hint and have to retry all the time only got that far that tells you something

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jul 18, 10 10:14 AM
I had read some of the comments about the objects being small in this game so I thought I would check it out and see if it was as bad as everyone was saying. I think it may be worst. Most people only played it for 10 or 15 minutes, but I doggedly played on for the full one hour demo. I wanted to see if it got better or had any redeeming qualities. Unfortunately the more I played, the more I disliked it.

If a marginal game gets bad reviews, I may try to find some positive things about the game rather than jump on the naysayer’s bandwagon. I this case I will gladly drive the bandwagon. I would not buy this game. I would not even play it if someone gave it to me for free.

The hidden objects in this game are not tiny, they are minuscule and in addition to that, they are faded into the background. The find the differences scenes are just as obscure and tedious. One of the find the differences scenes was in a forest on the edge of the poppy field. The scene is filled with tree branches and some of the differences were twigs or tiny lines that had been added to the branches. It was ridiculous.

There are also several annoying visual effects that occur as you play. If you find and click on objects quickly you get a combo or speed bonus. I have seen this before in games but in this game when you get a bonus, a HUGE message jumps on the screen and bounces a few times before it fades away. Of course that is very distracting and annoying. In one scene a butterfly was constantly flitting around in a set pattern, over and over and over again.

Another frustrating aspect of this game is that the list of items to find only has part of the items to find and when one is found another item is added to the list. In a game where the items are so difficult to see, this rolling list is just another frustration that is not needed.

When the list of items to find is represented by silhouettes, the silhouettes are not orientated in the same position as the hidden object in the scene. So the silhouette may look totally different than the minuscule item in the scene.
Continued…..

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jul 18, 10 10:15 AM
Part 2 …
Sometimes you have to find multiple lists of items in the same scene before you move to the next scene. In one scene I had to find the written list of items, when I completed that I was the asked to find 10 animals in the scene, and when I completed that I was the asked to find 6 children in the scene. The 6 tiny little munchkin children were in the scene from the beginning and would pop up in windows or from behind bushes as an annoying distraction while you try to find the other items. Of course when they were on the list to find, you had to click on them quickly as they would flash from their hiding places and then disappear.

Later in the game there was another place where you had to chop through a log by clicking while a moving meter was in the green zone. Also the dog Toto will pop up on the edge of the screen and I think if you are fast enough to click on him you will get the Toto bonus points. I did get some Toto bonus points after some scenes but I don’t know how I got them. Perhaps I was randomly clicking and caught Toto by accident. So it seems that they may be arcade type tasks throughout the game that require fast clicking.

Thank goodness I played in Easy Mode so the hints would charge faster. I got through a few scenes without using any hints but most of the time I used 1 to 3 hints.

I usually turn the music volume down in games just to the point where I can barely hear it and it is not too distracting. I did that with this game but when I went into the scenes the music was quite loud. When I wanted to go back to the options to adjust the music again, I got the warning that my progress would not be saved. Well, heaven forbid, once you get through one of these scenes you would never want to go back and play it again, so I had to turn my speakers down and had very little sound in the game. I guess that was not a big loss but it shows that the game options don’t work as they should.

After playing the one hour demo, I came away from this game with two things, a headache and an answer. I was able to go back to bed and sleep off the headache. And now when anyone in the forum asks, “What is the worst HOG ever?”, I will have a definitive answer.

[Post New]by JolieBlanc on Jul 18, 10 10:28 AM
What a BUMMER. This is a beautiful game with great graphics, cute story and nice musical score. It's too bad you can't see the hidden objects. They are mostly little smudges that you have to just guess at. I won't buy this game.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jul 18, 10 10:30 AM
weeharleyboy wrote:I think we've kinda done that already Flounder!
and quite some time ago... I had hoped the next Mod to come in would sticky the first reviews thread... for anyone interested, it's called "Comments and reviews for L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" at
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/106673.page

with quite a bunch of reviews. If you want to read the (so far) 2 positive commentators, you'd have to look into the thread "I'm on level 14 of the game".

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 18, 10 10:32 AM
20 minutes into the demo and I had to come up for air already. This game gave me the impression that someone had great aspirations, then ran out of funding.

The hidden object scenes were awful and impossible. I got as far as the dead witch's shoes which were not ruby slippers - interesting ...

My hidden object scene graphics were definitely not clear. Since some have said that they are, I will try uninstalling and reinstalling - this has happened to me before, and that has sometimes fixed it.

Update: Lasted 15 more minutes including loading time. Awful awful awful awful awful! These hidden object scenes are cruel and unusual punishment! Find 10 food items? Find 10 fuzzy unidentifiable blobs! Ugh!

This game makes the DD look good, and I didn't buy that one either!

Edited on 07/18/2010 at 11:09:29 AM PST

MarcyMM
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by MarcyMM on Jul 18, 10 10:40 AM
I am just in awe at how awful this game is. Not even playable. I've played free escape games made by amateurs that were better quality than this. I don't even know what the point was in releasing this.

[Post New]by dyaninmo on Jul 18, 10 10:42 AM
I don't normally post anything but, I was sadly disappointed with this game. I just can't find the objects. I'm glad to find out it isn't just me! I was really excited when I saw the game, thinking it would be fun. But, I will certainly not be buying anything but some pain killer for the headache I got trying to find those impossibly hidden tiny things!!!

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Jul 18, 10 10:45 AM
I couldn't agree more with LizzeK's comment more. They literally typed the words out of my hands.
Worst hog I have ever played!

frostledge
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by frostledge on Jul 18, 10 10:50 AM
I'm relieved to see I am not alone in my thoughts on this game. This has got to be by far one of the worst games to come out or be coming out. This is my favorite movie and I was glad to see a HOG with it since the other games out there from the movie don't trip my trigger. What a disappointment! It shouldn't be considered a "Hidden" object game but more like an INVISIBLE object game.... You can't see squat of the items because they are so small, I don't think a magnifier could even pick them up. I didn't even bother to do the whole trial. Gave up after 15 even though I wanted to after 5 minutes of going in. What a shame to have a neat concept of one of the greatest movies of all time to be made into a game only to see the game is NOT worth buying. I am really considering canceling my membership because I am not seeing the quality in the games lately. It seems like it's such a push to get them published, that they seem half done.....Dunno, maybe it's just me but this game ranks right up there on the stink-o-meter....

[Post New]by wongle01 on Jul 18, 10 10:51 AM
5 minutes into demo and I show the white flag - I give up my vision has obviously deteriorated badly - or could it be the game? Worse game ever! I always play the full hour demo but after 5 minutes of this one I was ready to throw my laptop out of the window. Glad to see I am not alone in this opinion. Has anybody managed to play this game?

[Post New]by Gallivant77 on Jul 18, 10 10:52 AM
Did they design this for 3D monitors? That might explain a lot. I am certain they designed it for HD monitors at a minimum.

I have a 24" HD monitor and found that junkpile scenes weren't impossible - items had sharper texture than the background. However, in the scene where you need to find 10 food, I wonder if they were actually done in 3D and stood out a bit from the background with the right monitor. Same with the scene where you have to put landmarks in the right places after leaving Emerald City.

Yes, I did the whole hour demo and got that far (I am a bit of a masochist ). I could not say if this is the worst game ever, but I can certainly see why most people hate it. Pity they did not make it more accessible to the vast majority of casual game players.

By the way, in the original book by L. Frank Baum, the witch's shoes are silver, not ruby. So, their story (loosely) follows the book rather than the movie.

minipal
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by minipal on Jul 18, 10 11:00 AM
I was sadly disappointed with this game also. It has beautiful graphics but I had to use the hints too many times because I couldn't see the items. I finally just started clicking all over the place and that's doesn't make it a fun game. I love the classic fairytales and almost bought this without trying it but I'm so glad I didn't. Now I have to clean the nose prints from my screen because I had to really look close to try and find the items! Still couldn't find them so will not be buying this one.

frostledge
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by frostledge on Jul 18, 10 11:02 AM
minipal wrote:I was sadly disappointed with this game also. It has beautiful graphics but I had to use the hints too many times because I couldn't see the items. I finally just started clicking all over the place and that's doesn't make it a fun game. I love the classic fairytales and almost bought this without trying it but I'm so glad I didn't. Now I have to clean the nose prints from my screen because I had to really look close to try and find the items! Still couldn't find them so will not be buying this one.

LOL!!!

I thought I was going cross eyed for a bit..... Windex anyone?

[Post New]by grammacat on Jul 18, 10 11:19 AM
Have to use to many hints as graphics way to small. Thought I would like this game and would probably purchase it, but I changed my mind.

bonny1957
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by bonny1957 on Jul 18, 10 11:33 AM
Graphics on this game are way to small. You can't even see half of them because they are the size of a pinhead. Even when my eyes were perfect this would not have worked. Will not be buying or even finishing the demo. 5 minutes of this was more than enough to make up my mind.

Edited on 07/18/2010 at 11:33:54 AM PST

Go to: