Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Pit and the Pendulum CE here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Apr 5, 18 12:39 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 04/05/2018 at 9:07:09 AM PST

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Pit and the Pendulum CE here.

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Apr 5, 18 4:19 AM
Although this isn't a 5 game, it is one of the few Dark Tales games I have enjoyed in a very long time! The puzzles are kind of easy, even on hard mode, but that doesn't bother me as long as I have fun solving them, and I have enjoyed several of them!

The HOP's are standard stock, Interactive List, Progressive Interactive, Keywords in Sentence finds and several Zoom Zones with Fragment finds, but not bad, and the scenes are clear with easily recognized objects.

I love the "Illusion" plot, Amax deserves a pat on the back for creativity, however, it doesn't seem to relate to Poe's version very much? (leaving me to ponder AGAIN, why doesn't Amax step outside the box, and take a leap of faith to create an entirely different series title of their own, and cut the ERS apron strings?)

I liked the Morphing Objects, but I would've preferred them to morph at a much slower interval to make it more challenging to spot. There are also 9 Illusionist Cards to collect.

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Pit and the Pendulum CE here.

[Post New]by nanafraser on Apr 5, 18 5:29 AM
Not a big fan of the Edgar Allan Poe games, this one seems a little more interesting so I may give it a try, hope Im not let down!

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Apr 5, 18 9:07 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Pit and the Pendulum Collector's Edition! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on this game here. There are just a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Pit and the Pendulum Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. Also, remember that moderators will remove any content that isn’t a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators. We'll be happy to assist in any way we can.

bfgArinelle

Ongoldenpond
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Ongoldenpond on Apr 5, 18 9:27 AM
I love this series and have almost all of them. This is by far the most interesting and fascinating one in quite some time. Even though this series of games has had its ups and downs, I think you'll enjoy this one and it merits a purchase. My only annoyance with the later games is that they doesn't automatically support wide screen and you have to increase the resolution to have the game fit the entire screen even though "fullscreen" is checked. I'm running Windows 7 and have had no problems, so far. Good luck and enjoy!

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Apr 5, 18 11:09 AM
Well, this was not a bad game and I enjoyed it while playing - but VERY SHORT. That is the 1st disappointment. The 2nd disappointment is that I missed a couple of the morphing objects and NO opportunity to go back and find them !! I really hate when the developers don't include this opportunity in their Extras section.

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Apr 5, 18 1:37 PM
Ongoldenpond wrote: My only annoyance with the later games is that they doesn't automatically support wide screen and you have to increase the resolution to have the game fit the entire screen even though "fullscreen" is checked

I'm so glad you mentioned this annoyance, I thought I was the only one! I have complained about the resolution glitch for a long time, I have a 27" monitor and every game from ERS/Amax Interactive is stretched too far width wise, I can barely access the options menu in the games to play in windowed mode, simply because I get tired of adjusting my computers resolution for the game, and then again when I exit! I own over 1000 games and the only games that have this issue are by this dev

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Apr 5, 18 1:43 PM
judy76073 wrote:Well, this was not a bad game and I enjoyed it while playing - but VERY SHORT. That is the 1st disappointment. The 2nd disappointment is that I missed a couple of the morphing objects and NO opportunity to go back and find them !! I really hate when the developers don't include this opportunity in their Extras section.

I'm with you on the Morph and/or the Collectibles. It seems like more and more games are not offering this feature lately, which also means that you can't earn all the Achievements when they are tied together

Rob_Blake
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by Rob_Blake on Apr 5, 18 2:54 PM
I have the whole series and I liked this one. Some have complained in the past about some of the Dark Tales games not following Edgar Allan Poe's original books or stories well, or hardly at all, but hundreds of movies have been made that don't completely follow original books or true stories, and are still good. I base my enjoyment on the game play itself, not their accuracy to original story lines or facts. Yes, a lot of things are the same or similar in many games, but so are many movies that have been re-made, or sequels. I still get amazed at the artistry in the games, and the unique new takes on some of the puzzles in them.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Apr 5, 18 4:52 PM
O.K. Game, One of the better in this series actually.Very short, and any similarity between Poe's Pit and the Pendulum is purely accidental. USe the free demo and decide for yourself. PErsonally, I will wait for the S.E. or a 65% off sale. A two for one sale might tempt me if I can find a second game

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 5, 18 7:16 PM
Hello friends! As always, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story to those who do a much better job than I. I've lost count for this series, mostly because I don't have them all. The graphics are not bad, but a bit of a blur in close up scenes. Colors are a little muted, but for the most part, are well done. Game play was very good, no problems during the demo and it fit my large screen. Voices are okay, but we, as the detective, do not speak. Instead, we have to click on the dialog. Definitely takes away from the game play, and not one of my favorite features. Not a lot of animation in the extremely short demo, but what we had was fairly nice and smooth. Music was okay, and seldom used. Not much in the way of sound FX, which is very disappointing. We do still have the annoying loud bell, or whatever it is, every time we find an object.

As usual, HOPs are very few and far between. Items were not difficult to find. We had a variety of silhouettes, interactive lists and highlighted words. I did not see that you could switch to something else. Puzzles were simple and took no time or thought to complete. Again, we had that annoying "follow the line" puzzle. Hint system is very helpful, but there was no transport feature during the demo. There is a lot of back tracking, so this feature would have been nice. The game was quite easy to follow. The map is very bland, but it was okay and nice for a quick jump to another location, since we didn't have a transport.

Collectibles were a little disappointing. Unless I missed something, all we have are 26 morphing objects. What I've found so far, is quite large and easy to spot, except that they morph in for about 8 seconds and out for only 2 seconds, making it easy to miss one if you are in a hurry to move on. We also have 9 collectible cards that tell you about each character. Plenty large enough to see. No challenge here.

I love Poe, but having his name on these games is very misleading, since none of them have actually been the true story, or even close to it. Personally I think the game would be far more entertaining if the devs actually stuck to the story. I think this one is the most disappointing of them all, but the demo was so incredibly short, that it was difficult to really get into the game and get a feel for it. What little we had, did not grab me or make me want to get it. I definitely do not feel this is CE worthy at all. Usually, if I don't care for a CE version, I will wait and give the SE a try. I've found that the CE often makes a much better SE. Because the only part of this game that has anything to do with Poe is the title, I will not be purchasing this one. Maybe a beginner would find this one entertaining, but not challenging. Rarely do I not find some reason to recommend a game, even if I don't care for it myself, but not this time.

As always, give this one a try and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews. Play on!

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Apr 5, 18 8:48 PM
A very short demo. The graphics are excellent, with rich and warm colors, creating an enticing atmosphere, indeed. Quality. You are not overwhelmed with collecting inventory and parts...(thank goodness we only had to find the lantern and light it instead of hunting for fuel). It gives one more time to enjoy the scenery and story when you don't have all that useless work to do.

I am not sure what this story has to do with Poe at all, not that it makes very much of a difference....except that it doesn't coincide with the title...at least not from this short demo. It is rather disappointing, but I won't know for sure until I continue on with it, as I will be purchasing this game when a beneficial sale comes along.

There are too many puzzles, as usual...not enough hos (sos). There is a replay of 12 hos and 16 mini games, and you can bet on it that there will be more puzzles than that. One of the replay mini's is the "punching the guy's lights out". You're really going to want to do that one over and over...but better than that, the one hos you can replay is the first one where you are examining Zula's body, matching words to items...awesome.

Some of the puzzles I did and others, I skipped. It is evident that they are still obsessed with incorporating them into games rather than hos. You know, I hate it when some are always saying that puzzles are SO easy...it is not very considerate of others who just may have problems with what they think is so easy. What is easy for me or anyone may not be for someone else and can have a tendency to make one feel inferior. Perhaps, to specify that the mini games/puzzles are personally easy would be much more thoughtful of others.

The game play in this was easier and more relaxing than some of the others, particularly the past 2 or 3....not too much going back and forth. It is easy to follow...you don't feel like taking a tranq after playing it, which is one reason I will be getting this......even though....I don't think there are any CE extras to be excited about...at all....some morphs and only 9 cards?....very generous, don't you agree?

I have the others in this series...some certainly better than others, of course. Although, this may not have anything to do with the real "Pit and the Pendulum", from this short demo, which was enjoyable more than not, I do not think that this game will in any way be "the pits."

Edited on 04/05/2018 at 9:06:14 PM PST

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Apr 6, 18 7:24 AM
I liked the trial. I wished they had more hops. I enjoyed the last hops of the trial and thought it was inventive. It was challenging enough for me. May add it to my game collection with a sale.

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Apr 6, 18 11:57 AM
This absolutely is not CE worthy. The main game is short, but not bad. There were too many puzzles...once again more emphasis and effort on mini games, which is really no surprise. Some of the hos were better than others. I think just one was a repeat.

The best portion of the game for me was the demo...then it went downhill after that. It's like you're hoping things get better and they don't. I didn't appreciate all of the shooting in the game and seeing someone being shot and bleeding to death at the end. That is totally unnecessary and a real turn off. Things were bad enough without having to see that.

It's the BC that is the real kicker. It is unbelievably very short, uninteresting and not worth it. What I thought would not be "the pits" of a CE game has turned out to be just that....and the story has nothing whatsoever to do with EAP or his story, which is the biggest disappointment of all. A real letdown to say the least.

They certainly could have done a better job on this one instead of appearing to be uninterested themselves and giving up on what should have been a quality and more generous length of a game.

plat1098
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by plat1098 on Apr 15, 18 8:50 AM
Maybe I'm jaded and/or have played too many games on a steamy site we can't mention here but the disclaimer in the opener: "This game contains disturbing scenes"--OK so where are they? If that's supposed to hook you in, maybe it does initially, but after demo is up, I find this game is pretty average. Hidden objects and minis are decent and I've seen variations of them before. Graphics are nice: the style is very pleasant and the colors are well done and coordinate nicely, nothing harsh. Cool collectables and morphing objects (I like those). If you're a fan of the series, I can see this one fitting right in but if you're not, the demo will probably prove you right.

[Post New]by mad4football on Apr 16, 18 4:13 PM
Not a bad game, but way too short for a CE. Graphics ok, sound ok, but where are the disturbing scenes? If there were any, I didn't see them. No option to go back and find any morphs or collectibles that were missed!! Morphs, in particular, are one of the reasons for buying a CE, apart from the extra gameplay, which in this game, was dreadfully short and pretty uninteresting. Should have paid more attention to reviews before buying, but I find that I prefer games by AMAX rather than ERS because of the morphs. Come on devs, give us a chance to collect the ones we missed so that we can get all achievements. No point in buying CE games otherwise. All in all, quite a disappointing game, purely because of it's length and the fact that I couldn't really see much connection to the EAP story.

Go to: