bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for The Pirate's Treasure: An Oliver Hook Mystery

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jul 21, 10 12:17 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of The Pirate's Treasure: An Oliver Hook Mystery? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Pirate's Treasure: An Oliver Hook Mystery

[Post New]by jkuci on Jul 21, 10 12:23 AM
You will see that this is just a string of various type puzzles - no story at all, and not the really good graphics we've come to expect. It does have a store to buy power-ups to help with the time score. There is a timer but it seems to be there only for comparison - doesn't stop the level.

No buy for me but might be an OK game for someone to just come home after a frazzle day and take a poke at it to decompress.

Edited on 07/21/2010 at 12:30:28 AM PST

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Jul 21, 10 12:34 AM
Oh dear!

My hackles were raised by the 'not quite right' English in the introduction - I expected more story but suddenly it stopped and we were right into a HOG scene, underwater. The items are tiny on a very confused coral reef/shipwreck background. As well as the HOG items you can collect treasures (gold coins, bits of jewelery etc) to save money to buy things in the store. Not all the treasures are part of the scheme however, some are just random hidden object items.

The first game was a spot the difference (yeuggh for me, really don't like them). The instructions did say that some of differences may be large and some small (the writers are allergic to the word 'the'), but there were all hard for me - luckily only 10 differences.

Then a very easy untangle the rope puzzle, a bit like a join the pipes puzzle but with only about 6 bits of rope.

Then another HOG scene - SPOILER the plant pot is in fact a potted plant in a very pretty blue and white bowl.

I bought the scanner thingy from the store for 200 coins, it only works once, but there are hints which recharge.

Very easy jigsaw followed, but with another of my pet hates, when you linked up the big bits, the little bits stayed underneath the jigsaw, which you had to move about to find them.

Then another HOG scene, and I gave up.

I really wanted a good story, where the English had been checked, unusual games, no spot the difference and didn't see the point of the shop.

AND another thing lol, every scene had something moving, fish in the sea, a hand in the office, a very small, totally out of proportion plane in the desert.

There is a timer, but I don't think a time limit, you have a cursor option and the music is OK and changes for each scene. The scenes are bright but not a game for me I'm afraid.

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Jul 21, 10 12:39 AM
Not impressed with the graphics on this one. While the background scenes are done well the object scenes are not and are blurry and fuzzy. But might be just me. Music is okay. There are special items to find that give you extra coins to spend at a store. Never got to store so don't know what goes on there. First mini game is a spot the difference. Did not play more than 15 mins but appears to be a straight up HOG with no apparent story. Not the worst game I've tried but not a game I would buy.

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by BossBrat on Jul 21, 10 12:48 AM
After the 'stinkers' of the past few days, I really, really made myself try to like this one. Well, I lasted 15 minutes and I HAD to quit! It was quite horrid.

1. I decided to see how the hint system worked so I clicked on one of the items in the first 'find the difference' scene. It showed me an area and no matter how many times I clicked in the general area - nada! So, I tried again. It showed me a different area. And, to see if I was right, I wanted for the hint to refill (very quick) and clicked until all the differences were found and not one time did it go near the spot it showed me the first time.

2. The puzzles were so simple a 1st grader could do them. I mean, come on, 4 pieces of rope to turn to finish the puzzle?

3. The graphics were okay but the items were just tossed about and I spent more time looking for 'treasure' than I did the items I was supposed to find. I got rather tired of it, to be honest, but you had to find the coins, necklaces, etc. to have money to spend in the treasure store.

4. And, last but not least, my BIGGEST turn-off on any hidden object game: there were SEVERAL of the same type of item you were supposed to find. I remember one was finding a globe and there were 2 and the other I recall is finding shoes, 2 different kinds of pair, and there were at least 4 or 5 pair and some of them were, of course, the same!

THIS IS ANOTHER BIG THUMB'S DOWN! I love BF, but come on already! We want a good game! Stop putting out junk just because you promised a game a day. If you can't give us quality games, don't give us anything at all. We don't really care if you put out a game every day, just that the games you put out are worth our time to download and play!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jul 21, 10 12:48 AM
Good synopsis nelliegemini, thanks for doing my hour field trip for me LOL. Sounds fun as a barrel of monkies, if you were a

[Post New]by knickknackblue on Jul 21, 10 1:07 AM
Great cure for insomnia.. Did not like it at all. Thought it was a cheap looking hidden object game.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 21, 10 1:19 AM
Well I wouldn't say it was a stinker because it is playable even with the blurry graphics in the HOG scenes. Not all scenes are as blurry though because I found the objects clearer when I was playing the scene where you had to use the torch to find them. There is also a find the objects by the silhouette scene so there is variety.

The minigames are also varied and while I hated the spot the difference I did like the put the coins in the chests one and the cannonball into the cannon. Although they could have made them a bit harder to do at least they were different.

I actually kept the music playing quietly in the background while I played but I must confess that I, too, found the looking for treasure the most enjoyable part but was a bit baffled as to why a gold bar was not counted as treasure LOL.

Anyone who is OK with this type of graphics and wants a nice easy game to play might enjoy this game but, alas, it is not for me.

C

88blyth
Catfish
Catfish
1,705 Posts

[Post New]by 88blyth on Jul 21, 10 1:19 AM
well...i started to d/l the trial...then read the reviews....then stopped the d/l...!!!!
love theresa

besstan
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by besstan on Jul 21, 10 1:42 AM
well i like this game but going to play the full hour before i decide to buy as i need a new game lol the hint s ok not a lot of time waiting for it to chare up so after played full hour we will see lol besstan

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Jul 21, 10 1:43 AM
puzzledone wrote:Good synopsis nelliegemini, thanks for doing my hour field trip for me LOL. Sounds fun as a barrel of monkies, if you were a

Thanks, I was also a little impatient because there was a dead good vampire game calling me (hellooooo nellie, come play).

poopysue
Shark
Shark
10,858 Posts

[Post New]by poopysue on Jul 21, 10 1:46 AM
Junk piles usually don't bother me, but I just stared at the screen for 15 minutes going DAH! Did'nt find many at all. No buy here.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jul 21, 10 1:53 AM
BossBrat wrote:
We want a good game! Stop putting out junk just because you promised a game a day. If you can't give us quality games, don't give us anything at all.

Amen!!!

Sometimes I have the feeling that the BF "Pick-man" forgets the most important rule of picking the HOGs: Intriguing Plot! - That's the "glue" that differs good HOG from bad HOG. That's the "glue" which assembles the "body parts" to a "whole body".

Plot, dear fishie, plot, plot, plot...

[Post New]by jaybon on Jul 21, 10 3:28 AM
Dull, dull, dull! I did try to like it but couldn't bear it after 20 minutes.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jul 21, 10 3:33 AM
Maybe I bought this game because the last few horrors made this game look good! I found it quite relaxing, hint system refills quickly, puzzles so far easy, English translation awful, but not to the point of not being able to find HOs. I like spot the diff games and jigsaws so no prob there.
It never gone be the greatest game on Earth, but to me quite pleasant and relaxing AND I can see most of the HOs without the need for a microscope!
So looking forwards to the upcoming CE HOG adventure game; in the meantime I'll play this one :-))

[Post New]by maggieannie43 on Jul 21, 10 3:35 AM
One word BORING BORING BORING well three words actually, where is Bigfish getting these games from 3 bad ones in the last three days scapping the bottom of the barrel. The music is so annoying the graphics poor the mini-games childish, COME BACK BIGFISH ALL IS FORGIVEN GIVE US A DECENT GAME. Warning try before you buy or you weill waste your money. Does any one at big fish actually try these games or are they on holiday, they are losing money because people will not buy these games.

dcairns
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by dcairns on Jul 21, 10 3:40 AM
Unfortunately, this one is another dud. The graphics are poor, and it is rather boring. During one of the first mini puzzles, my screen went completely white and I had to reboot my computer to get out of it. It did restart exactly where I had left off though.

This one definitely isn't worth spending even $2.99 on.

BFG please give us some new games worthy of purchasing!

sweetsofi
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by sweetsofi on Jul 21, 10 4:02 AM
Gave up after 10 minutes, so boring , no challenge there you only need 2 pair of eyes cause the objects are so small. So i will stay on my appetite AGAIN and wait for a real good HOG game. Have a good day all.

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Jul 21, 10 4:05 AM
Due to reviews and comments on this one - I pass on it! The only reason I'm not upset by having ANOTHER bad game is that I have a few in progress now I'm playing. I need some more time to play them before getting another one

BFG is the best site for games but I think they're on "vacation" now for summer Maybe we'll see some good games soon.

I'm not even downloading the demo, as some people have already stated.

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Jul 21, 10 4:36 AM
How many ways can you say "loser"? I tried to play the full hour so I could give the game a chance but I just could not tolerate it that long. Any HOG with intentionally fuzzy scenes is not for me. Contrast this game with the recent Golden West (? sorry if the title is incorrect) where the images are crystal clear and the objects are hidden very creatively. Fuzziness of picture is just an easy out; it indicates laziness and a lack of creativity.

The mini-games are simple and uninteresting. At the game's beginning, there is the hint of a story but that is quickly lost. And what holds a good HOG together is plot, as someone said earlier. The rules of the game are not clearly explained: you can earn extra points by finding "treasure" in each scene but I was never quite sure what constituted treasure. Sometimes it was just coins, sometimes coins and jewelry but not all the jewelry. Astute hunting did not matter; you just have to click on everything that appears to be "valuable." Sigh. Another game manufactured quickly just to produce another game.

And one final note: language. It is possible to find competant translators, really it is. Fractured English may be amusing but it is not helpful or useful. From reading the forums, I know that there are many educated and/or erudite Fishies out there. I'm sure any game developer could find good translators by simply swimming in the Pond. If you want us to purchase your game, please think enough of us to "speak" our language, if not perfectly, then at least comprehensibly.

Go to: