carolina67
Guppy
Guppy
150 Posts

Length Of Game

[Post New]by carolina67 on Jul 22, 10 2:47 PM
I am so on the fence as to whether to go on and buy the CE of this game or to wait for the cheaper version. One of the most important things to me is the length of a game. I realize each of us plays at a different pace, but would appreciate any input concerning it's length. Is it long enough to push me off the fence?

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

Re:Length Of Game

[Post New]by mst3kr on Jul 23, 10 5:00 AM
carolina, I got through the game in just over 3 hours. I was a little stumped at the beginning on how to enter the factory, but once I looked through my journal, the answer came to me. I used no hints, didn't refer to the strategy guide, and skipped only 1 game (after spending 15 minutes on it). A well-done game with great graphics, storyline, and fun puzzles. However, at $20, I don't think the "length vs. the value vs. the extras" is quite there. Just my opinion though...

Happy gaming!

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jul 23, 10 8:02 AM
I agree totally. 3 hrs of gameplay does not justify $19.95. What a shame to make such a nice game and have it be so short.

[Post New]by WeeHillyWilly on Jul 23, 10 8:43 AM
My timer is reading just over 10 hours when I got to the end. I however didn't time it, the timer in the game, said 10 hours and some odd minutes..

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Jul 23, 10 9:47 AM
My timer read 3 hours and 17 minutes... Now, I consider myself a pretty experienced hidden object/adventure gamer. So getting through Echoes might take others longer, and it might take a more challenging game for me to get some good length from it. For example, Dire Grove took me over 6 hours to play. Debate on the extras aside, I think the $20 there was justified. The gameplay, production values, puzzles, even the brand (to an extent)... It was worth it.

The way I view it, a movie matinee costs about 7 bucks for 1.5 to 2 hours of entertainment. While not an apples to apples comparison, if I can get 2 hours out of a $6.99 BFG game, I'm typically copacetic. And if I come close to 2x to 3x that time for 2x to 3x the price, it evens out, in my opinion. Plus you get the extra punches on your card. Here, with Echoes, the game time didn't come anywhere close to justify the $20.

Edited on 07/23/2010 at 11:24:40 PM PST

jca22
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by jca22 on Jul 23, 10 10:16 AM
I guess I cannot even understand how you could finish this game in three hours. There are SO many things to figure out, SO many games, **** scenes, that I thought were quite good. It took me about 5 hours.

The way they did not at all incorporate the strategy guide into the game was really poor planning...you have to leave the game, actually quit it, and then go out to extras, then open the guide, and I only had to use it a couple of times, but it became very tedious to have to quit the game to look something up. For twenty bucks, there should at least be a link from the game to the strategy guide, which is what we are actually paying for. Wallpaper? I wouldn't pay ten cents for wallpaper...is that supposed to induce me to plunk down an extra fifteen dollars for wallpaper? It is a good game, but is it worth $20? I actually liked Elixir of Immortality better, and it was longer and a better and less confusing storyline. Sorry Big Fish, but I'd wait until the $6.99 version comes out and Gamezbo has a walkthrough.

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Jul 23, 10 5:13 PM
jca - well, like I said, I've been doing HOG & adventure games for years & years. I've bought WAY too many to count from these past few years , and I guess I'm just used to the feel & rhythm of them. If it makes you feel any better, if I hadn't skipped that one mini-game (it was the one with the 5 rows of lights that you had to turn all on to get the door to open), it probably would've added another 1/2 hour to my game.

I do want to say that the bonus adventure took me well over an hour plus to complete. Some of the puzzles there were wicked! Especially compared to the master game. And the final puzzle in the bonus adventure? Eek!! That one was a doozy. My poor little clicky finger...

Edited on 07/23/2010 at 7:43:38 PM PST

fstar
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by fstar on Jul 24, 10 12:21 AM
"mst3kr" Appreciate your comments on the length of the game.

"I do want to say that the bonus adventure took me well over an hour plus to complete. Some of the puzzles there were wicked! Especially compared to the master game. And the final puzzle in the bonus adventure? Eek!! That one was a doozy. My poor little clicky finger... "

It gives me a better idea on the possible length and if the CE is worth the extra money. I am also pretty good at the HOG's and IHOG's and have also purchased way to many, well over a hunded of this type of game alone. That's not counting the MATCH 3's and PUZZLE games. So I would imagine it would take me pretty close to the same amount of time it took you. I usually don't keep track of how much time it takes me to play a game but I think I will with this one.

I hope your "poor little clicky finger" feels better before it's called into action again.

Thanks fstar

ShiningBright
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by ShiningBright on Jul 24, 10 3:29 AM
This in my opinion is a great game and worth the 19.95. The main game play took me 4 1/2 hours to do, reading everything, skipping no puzzles, using no hints. The bonus game play took me 1 1/2 hours to complete, no hints and no skipping, so a total of about 6 hours play.

Hope you all enjoyed or are enjoying it as much as I did. I am also gonna replay it and I know I will have just as much fun the second time through.

Go to: