aymes
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

Ask the Tribloos 3 developer

[Post New]by aymes on Apr 12, 18 2:55 PM
Hi all, Andy here, the developer of Tribloos 3

I've been asked to create a separate thread for any questions/comments you might have for me. Obviously please keep any technical questions to the support thread but if you have any thoughts about the game you'd like to discuss with me please feel free to post here.

Hope everyone is enjoying the game!

Edited on 04/12/2018 at 3:40:23 PM PST

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

Re:Ask the Tribloos 3 developer

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Apr 12, 18 3:40 PM
Hey aymes,

Thanks for creating this thread! I'm going to go ahead and sticky it so it'll be easy for our players to find. Hope everyone's enjoying the game!

bfgArinelle

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Apr 13, 18 11:48 AM
@aymes

Hello Andy

I just wanted to pop in and say that I have played a ton of Time Management games over the years, but none that were this much fun! I haven't played this series before, but as soon as I finish this game, on it

You've done an amazing job, thanks for the entertainment!

pennmom36

aymes
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by aymes on Apr 14, 18 12:31 AM
Aw thanks pennmom36, appreciate the post! Really glad to hear you're enjoying it so far!

[Post New]by dgriffith on Apr 14, 18 7:52 AM
Hi Andy, I just wanted to thank you for your quick response getting the resolution issue fixed so the game was playable!! I was super excited to wake up this morning and see the update for it.

I love your games, they are so much fun to play! I have the first two games and have played them over and over, I know I'll be doing the same with Tribloos 3.

I know how I'm going to be spending my Saturday today...playing Tribloos 3! I hope you have a wonderful day today and thank you again for the quick fix for the game.

aymes
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by aymes on Apr 14, 18 8:01 AM
dgriffith, that's great to hear. Hope you enjoy the game, a few nuanced changes since the previous game. Let me know what you think of the new features and I hope you enjoy playing it!

[Post New]by archimago on Apr 14, 18 11:28 AM
Thanks for making this game! However, I'm in level 8, and the vines are practically invisible against the treetops in the background. Could you maybe redesign the resources sprites so that they have a thick black outline or something to help them stand out?

Also, what part of the world are you guys from? I'm American, and I noticed the spelling of different words.

aymes
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by aymes on Apr 14, 18 12:52 PM
Hi archimago, sure thing I'll have a look at the vines to see if we can make those stand out better in the next release.

We're from the UK So yeah there will be some slight differences. I can, for once, legitimately blame my spell checker on this one

Hope you're enjoying it!

[Post New]by archimago on Apr 14, 18 3:59 PM
Thanks! Now, plot question: Why didn't their dragon friend scare away the birds? If the plot simply wouldn't work if she was around to help, then write a reason she's not around to help, such as she's taking care of her babies, or for some reason she moved away (which would make me sad ).

Also, there seems to be no explanation for why the Tribloos split up after (spoiler) Brainy is kidnapped. Did you forget a cutscene?

My mother and I (I'm using her account right now, any post here is from me) were wondering, how big are the Tribloos?

Finally, where did you get the idea for compressed cotton being rocket fuel? ^^;

Edited on 04/14/2018 at 4:18:50 PM PST

aymes
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by aymes on Apr 15, 18 12:38 AM
I had quite a bit more explanation in the game for all these things but playtesters kept saying it was all getting a bit wordy before you could get into playing anything!

So Matilda is away looking after her babies yes. Originally I had a blurb in the first cutscene at the start explaining this as animating it would have taken too long. It was more of a time/return constraint on this (the cutscenes ended up taking more than 1/3 of the development time to complete!) Then the feeling was that it was too dull to start the game with. I might try and get it into the chat text near the start.

Don't worry though, my plan is to bring Matilda back. It's a shame BFG don't support DLC because I have some plans along those lines too. But I'll see what I can do for users here on that front. Maybe a Tribloos 3 part two if I get enough add ons made to justify it.

Again I had quite a wordy explanation for the tribloos splitting up to look for Brainy. Maybe I went too far the other way with this and didn't explain it in any detail at all! What I think I'll do on the next update is put some text at the end of the second cut scene to explain that.

Haha the rocket fuel idea is a semi-real thing. It's not used as rocket fuel but it is as a lighter. I needed a fun resource to use for this so I chose that one

Ok so Tribloos are about 12 inches high! Tuff is a bit taller and brainy/shorely are smaller of course I've had some real life plushies made which I'm not allowed to link to (for usual BFG rules) but I'm sure you can find my external posts about this via google or our own site.

squishy2020
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by squishy2020 on Apr 15, 18 1:15 AM
Fantabulous game, some levels are a challenge and strategy is required, entertaining and addictive.

Have all three in the series and each one is fascinating. Thanks for the excellent work.

Spotlights in the circus are annoying, hard on the eyes as they keep sweeping across the screen.

aymes
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by aymes on Apr 15, 18 5:09 AM
Hi Squishy2020, thanks for the great comments Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

I'll keep an eye on the spotlights. Have a feeling there's a future level you might have issues with for a similar reason - but it's a feature for one level only. Most backgrounds are more subtle.

So I feels like I should have an additional option to reduce the level of movement in animated backgrounds? Removing it altogether might make the backgrounds seem a little too static. How does that sound?

[Post New]by dgriffith on Apr 15, 18 9:08 AM
Hi Andy, I'm thoroughly enjoying the game and having so much fun playing it! I love the challenge of trying to beat the level before the time runs out.

I'm excited to hear that you have "real life plushies" made...I'm going to look for those external posts of yours about them as I would love to be able to purchase one if they are for sale!! If they aren't available for sale, maybe you could think about offering them for sale as I'm sure I'm not the only Tribloos fan who would love to own one.

Thanks again for providing such a wonderful TM game series, you and your team provide us with many, many hours of fun!

ETA: I just wanted to add that I did find your blog post about the real life plushies and that pic of them is great! They are soo cute! I left you a comment under that blog post.

Edited on 04/15/2018 at 9:53:40 AM PST

boulter
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by boulter on Apr 15, 18 12:01 PM
Hi Andy, really love these games, they are deceptively challenging! Couple of questions about this one:

Is it just me or does it not go in order? When I finished level 30, I was taken to the dungeon, which is actually level 41. You can exit out and go to the swamps, which is level 31, not sure which is the correct order.

Static backgrounds as an option would be great. I have always found the moving backgrounds in 2 and 3 quite distracting.

I find this one a bit harder to navigate around, there is no indication when you return to the game what level you have completed or where you left off. Again, am I missing something?

Thanks for the great games!

[Post New]by bootlegvirgo on Apr 15, 18 10:05 PM
Hello Andy, I have played your other 2: Tribloos 1 and 2 and loved them and same for this one. Can you make a walkthrough or help with the trophies; especially, the weird ones on bottom of trophy wall? Also, I can't get 3 stars on level 30, so any help with that would be appreciated too. You can keep these games coming...love them!

Kim

aymes
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by aymes on Apr 15, 18 11:14 PM
Hi boulter, ah the idea is that after you complete level 10 you then have a choice of levels 11, 21 or 31 to start on next. The idea being that it allows you a bit of variety to choose from. This also happens after level 40 and you can choose between levels 41, 51, 61 and 71! The game should, in theory, choose the next uncompleted area for you.

I'll have a go at making this more clear in the next update.

Thanks for the feedback on static backgrounds. Hope you're enjoying it

-----

Hi bootlegvirgo, glad to hear you like it so far! Usually I don't do a guide because other people do a much better job than I do of explaining how to get gold times. A youtuber did all of Tribloos 2 very well and there are already some great hints in the forum here. But if no such guide materialises soon I'll start one myself

squishy2020
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by squishy2020 on Apr 16, 18 3:05 AM
Yes, reducing the level of movement would help (also the train). No way would I reach gold stars, not a fan of speed, but great that the slower players can still complete the game.

Did not notice the choice of levels!!

At Level 91, with a little assistance on strategy from a more experienced player (my son!!)

This is an absolutely amazing series - now we will be looking for Tribloos 4, characters are cute!!

[Post New]by bootlegvirgo on Apr 16, 18 4:18 PM
Okay, some of your trophies are not "working" and there seems to be a technical issue. For example: I have raised the flags, blew up the columns/whatever, melted the snow, and placed the parasols. But, can't get the trophies for them and they won't even track down like the red nose one. It is like I am not doing it at all.

Kim

[Post New]by archimago on Apr 16, 18 5:34 PM
Finally made it to act 3, and it's been quite challenging--I'm mentally exhausted a bit ^^; A few more things to you hard-working brothers from this young man with too many questions:

- Juuuust wondering, are you aware that tuning forks don't actually work that way? The same for windmills in the first game. You can't create more sound/wind just with sound/wind from one source. Conservation of energy. Did you know this and simply choose to ignore it because it was funny or simpler that way?

- Little semantics thing: you have a swamp level complete with banjos and not-moonshine. They're alligators, not crocodiles. (If they were crocs, the folks around there wouldn't be as relaxed living near them--while American alligators are actually pretty docile if you don't tick 'em off, crocodiles are aggressive.)

- Speaking of the swamp levels, I found them to be rather long and arduous. I also noticed a lot forced me to do things in a roundabout fashion. Is that intentional, reflecting the overly-relaxed way Tim (and later Tuff; I'm suspecting the swamp gas made him go a bit funny, so to speak)?

- Were you possibly inspired by a certain classic platforming game series about a bear and bird for the random-voice-clip-grunts-as-dialogue-is-spelled-out idea? It's a cute touch either way!

- How do you get your in-level music tracks to loop seamlessly? Many other indie games have a pause or a noticeable point where it loops, but no such thing here--quite professional. Bravo!

- Were the Tribloos themselves partially inspired by tribbles? (It would explain how they multiply so quickly--all you need to do is whip up a house and BAM, five more of 'em ready to go! )

- How big is Matilda? I screenshotted the cutscene in 1 where we see her full-body and the Tribloos below, and she's about 10 Treys high--meaning on her hind legs, she's about 10 feet. The second game has her bigger, however, it seems--at the very least, she's obviously using tail extensions. Either way, as an enormous fan of dragons, I'm still so happy to see a good one in a game.

That said, perhaps a sort of "add-on" could be Matilda's misadventures during the plot of 3; she must have been VERY occupied! Of course, the Tribloos could be helping her, and perhaps they find some other problem on the other side of the island. (Oh dear...did I just give myself the idea for a fanfic?)

- Oh, little thing: I think it would be great if you had a small sound play whenever *gagged by character limit*

[Post New]by archimago on Apr 16, 18 5:37 PM
*coughs out gag* an obstacle or building is finished. It helps players know it's done and adds some satisfaction to finishing a task. I don't think one's needed for when a Tribloo is done making something in a building, though.

I could go on for a bit, I suppose, but I've wasted enough of your time. I hope you guys do well with this, and thanks for the terrific game! As a serious gamer, I'm challenged by this and find this very fun and interesting, and I'm not much for time management games.

-- FerreTrip (using his mother's Big Fish account)

Go to: