Real life good news!

[Post New]by Hufflepuff on Apr 14, 18 3:16 PM
Because I feel that well in the forum and sometimes see players share rl news-most of them bad- I want to tell good news.
After four weeks of waiting and hoping we just were informed that our new cat is arriving from Spain next Friday.
We still are deeply sad because of the lost of our beloved Artie two month ago but Coni, who will never get his place in our hearts maybe comfort my daughter and me a little bit.
Our remaining cat Honey needs a playmate urgently! She never liked to play with us but with Artie only.
Please press your thumbs that the girls become friends!
The cats live with my daughter but I am always close at hand.
Thanks for reading!

Angelfish
Angelfish
1,060 Posts

Re:Real life good news!

[Post New]by 1457051 on Apr 14, 18 3:30 PM
Congrats! There is always room in your heart to welcome and love a new pet!!

AuntieRoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,393 Posts

[Post New]by AuntieRoo on Apr 14, 18 3:31 PM
I am so pleased for you & although your new kitty will never replace Artie I’m sure you love him just as much

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Apr 14, 18 3:36 PM
That's lovely, HufflePuff!

I've had some experience introducing a new kitty to an established household. If I may offer some (unsolicited) advice …… ?

Just take it slow introducing them to each other, so Honey, the established cat, doesn't feel her territory is being invaded.

The experts recommend putting the new cat in a closed room, equipped with food, water, litterbox, bed, & toys, & letting them "meet" through the crack under the door. Trust me - they will!
It is also helpful if you give the new kitty something with Honey's "happy pheromones" on it - a favorite toy or a blanket she likes. That way, the new kitty will associate Honey's smell with good things.
And when you go into the room to pet & tend to Coni, be sure to pet her face, then when you leave, pet Honey's face to mingle their happy pheromones together with your scent. Pet Honey all over with this mixture. It will help establish to her that the 3 of you are family.
Then, if possible, go back & pet Coni with the mixture.
Some back & forth like this will further enforce the community.

2 or 3 days is usually sufficient before opening the door & letting them touch noses.
But if you're hearing any hissing at all, wait another day.

Good luck & enjoy!!!!

[Post New]by Hufflepuff on Apr 14, 18 4:10 PM
Desertdruid, your advice is very welcome!
I have a lot of experience with Kittys but only one with a cat out of a Refugium from Spain, our beloved Honey who is with us since ten years.
Before she came we are told she was shy and needs space for herself. Yes, she was shy but needed to know her family was there, She kept eyesight and in the first nights
chose places where she was able to hear her family breathing.
Everything is prepared for Coni, she will have a room for her own including everything she needs or might want. She will have everything to eat any cat has ever liked,
I hope my animal doctor is right saying we can "read" Kittys and will know what Coni wants, her desires have priority!

I am going to dwell there for the first days in case Coni asks for attention, if not we will leave her alone.
My daughter Désirée will not have time to give attention to Coni the first hours. Honey always has demanded a lot of attention from her "Mom", she was not jealous against Artie. Since his death she is obsessive to Mummie.

The only thing that is clear is that my daughter has to spend the first time when Coni has arrived with Honey.
Whenever Désirée looks after Coni I will be with Honey. She loves me but is not obsessive to me.
We are so excited! Maybe this text is to long and a little confused, thanks a lot for any advise!

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Apr 14, 18 4:27 PM
That's great - sounds like you are well prepared.
Formerly shy, even aloof cats often become clingy when their companion dies. That's how my Sara was. Just give her lots of love & attention so she knows she's not being replaced.
I'm very happy for you all.

[Post New]by Hufflepuff on Apr 14, 18 4:50 PM
We are prepared! Artie would like to give his earthly place to a disabled girl nobody wants. He loved girls!
Honestly for me it is to early for a new kitty but Honey and Désirée need her. I am unable to fall in love in a photo but Conis history takes my heart. I prefer Kittys I can see before the adoption but I fell in love with Honey at first sight, sure this will happen with Coni, too.

Sharp_Eye574363
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,845 Posts

[Post New]by Sharp_Eye574363 on Apr 14, 18 5:23 PM
To add to Desertdruid's advice, when you first open the door for Honey and Coni to "meet", put a baby gate in the doorway between them and feed them a good distance apart. Each day, repeat the process but move the food dishes a few inches closer. Once the dishes are a mere inch or two apart with the gate between them, if it looks like they are fine, remove the gate and all should be well.

Ada

[Post New]by Hufflepuff on Apr 14, 18 5:29 PM
Thank you, Ada!
It seems foolish, I have cats since 30 years and now I am unsecure like a beginner!
Christa

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Apr 14, 18 5:45 PM
My daughter had one cat and then introduced another to their dwelling.

She was never able to put the food down all the time or together ...... the first cat would eat his portion and then that of the other cat. (First cat had been abandoned -- they found him at a car dealership on a closed day. He never felt secure enough to leave food behind.)

[Post New]by Hufflepuff on Apr 14, 18 6:12 PM
I have worries that the only place to feed Coni seperated means Honey must get her food at an unusual place.
My heart breaks by considering the new sweetie is alone locked up in a room unable to tell her needs to her family, Honey did!

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Apr 14, 18 7:16 PM
It is great that you are adopting a rescue cat. My cat Marius, I adopted when he was 12 years old and his owner had died. He knew me because I cat sat him for 3 months when his dad was overseas. I brought him with me when I moved interstate and the house came with a street kitten, Sam, who appears as Ghost Kitten Sam, in the special room. Sam and Marius had their own MC games that they made me play for them as their paws were took big for the keyboard. Marius sat on my lap and snooze, Sam clung around my neck like a ginger necktie. They are both gone now so their games were retired as well.

He bonded so closely that when Sam was killed on the road, couldn't keep him confined, he dug holes in the carpet, that he went into a decline and wouldn't eat. We got a rescue cat, to his specifications, from the R.S.P.C.A, he took one sniff at her and decided she would do. They were never the pals that he and Sam were but they lived amicably together. Much better than the Mother and daughter cat I had years ago. Daughter was Mum cat's favourite kitten, but she would have preferred her to go to a new home as did the other 3 kittens. Separate feed areas in the kitchen, different spots in the yard, but they did unite against intruders.

Shawkn
Clownfish
Clownfish
754 Posts

[Post New]by Shawkn on Apr 14, 18 8:57 PM
Thank you for sharing such great news!

I know from experience that you can never "replace" a cherished cat like Artie. The best you can do is get another one and love and appreciate Coni for who she is.

I have three rescued cats and like AnnaDownes, Uli was 12 and orphaned after his owner passed. When we picked him out at the shelter, we also took Cooper home. He is our gangsta cat as he came with a rap sheet for biting. One more bite and he would have been put down so of course we had to take him. They came home to Ezra (giant Maine Coone who moved himself in with us when his owners abandoned him and we already had Asher...my big gray cat. Add to the mix, Reggie, who we have been fostering for a co-worker since June and we now have 5 cats living here in harmony. I don't know if it's because they are all boys or adopted as older cats, but after "quarantine" for illnesses, the cats pretty much just accepted one another from the beginning each time we brought one home. They all have their unique relationships with one another. Guess we were lucky? Oh...and I can forget the 100 lb. German Shepherd they all live with who treats them like a strange looking puppy litter.

Don't worry too much and I am sure it will all work out. Sometimes the best companion for a cat is another cat as they can do cat things together and save the humane stuff for us. Once they figure out no one is a threat and that there are good times to be had with each other...it will be great!!!!

Kate

[Post New]by Hufflepuff on Apr 15, 18 10:01 AM
Thank you all for your nice words and good advice!
I am sure I will fall in love with Coni by the first sight. She is four years old and waiting for a family since two years. She is described as very social to other cats, so we hope she and Honey will become friends.
It is important for us that she does not similar to Artie. He was a big black male cat, Coni is a red girl.

Christa

cindykat325
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by cindykat325 on Apr 15, 18 10:45 AM
Awwwww so sorry for your loss but so happy for your new furry friend!!!! Fingers crossed your new baby will comfort you all!!!
Cindy

Go to: