genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

Re:Comments and Review

[Post New]by genkicoll on Aug 28, 10 1:20 PM
Considering how old this game is, it's not bad. Not great, mind you, but not bad... as long as you don't mind a lot of reading.

Read a few pages of text, play a few hidden object rooms, play a couple of easy (non-skippable, timed, fast-click!) mini-games, then into the elevator to the next level of the hotel.

Repeat.

The music is almost non-existent, except during the text/reading portion. For the rest of the game, the "music" is a constant spooky sound effect - it quickly becomes distracting.

HOG scenes are timed, but at 20 minutes a room, they might as well not be timed at all. Typical "find objects on a list" scenes, but there are also 3 bonus items per room, which are found by shape. The first and third bonus item you find will give you extra time for the room; the second item will give you an extra hint (assuming that you have less than five when you find that second item). With only five hints per level of the hotel (and there could be four rooms to look through), you'll want to strategize both the use of hints and the finding of bonus items.

The story is interesting enough that I've finished 8 levels thus far, but I find myself hoping that this is not a long game. So-so game with adequate artwork.

bfgTigris
Salmon
Salmon
2,693 Posts

Re:Comments and Review

[Post New]by bfgTigris on Sep 8, 10 9:17 AM
Hey fishies!

Thank you for starting the comments and reviews thread, I'm going to go ahead and sticky this.

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

bfgTigris

Edited on 09/08/2010 at 9:18:16 AM PST

The_Wanderer
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Haunted Hotel

[Post New]by The_Wanderer on Sep 26, 10 1:31 PM
Just finished this game and I enjoyed it.

It does exactly what it says on the tin. It's a hidden object game.

There is a lot of reading but that's telling the story so I wanted to read it to find out more about what was happening and why.

I didn't really enjoy the jigsaw puzzles but apart from that the other mini games were interesting, although a bit repetitive.

I thought the graphics were nice and if you turned the music down low then it wasn't annoying and made a nice background effect.

I'd say this was old school, and I liked it.

[Post New]by Puffinpower on Oct 2, 10 9:06 PM
I only played about 30 minutes of the demo before deciding this wasn't for me. So-so graphics, an excessive amount of written exposition, and a damned annoying mini-game that just involves lots of fast click and no other skills beyond that are what sent me packing. Sorry Haunted Hotel. I normally like the HOG's with a spooky storyline.

[Post New]by pearlofgr8price on Nov 27, 10 8:53 AM
Spending most of the free trial hour reading...BORING! I guess this game is not for me.

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Nov 27, 10 1:01 PM
I started out reading then discovered if i clicked on the "transcript", the whole page appeared and i could scan it. That cut my reading time down considerably and i got to level 9 at the end of the hour.

Anyone know how many levels? I saw someone say they were on 14, but no word of the total.

bashfuldi
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by bashfuldi on Dec 14, 10 4:34 AM
I had forgotten how good the old games can be. The reading can be tedious but I think it adds to the mystery of the game. I liked the bonus items and the mini games that were challenging but not that hard. Which in my book is how a mini game should be. In this game the items are somewhat fuzzy but still findable. I really like this game I am not sure why but I guess it is refreshing not to have to try and fix anything to play it.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Dec 14, 10 8:07 PM
I like to have the games give an option to be un timed. This one is timed only, so not for me.

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Dec 23, 10 11:34 PM
The story was interesting and kept me going so I could read more. The ending wasn't all that satisfying but I enjoyed the mystery and learning more about what had happened.

Graphics aren't as nice as newer HOGs, but not ugly. There's a pool of something like 15 scenes that each appear in several levels, although you get a different item list each time. Some of the same items appear in different scenes.

Music was minimalist and I liked it; it added to the spooky atmosphere. I didn't like the sound effects, though. Creaking doors and ticking clocks, etc. I thought those worked well in MCF: Ravenhearst, but they were kind of annoying in this game.

There were 6 different mini-games and you get a few to play at the end of every level. Nothing too challenging, but I liked them all.

Each scene is timed, but you get so much time that the only way you could run out is if you left the room and did something else and forgot you were playing a game.

Edited on 12/23/2010 at 11:35:25 PM PST

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Jan 18, 11 9:47 AM
The graphics are older. The gameplay is HOG, which has some dark objects. There are minigames which range from puzzling to outright annoying. The storyline is wonderful. Not a bad game, not a great one either.

This game is a C+.

[Post New]by mystlvr on Jan 31, 11 3:40 PM
This is my 1st time posting in this forum but after playing the demo (about 20 minutes) for Haunted Hotel, I had to comment. I love HOG games, but this one is annoying! All that reading, the silly mini-games (catching those "energy" balls was the worst!), only succeeded in being very aggravating. I'm glad I only played the demo, but I never thought I'd run into an HOG that was this bad!

katbeth01
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by katbeth01 on Mar 25, 11 7:27 PM
I did not enjoy this game at all. I thought it was VERY boring.

hornplayer
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by hornplayer on Mar 26, 11 12:29 PM
VERY BORING!
Too much reading.
Each floor of the hotel had the same rooms with the same objects to find.
What is the point?
Mini games were always the same and were not very good.
Don't waste your money on this.

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 12, 11 10:20 AM
Game Ratings:

Graphics – 2 stars
Story – 2 stars
Music/Sounds – 3 stars
Gameplay – 2 stars
Overall – 2.25 stars

My ratings of games can be high as 5 and can be low as 1.

Ratings Explained:

1 star: Poor
2 stars: Okay
3 stars: Good
4 stars: Great
5 stars: Excellent

I won’t be purchasing this game at all. For those who did – Happy Gaming!

Gojira2006
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,183 Posts

[Post New]by Gojira2006 on Nov 21, 11 7:08 PM
It's weird - kind of like if Kafka did a Hidden Object game . . .

Gojira2006
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,183 Posts

[Post New]by Gojira2006 on Nov 22, 11 5:14 PM
. . . but that said, it's the only game I've played that I've been able to win the tangled rope puzzles . . .

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Dec 31, 11 9:06 AM
I bought this game back in 2008, at the time after playing G.H.O.S.T. and loving it, this one was just right in the type of game I was already getting hook to.

Back then this game was great to me, nice story, mystery and the graphics were not bad at all.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Mar 12, 13 1:55 AM
Well, well, well......let me start by saying, if I want to read a book, I usually use my kindle fire. If I want to play arcade style games, I would by those. If I wanted everything timed, I would look for those types of games, as well. Not a fan of this game, at all. Rode the elevator all the way to 16, which is the end, however, there isn't anything for you to do, but....read some more. I certainly did not find the timed scenes, any different than the way I usually play any other game. I did like the story line, but would have prefered to actually play more actively, rather than having 4 doors in front of me and chosing a door is my only choice.

Another problem I had was with some of the "facts". Aside from the grammatical errors, when he initially starts he says he sees a red painted cross on the wall. In my mind I immediately thought of the red cross, as an example. Later he begins to refer to them as crucifixes, which is totally different. I'm telling you, if it wasn't for the cat, I would have given up a long time ago, but I wanted to see this game through, just to see if it would get better......total disappointment

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Feb 27, 14 7:20 PM
This game wasn't for me.

[Post New]by mkchrc14 on Jun 18, 14 11:24 AM
The game was as advertised, a hidden object game with a few mini games in between HOS. I am a point and click adventure gamer so why did I try this game? I find that BFG tend to mislabel their games and often confuse point and click adventures with hidden object adventures so I try to be open minded and try demos in which the storyline appeals to me. This was such a game.Hidden object gamers will like this game.

Go to: