DonnyDJ
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
475 Posts

Forgotten Lands: The First Settlers - available now??

[Post New]by DonnyDJ on Nov 4, 08 12:58 PM
Forgotten Lands: The First Settlers is a Build a Lot agriculture type game that had been in beta here on Bigfish. Here is good news (I think!) I went to the Forgotten Lands: The First Settlers beta page on Bigfish. The game now appears to be no longer in beta and it is available for purchase. It is now called Forgotten Lands: The First Colony. Perhaps it is the final version of the game since you can buy it here from Bigfish....

Does anyone know if this version is final?? People over at playfirst played the beta and really seemed to like it

Don

(I can't post a link here, but if you google it, the game will come up right away.)

CynthiaV
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

Re:Forgotten Lands: The First Settlers - available now??

[Post New]by CynthiaV on Nov 5, 08 5:35 AM
I'm downloading the demo now. It is a tomorrow's game today game available to game club members today and all else tomorrow. I love these kind of games and am hoping it is similar to Virtual Villagers and their sequels. Will post more once I play.

tiffydawn
Minnow
Minnow
276 Posts

[Post New]by tiffydawn on Nov 5, 08 5:40 AM
I would love to hear someone's review on this game. I am at work so can't do the trial for another 8 hours. LOL

katy147
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by katy147 on Nov 5, 08 5:49 AM
I love these type of games also! Finally not a HO game! But I try to download it and it says it can't connect! Go figure!

CynthiaV
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by CynthiaV on Nov 5, 08 6:50 AM
Reporting back on Forgotten Lands: I ended up purchasing this game. It's a fun game but be warned it does have a timer. It's a generous timer, kind of like the early stages of Build-a-Lot but if you don't like timers than it might not be for you. I wish the developers would have let you play it with or without the timer but so far it hasn't been a big deal -- I've been able to complete the stages with plenty of time to spare -- who knows what the future holds though!

The graphics are ok but the people (they're called units) don't move around like in Virtual Villagers more like in Westward. You have to put them to work either on a farm to harvest food, in a lumber mill, a mine, etc. and you have goals like harvesting so much food, lumber, buying lands, upgrading buildings, etc. Just like in Build-a-lot some of the stages give you secondary goals after you meet the first goal -- that's a little aargh but so far no big deal. It looks like there are a lot of stages and bonus rounds that are unlocked as you go along and you can choose to play these or the regular game kind of like a sandbox.

If you like TM/resource/sim games you probably will enjoy this -- I do so I kind of knew I was going to purchase it when I saw it. Even though I like HO and matching games I get a little tired of those. Graphics are kind of primitive but sometimes I like that too -- really cute. Would be better with the choice of timer/no timer. Maybe the developers will figure this one out soon! If you're on the fence I recommend you try it but you do have to play the tutorials or I think it would be frustrating. Interested to hear what others think once they play. Happy gaming!

Oh, one last thing: I had no problem downloading and playing it -- no glitches. I'm using XP and do have problems with some games but this one loaded and played fine.

Edited on 11/05/2008 at 6:52:07 AM PST

[Post New]by TamzC2 on Nov 5, 08 7:56 AM
Tried the Demo, loved it, so bought the game. Still loving it, but I'm now getting game freeze - more than slightly annoying when it happens just as you are about to finish a level!!

Worth getting :-)

DonnyDJ
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
475 Posts

[Post New]by DonnyDJ on Nov 5, 08 9:04 AM
What makes this game so much better than Virtual Villagers IMO is that it has levels and goals. I hope this game is a hit! I personally love having a timer.

Question- I havent played that far in the game but are you able to achieve normal vs expert on later levels?

DonnyDJ
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
475 Posts

[Post New]by DonnyDJ on Nov 5, 08 2:14 PM
BUMP

soymocha
Shark
Shark
11,574 Posts

[Post New]by soymocha on Nov 5, 08 2:20 PM
I am about 1/3 of the way through and the levels do get more difficult. I have had to start a few over and even on the second or third try almost did not pass the level.

This is one game I do enjoy. I like the challenge of figuring out how to better use my people and money to get better scores.

[Post New]by nf1_girl on Nov 5, 08 3:42 PM
This game is crashing for me. As soon as it gets to the big fish screen I get an error message I really want to play that game though!

soymocha
Shark
Shark
11,574 Posts

[Post New]by soymocha on Nov 5, 08 3:44 PM
Welcome to the pond nf1_girl, You might want to contact tech support to the right of the screen and see if they can help.

jolly1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by jolly1 on Nov 5, 08 6:40 PM
Loved playing the game. However, BIG BEEF about the timer. I like to play in relaxed mode or with no timer at all and here they have a timer. Well, I must not have been too upset since I bought it, but come on people, give us old fogeys a choice about timers/no timers. Not all your clients are 18 with sharp reflexes!!

soymocha
Shark
Shark
11,574 Posts

[Post New]by soymocha on Nov 5, 08 7:38 PM
It is a fun game, glad they were able to help. The tech team here in the pond are the best

juliamadeane
Flounder
Flounder
2,137 Posts

[Post New]by juliamadeane on Nov 5, 08 8:14 PM
Here's the highest praise I can give this game . . . I'm fighting a Migraine and this game does NOT exacerbate it at all. I have had to turn the music down -- only because it was getting a little monotonous . . . but other than that -- I do enjoy this game. I really loved the build-a-lots (which were the games that brought me to BFG) and it is very similar with the goals for each level. I have played 2 of the bonus games -- they are not easy -- and unlike build-a-lot there are specific goals to be achieved and you are timed -- the second one I played was creating a village with only using 1 worker, but you could recruit defenders, merchants and scouts. I haven't beat that one yet and I'm planning on blaming the headache for it!! But -- this game has kept me occupied for the day (I did purchase it!) and away from the pain meds -- so it is a keeper as far as I'm concerned!!!

[Post New]by bthimsen on Nov 5, 08 11:06 PM
Downloaded the game but am having trouble getting past level 11

Can't seem to figure out how to achieve the 90 food reserve....kind of embarressed sounds like you all have made it all the way through!

tweedledumm
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by tweedledumm on Nov 5, 08 11:17 PM
katy147 wrote:I love these type of games also! Finally not a HO game! But I try to download
it and it says it can't connect! Go figure!

yea i dl it and did not like one bit it's an exact copy of:age of empires and
other such games can't waste my time with this nonesense. it's a waste
of my time maybe not yours. but i do not like it.
tweedie

sorry but this is only my opion not of others.

Edited on 11/05/2008 at 11:19:28 PM PST

CynthiaV
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by CynthiaV on Nov 5, 08 11:19 PM
bthimsen wrote:Downloaded the game but am having trouble getting past level 11

Can't seem to figure out how to achieve the 90 food reserve....kind of embarressed sounds like you all have made it all the way through!

The key is to upgrade the farm as soon as possible, make sure you have a defender and a scholar as soon as you have enough workers to feed them. Work on getting enough resources so that you can upgrade quickly to 4 stars so you can upgrade to cultivators and get them working. Set up a second farm and upgrade that too. You'll get it. Sometimes if I start a level and it starts going downhill fast I just restart the level before I get too far along. Cuts down on the frustration and the headaches...

Good luck!

Elkestra
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,825 Posts

[Post New]by Elkestra on Nov 5, 08 11:25 PM
tweedledumm wrote:
tweedie

Have to admit, I'm really enjoying this game (though as others, loathing the timer).

But, to respond to your post, I'm having a really hard time figuring out how anyone could call it an 'exact copy' of Age of Empires, or even most of the games of that ilk. Barring the collecting of resources, the way it plays out is very different.

Edited on 11/05/2008 at 11:26:40 PM PST

[Post New]by bthimsen on Nov 5, 08 11:26 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the tip - going to try and will let you know!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 6, 08 2:49 AM
Elkestra wrote:
tweedledumm wrote:
tweedie

Have to admit, I'm really enjoying this game (though as others, loathing the timer).

But, to respond to your post, I'm having a really hard time figuring out how anyone could call it an 'exact copy' of Age of Empires, or even most of the games of that ilk. Barring the collecting of resources, the way it plays out is very different.

Have to agree with your comments completely Kes especially about that - - - - - - timer!

I had to buy it because I hadn't even finished the tutorial before I ran out of demo time! Boy am I slow! (but 'im indoors kept trying to talk to me at the same time as well, boy don't you hate it when real life interrupts game play? LOL).

I these type of games and cannot get enough of them, Ages, Settlers, Caesar, Pharaoh, Cleopatra, Nile Children, etc. Give me a random map with resources scattered about (no timer) and I am in heaven, sheer bliss.

TO ALL GAME DEVELOPERS - Set us goals to achieve by all means but don't penalise us for not being able to finish them quickly, not everyone is 100% fit and, if you include a RELAXED MODE In EVERY GAME you develop your games will appeal to ALL GAME PLAYERS and you will ultimately sell more games and make everyone

I, and a lot of my fellow fishes, would appreciate it if could pass this message on for us. Thank you.

ISUN
Cher

Go to: