lynne8179
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,322 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by lynne8179 on Nov 15, 09 4:58 PM
hi purple r

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Nov 15, 09 5:06 PM
Hello Mum.

hilyer25
Marlin
Marlin
9,083 Posts

[Post New]by hilyer25 on Nov 15, 09 5:14 PM
Thanks Purplerabbit! Duh! Visitors. LOL

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Nov 15, 09 5:35 PM
on the screen shot of the book case there are 2 books that stand out one is titled Celtic History of Medieval Britain and another on the bottom shelf is titled Folklore Fact or Fiction.

hmmm sounds like some interesting reading going on there.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Nov 15, 09 5:56 PM
Here's my thoughts so far...

On the screenshot of the journal page:
-- the title "Dig Uncovers Relic" and Relic is crossed out - it says "Portal Key"
-- on that same journal page the red ink in the margin says "contains relic key" and points to what looks like the top of one of those Celtic crosses in the graveyard.
-- The journal article text is very hard to read but what I can pick out is as follows:
"Yorkshire: Archeologists in Britian have discovered an ancient engraved object, believed to be of that (can't read) nearly 2,000 years ago, a media report said today. The (xxx) ruins found near the banks of the (Wxxx) river near a Celtic ruins site has been on display at the living xxx in the manorship of Dire Grove, newspaper reporters quoting xxx officials.
The metalwork depicts four xxx dancing and holding ancient xxx. It escaped previous excavation in Dire Grove, one of the oldest Celtic archeological sites in Britian. The figures appear to represent a blacksmith, farmer, xxx, and fisherman, archeologist Patricia Anderson, who excavated a number of ... Yorkshire... expressions a ritual performed during the xxx... the Celtic people gathered to celebrate the new year and gave thanks for a plentiful ..."

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Nov 15, 09 6:02 PM
More thoughts...my hunch is that the important book on the bookshelf shown in another screenshot is "Celtic History of Medieval Britain"... so after doing some brief research maybe this is how it's connected:

"From what we know of the Celts from Roman commentators, who are, remember, witnesses with an axe to grind, they held many of their religious ceremonies in woodland groves and near sacred water such as wells and springs. The Romans speak of human sacrifice as being a part of Celtic religion. One thing we do know, the Celts revered human heads.

Celtic warriors would cut off the heads of their enemies in battle and display them as trophies. They mounted heads in doorposts and hung them from their belts. This might seem barbaric to us, but to the Celt the seat of spiritual power was the head, so by taking the head of a vanquished foe they were appropriating that power for themselves. It was a kind of bloody religious observance."

So remember the heads on the crypt doorway in the video?

Edit: So why would this be important - maybe the heads on the doorway represent a siginificant part of the story?

Edited on 11/15/2009 at 6:05:37 PM PST

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Nov 15, 09 6:07 PM
(Sorry for being a post hog...)

From the screenshots, video is definitely incorporated into this game. It looks you might be able to access different videos from the journal, depending on where you are in the game. And there are the typical video controls like FF, REW, PLAY, etc.

Edit: After looking at the screenshot that has the dark-haired girl writing something in the car I noticed that the journal is not even open. So maybe viewing videos has to do with that Crime Computer on the lower right?

Edited on 11/15/2009 at 9:26:31 PM PST

sunfish09
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,595 Posts

[Post New]by sunfish09 on Nov 15, 09 6:09 PM
Emmyjayne
Great detective work
This game is going to be a spooky one

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Nov 15, 09 6:16 PM
OK, here's my attempt at transcribing the newspaper article. Questionable words are italicized, unreadable are blank.

Archeologists in Britain discovered an ancient engraved object, believed to be of the Iron Age, nearly 2,000 years ago, a media repot said today. _____ was found near the banks of the W______ river near a Celtic ____ ____ has been put on display at the living history museum in the township of Dire Grove, newspaper reported quoting museum officials.

The metalwork depicts four farmers/figures dancing and holding _____ ______. It escaped previous excavations in Dire Grove, one of the oldest Celtic archeological sites in Britain.

The figures appear to represent a blacksmith, farmer, _____ and a fisherman said Patricia Anderson who excavated a number of sites _____ Yorkshire _____ _____ ______. She said the artwork likely represents a ritual performed during the Fall festival, a time when the Celtic peoples gathered to celebrate the new year and give thanks for a plentiful bounty. The ____ symbols encircling the ____ of the relic

And that's the end. I realize not all of this makes sense, but it is VERY hard to read, and at least you can get a sense of it.

Keep up the sleuthing, fishies, I think we're getting close!

Edited on 11/15/2009 at 6:20:07 PM PST

[Post New]by Mamaslilmonster on Nov 15, 09 6:18 PM
LALALALALALA this is me waiting

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Nov 15, 09 6:19 PM
Regarding the screenshot of the room with the fireplace...

The caption Picman titled that screenshot was "Empty?"...

Based on the journal article I mentioned in an earlier post it said:

"...found near the banks of the (Wxxx) river near a Celtic ruins site has been on display at the living xxx in the manorship of Dire Grove..."

Maybe the screenshot is of the living museum and whatever held the ancient object is now empty?

Edit: changed living room to living museum based on calsmom's post.

Edited on 11/15/2009 at 6:26:49 PM PST

[Post New]by Mamaslilmonster on Nov 15, 09 6:19 PM
all this talk of sacrifices is kinda gruesome do u really think it will go that way?

[Post New]by Mamaslilmonster on Nov 15, 09 6:22 PM
I hope we hear something else soon

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Nov 15, 09 6:25 PM
Awesome Calsmom! You found several of the missing words. So if we put the two of ours together here's what we get:

"Yorkshire: Archeologists in Britian have discovered an ancient engraved object, believed to be of that of the Iron Age nearly 2,000 years ago, a media report said today. The (xxx) ruins were found near the banks of the (Wxxx) river near a Celtic ruins site has been on display at the living history museum in the manorship of Dire Grove, newspaper reported quoting museum officials.
The metalwork depicts four figures dancing and holding ancient xxx. It escaped previous excavation in Dire Grove, one of the oldest Celtic archeological sites in Britian. The figures appear to represent a blacksmith, farmer, xxx, and fisherman, said archeologist Patricia Anderson, who excavated a number of site xxx Yorkshire xxx. She said the artwork likely represents a ritual performed during the Fall festival, a time when the Celtic people gathered to celebrate the new year and gave thanks for a plentiful bounty. The xxx symbols encircling the xxx of the relic."

Edited on 11/15/2009 at 7:11:28 PM PST

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Nov 15, 09 6:32 PM
Yup Emmyjane, that's pretty much how it looks to me! Maybe someone with better eyesight (or in my case, younger eyes ) will be able to make out the words we couldn't. Or maybe someone has software that will let them zoom in closer - nothing I tried worked.

It certainly does look like Celts and even henges may be playing a role here...Can't wait, can't wait, CAN'T WAIT!!!!

(Which is exactly the same thing I said this time last year LOL)

Edited on 11/15/2009 at 6:32:26 PM PST

lilgirl88
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
463 Posts

[Post New]by lilgirl88 on Nov 15, 09 6:38 PM
I finally got to look at the screen shots and I'm with you Calsmon I can't wait. I'm really hoping, k crossing fingers and praying to the gaming gods, that it will be released earlier. Long shot but hey we all have dreams and it would make lots of fishies happy.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Nov 15, 09 6:40 PM
Wow Emmyjane, I just realized that the post about "A Celtic History of Medieval Britain" (or whatever the name was, LOL) was also by you. You must type and research very quickly indeed. Great work!

ETA: My fingers are crossed for 12/3 - that's my birthday. Wouldn't that be a nice present? HINT, HINT, HINT (I mean, of course, unless we can get it sooner)

Edited on 11/15/2009 at 6:42:00 PM PST

cadfael
Shark
Shark
10,550 Posts

[Post New]by cadfael on Nov 15, 09 6:49 PM
OK, for those looking for a tie-in to RTR: the last screen shot picman posted is of initials carved in a tree-C.D. + E.R. It may be they visited the site? This might be the only connection to RTR, or I'm tired and need to go to bed.

Thanks to the fishies who were able to read the newspaper article-your eyes are younger than mine!

Edited on 11/15/2009 at 6:51:14 PM PST

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Nov 15, 09 7:03 PM
So for those fishies who don't have access to FB yet...

Am I allowed to post the screenshots to a public website and share the link? I don't think I can post the link here but can I give it to fishies who PM me?

Not sure of the BF rules here but it's not fair that some fishies can't see what we're looking at...

sunfish09
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,595 Posts

[Post New]by sunfish09 on Nov 15, 09 7:47 PM
what a lovely idea emmajayne
but don't do anything so you get into trouble

Go to: