gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Cute Knight - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 26, 10 12:19 AM
Just starting this topic while waiting for games to download. If I remember the previous times over the years that I've demo-ed this game, I'm guessing I'll be buying it today.

Re:Cute Knight - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Jul 26, 10 2:31 AM
I've played this a bunch of times on another site (i'm assuming it's the same). I could never get her very far. For 2.99 maybe i finally can.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jul 26, 10 6:55 AM
BarbaraFish wrote:I've played this a bunch of times on another site (i'm assuming it's the same). I could never get her very far. For 2.99 maybe i finally can.

I read in another thread there is a deluxe version elsewhere and
this is not the same. Might want to check which one you've been
playing.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

Cute Knight - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jul 26, 10 6:58 AM
gimmegames wrote:Just starting this topic while waiting for games to download. If I remember the previous times over the years that I've demo-ed this game, I'm guessing I'll be buying it today.

I see there are no reviews for this game. I hope you will come back
and do at least a short one. Especially: timed or not; skip for
any mini-games, graphics.

Thanks,
Joyce

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on Jul 26, 10 9:52 AM
I didn't like it: Graphs are very basic, animation pretty rough, gameplay slow. You have to choose what moth you are born in, which will determine your starting skills etc... I must have chosen a lousy month -despite I thought it was ok according to descriptions- as I mostly had bad days and the character seemed useless except for sweeping floors and pushing around boxes.
The game proceeds per day/week (for example you perform jobs or attend classes per week) and you have the chance of attending fairs etc if you keep an eye on the claendar (i.e. if you go to classes while the fair is up you miss the fair). It seems to take ages to actually improve in anything, it also takes lots of time to gain enough money to afford classes.
The characters I met so far were very uninteresting and quite annoying (especially two spoiled young ladies).
The minigames in the fairs were completely dumb: In one you were supposed to throw a pin with a ball, I also entered a joust, but in both you can do nothing but wait for the computer to tell you how you did (which in my case was always badly) as you have no control whatsoever on how you throw/fight.
The music is repetitive, not original and seems to be played with a Casio pocket keyboard like those around 1980's.
The trial hour went tediously by watching the red bars fill up slowly, but never enough as to actually know if you can upgrade skill or what.

I admit I was not in the best mood today, but surely this game did nothing to improve it. Maybe the game gets better after a while, but IMHO this is a bit like eating liver: If you don't enjoy the first bite -and you have not been prescribed by the doctor - I see now reason to try a second bite at all.

To cut a long story short: If I want to play something, I want to play, not wait for my computer to do 90% of the stuff. And if I want to watch someone sweeping floors (as that was the only way to actually recover HP without spending a fortune on a room) I can just put a mirror and look at myself when I do my daily choirs. At least then I will be actually doing something more than wasting time and will be saving myself the electronic tune.

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Jul 26, 10 10:09 AM
Thanks for the great review Gieyo! I couldn't agree with you more. I lasted 10 minutes in the demo and that was 9.9 minutes too long. I wouldn't be interested in this game even if it was free.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Jul 26, 10 11:32 AM
Good Review Gieyo. Additonal comments.

This game seems to be somewhat of a Virtual game.It progresses through days. You have to build strength, get a job etc. I stopped and deleted after 10 minutes. Like others said, 7 minutes too long.

Neither the graphics nor the music are that great. The directions for what to do are limited. The game is not timed because it's based on days you progress through the game.

Technical issue (maybe?). When playing, the game would ask for you to same it. It took me to my computer where I had to save it on my computer and not in the game. Length is questionable, but given the size of the program, I'm guessing that it might lack length and challenge.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jul 26, 10 2:57 PM
Thanks all, wasn't too interested to start with,
now know I have ZERO interest, and by
not bothering with this demo, I can maybe
squeeze in one or two more demos from the sale.

Burnt once, never, never again buy without a demo,
even at 2.99!

bellagoth
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by bellagoth on Jul 26, 10 3:38 PM
Going to add a positive review here, not that I disagree with what was previously said, but it deserves a positive review too. It's a good game, and unique. I played it several years ago but never got good at it, and am now having a better time of it. I bought Cute Knight Kingdom and played it until I'd exhausted everything interesting about it, and I suppose I learned the ins and outs of the game in this roundabout way. I'm going to buy it. It's not meant to be one of those good-graphics-get-immersed-in-the-storyline kind of games. The first hour will only tell you how the gameplay works, and isn't interesting at all, you're all right about that. What hooks you on this game is that the choices you make cause you to get tons of different endings to the story. Each game plays fast, so you don't have to invest days and days, and I think it's the attraction of trying to get certain endings that you want that keeps you playing. You can choose a faster speed so you don't have to spend much time watching her load boxes or dance or whatever, if you want. Events pop up that add to the story, depending on how you choose to spend time. It's true that you aren't playing the minigames, she is, but you have to build her skill in that area for her to do well. In other words, enter her in the contests for which she has higher skill if you hope to win anything. Tip: Spend the money on the room at the inn so you will recover all your stats in one night, and have more time to earn more money and build skills. Sleep at the church for free until you can afford the inn. Tip #2: You will also gain/lose sklls on the job, until you can afford college. Tip #3: The job moving boxes is a great way to build strength and stamina so you don't have to rest as often. You should build your strength anyway before trying to fight, and since you're not killing anybody yet, you can sleep at the church for free until you're strong enough to make money moving the boxes.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents. It's just not like any other game I can think of, so hard to compare.
Sante001 - The game saves in normal save slots in-game, not sure if you had a bad download or what, but it shouldn't do what happened for you.

Edited on 07/26/2010 at 4:34:31 PM PST

[Post New]by everyonesmomtwo on Jul 26, 10 7:07 PM
I purchased this game today on my Grandsons request (his 4). We played it 4 different times with 4 different birth months. I tried different activities each time and the ending was always the same. I love RPG's and this type of game but this one is an uninstall.
Big
Don't think I've ever had one this bad before, especially from BF.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 26, 10 8:57 PM
I passed this game up after playing the demo for awhile. My memory fleshed it out more than this reality. Someone mentioned there's a deluxe version on the web somewhere, so maybe that's the version I'd played before...

brooklynblonde
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by brooklynblonde on Jul 26, 10 10:24 PM
Thanks for all the great reviews, everyone-so helpful-coming into the forums is helping me save major bucks-and time.

emmychann
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by emmychann on Jul 27, 10 5:17 AM
everyonesmomtwo wrote:I purchased this game today on my Grandsons request (his 4). We played it 4 different times with 4 different birth months. I tried different activities each time and the ending was always the same. I love RPG's and this type of game but this one is an uninstall.
Big
Don't think I've ever had one this bad before, especially from BF.

how did you manage to get the same ending every time? there's like 60 different ones!!!

i can't imagine how you would do that unless you were just running out of health from the beginning and therefore getting a bad ending right away.

if you have already purchased the game try reading the walkthrough! it will make a BIG difference and you will have a lot more fun

http://www.gamezebo.com/download-games/cute-knight/walkthrough

Mamalita
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by Mamalita on Jul 30, 10 9:37 PM
I tried the walkthrough and got the false princess ending after three times as library worker - one of those was married to a scholar. I had made the mistake of skipping reading to the children, so I never met the nanny. The fourth time, I also took a lot of dancing lessons, meditated at the church enough to get the spell available there. I think I only went in the dungeons once.

BlueSkunk12
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by BlueSkunk12 on Sep 13, 10 9:01 PM
The graphics on this game are extremely retro. I think it was probably fairly good in 1990, but today they really stink. And birth-month seems to be flawed. It seems to have little affect on the Character.

But where I think this game really shines is that it's the first career game I've ever seen. Instead of building stats so you can win over that certain someone as in a Dating Sim, you build your stats so you can get that certain life-path/profession.

If you want to be a Librarian, you'll probably avoid the dungeon. If you want to be a Banker, you'll probably avoid the low-paying jobs like shelving books and cleaning windows.

For those who are lost, try looking for a walkthrough. It'll help you see what you need to do to get to where you want to go. But if you'd rather explore, it may be more fun to make different choices and find things out on your own.

Go to: