Astra02
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

New Community Possibilities: Maybe Tumblr?

[Post New]by Astra02 on Apr 16, 18 6:20 PM
All,

Tumblr might be a good home for the Midnight Castle community. Tumblr is a microblogging site, and it is currently the center for a lot of "fandoms"; that is, people who are fans of a certain property or person can share discussions, artwork, or whatever.

You sign up and make a page for yourself, and then you find and "friend" the pages of other people who share an interest with you. You find posts that are on that topic by using "tags". In our case, we would tag our posts as "Midnight Castle", and then we could see other posts on other people's pages that have that same tag.

Pros:

It's free, and I don't think it requires any personal info other than an e-mail address.

We could continue to talk to each other. You can comment on other people's posts, and they even show as a thread. PMs are also available.

We could continue the guides and social threads. Tumblr is a popular place to host the infamous "fanfiction" that people write about their favorite entertainment properties (like the old stories here). I think the same capabilities that allow people to store fanfiction can accommodate our guides and threads. This would be especially true if someone would maintain a hub page; somewhere we all would go that could host a lot of information.

We could FINALLY post pictures and links. No content restrictions either, although with no "official" moderators, we'd have to police ourselves.

I think it would be one of the easier options out there for our more senior and technology-averse members. I thought about suggesting Reddit, but it's such a mess to look at, and the downvoting/upvoting/karma system would be a nightmare to navigate. You can make the pages as fancy or simple as you like, I think.

You might use it as a jumping off point to pursue communities around other interests you may have. You can follow many communities on Tumblr. Be warned, though; the average user might be A LOT younger than you in some of them!

These are just some early thoughts. I've looked at a fair amount of Tumblr content, but I don't have a page myself. If anyone knows anyone on Tumblr (ask your teenage to mid-20s family and friends), feel free to add further feedback.

Astra

Edited on 04/16/2018 at 6:26:48 PM PST

Angelfish
Angelfish
1,060 Posts

Re:New Community Possibilities: Maybe Tumblr?

[Post New]by 1457051 on Apr 16, 18 6:30 PM
Sounds like a good option!

Katijay
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by Katijay on Apr 16, 18 6:47 PM
Might be a dumb question, but could it handle a group like ours....I have no idea how many people are on MC, but I am sure it is a lot and can it handle all platforms?...

Could we crash their website?

Edited on 04/16/2018 at 6:49:01 PM PST

Rahia
Catfish
Catfish
1,507 Posts

[Post New]by Rahia on Apr 16, 18 6:55 PM
Tumblr is actually pretty good. I used it a long time ago when I was in the Sims 2 community. There was one person who made a "main" blog site and sort of modded it so other people could post their creations, pictures, videos and other random gaming stuff. The only gripe I have with tumblr is when I couldn't access my old email account I could no longer access my main account page to change to my then newer email address. I haven't been on it in years so I don't know if things have changed but you used to could have a main page and then sub-pages for other content. It does get to be a bit of a jumble and the tagging system sometimes goes out of whack but it usually fixes itself pretty quickly.

Edited on 04/16/2018 at 6:56:22 PM PST

Sharp_Eye574363
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,845 Posts

[Post New]by Sharp_Eye574363 on Apr 16, 18 7:03 PM
Just to express how much I don't know about these things......I thought it was a dating web site?! And, not sure what tags are either!

Edited on 04/16/2018 at 7:03:26 PM PST

Rahia
Catfish
Catfish
1,507 Posts

[Post New]by Rahia on Apr 16, 18 7:14 PM
Nah Tumblr is geared more towards fan communities. I was a member of several but mostly friended people who played Sims 2 as I did. Tags are just things with the # symbol in front. Like.. #Midnight Castle or underneath that tag you would have sub tags that could be broken down. #MC Strategy Guide or things like that. Tags are what help you wade through all the things when you do a search for things on tumblr. The message system on there is pretty good, as well. I hope I explained that well enough.

Sharp_Eye574363
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,845 Posts

[Post New]by Sharp_Eye574363 on Apr 16, 18 7:18 PM
But, do we talk to each other in the same place.....like here in this thread? Or is everyone's entries separate to their own whatever you'd call it? I hope you get what I mean? Like I said, this is all gobbylygook to me. Yikes!!

Rahia
Catfish
Catfish
1,507 Posts

[Post New]by Rahia on Apr 16, 18 7:25 PM
There wouldn't be a typical "thread" like in a forum, no but people can comment on posts one after the other and keep a conversation flowing. It isn't hard to learn but scrolling through something to find what you want can be irritating.

Astra02
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Astra02 on Apr 16, 18 7:33 PM
All,

I just made a Tumblr page to play around with it. It's hard to know exactly how it will work without other people to "follow", but I'm seeing what I can do.

One thing I can say; it is in fact free, and requires no information other than an e-mail address. It also asks for your age, but that's just to make sure you meet the age requirements (13, which I think we all meet ). You could put in anything you wanted.

Astra

Angelfish
Angelfish
1,060 Posts

[Post New]by 1457051 on Apr 16, 18 7:55 PM
I really wish you could just 'check out' some of these sites to see how they work without have to register.
Keep us posted!

cindykat325
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by cindykat325 on Apr 16, 18 7:59 PM
I agree 1457051! I'm looking at Pond Friends at the moment but nervous about creating a userid..

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Apr 16, 18 8:02 PM
proboards seems the best answer ---- used it for a long time after CCC closed with never a problem, and ease of use.

Gen_1236
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Gen_1236 on Apr 16, 18 8:03 PM
I can create a new forum for you.

You don't have to pay to join, there are no ads and no spam.

Everyone in The Special Room knows me.

Very well.

I'm happy to do this for the die hard MC fans.

Cheers,

Jenifer

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Apr 16, 18 8:14 PM
Gen_1236 wrote:I can create a new forum for you.

You don't have to pay to join, there are no ads and no spam.

Everyone in The Special Room knows me.

Very well.

I'm happy to do this for the die hard MC fans.

Cheers,

Jenifer

Extremely generous offer!

Angelfish
Angelfish
1,060 Posts

[Post New]by 1457051 on Apr 16, 18 8:16 PM

when? where? How will we know?

smartsquid
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by smartsquid on Apr 16, 18 8:37 PM
If and when someone comes up with a new option (Tumblr, ProBoards whatever) - and is willing to take the time to set it up etc. (personally not tech savvy enough by a long shot) - can it be posted here and stickied? This obviously will have to happen before 30 April but will enable any of those players who are not currently reading the forum to remain in contact.

A very sad day - I so enjoy reading this even though I don't post often - and would really like to continue some of my reality friendships. And no, Facebook has enough issues to make me ever dream of going there.

Go to: