gripes
Clownfish
Clownfish
517 Posts

we can start our own free forum ,choose our rules and moderators and name our forum

[Post New]by gripes on Apr 16, 18 7:39 PM
https://www.proboards.com/create-free-forum

Simple, fast, easy to use, and fun... these are words commonly used to describe ProBoards' free forum hosting service. Whether you're new to message boards or an experienced moderator, we invite you to review our features and start your new ProBoards forum today.

Creating a new forum takes less than 30 seconds and immediately after that you can begin inviting your friends and colleagues to browse your new forum and start discussing topics! If you have questions or need help, our Support Forum community is the best in the business. Join the over 16 million monthly visitors on the Internet's largest, most enjoyed free forum hosting service.

ProBoards Features
•Free — What else needs to be said?
•Easy to use — Our free forums are easy to use, set up, moderate, administrate, and customize.
•No Size Limit — With ProBoards, you can create as many categories, boards, members, threads, topics and posts as you like. There's no limit. We like busy forums!
•Customizable — Create a unique and wondrous place with the best customization tools of any free forum.
•Mobile App — Android or iPhone; Now members can stay connected when they're on-the-go. We're the only online free forum service supported by our own mobile app!
•Simple Admin Tools — With our super simple admin tools, managing a forum has never been easier! You'll like the clean organization of our easy to use admin area with clear language and a simple layout.
•YouTube Embedding — Now members can share their favorite YouTube clips and embed them directly into discussion posts.
•Upload Files — Share files with other forum members (music, pictures, documents, etc); Upload attachments directly into topic posts.
•Best 24/7 support — We're here to help 24/7 with our Getting Started Guide, our detailed Help Guide, and the best support community on the Internet.
•Remotely Hosted — No software, no installation, no downloads. We'll take care of the technical stuff for you. Just sign up and go!
•Unlimited Bandwidth — ProBoards doesn't place any limits on bandwidth usage for your community.
•Scalable — Whether your group is a dozen of your closest friends or millions of people, ProBoards free forums will scale to accommodate any size community!
•Top Moderation Tools — As forum moderating can often be a delicate job, ProBoards provides effective tools for moderators to discuss issues and render decisions beyond the view of other forum members.
•Premium Features — We offer

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:we can start our own free forum ,choose our rules and moderators and name our forum

[Post New]by cbtx on Apr 16, 18 7:45 PM
When they closed the CCC, this was an excellent choice ---- but we need someone to be the host/moderator, right?

Astra02
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

Re:we can start our own free forum ,choose our rules and moderators and name our forum

[Post New]by Astra02 on Apr 16, 18 7:50 PM
When they closed the CCC, this was an excellent choice ---- but we need someone to be the host/moderator, right?

All,

Does anyone know what would be involved in that?

Astra

Gen_1236
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Gen_1236 on Apr 16, 18 8:05 PM

I already have a membership at Delphi forums.

Setting up a forum is easy.

Cheers,

Jenifer

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Apr 16, 18 8:06 PM
I will ask the former host about details.

Angelfish
Angelfish
1,060 Posts

[Post New]by 1457051 on Apr 16, 18 8:06 PM
This one sounds good!!

First someone has to create the forum (host)
Appoint mods to keep the nuisance away.

I actually have a forum for dogs. We have to pay for it. We started it exactly why this is being discussed now. MANY world wide users from a dog forum I used to belong to. It got sold, people freaked out and many started their own forums. We were one of them

Running a forum is not an easy job. Especially when you try to do it alone.
The reason why the **** posts here are here is because BFG has to keep their membership and forums open to all.
UNLESS you want to have someone to approve each and every request to join. And still, they sneak in..

I'm all for a regular forum. But like I said, it's not easy.

So.. DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's free and will give us all a chance to check it out!

Sharp_Eye574363
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,845 Posts

[Post New]by Sharp_Eye574363 on Apr 16, 18 8:15 PM
Gen_1236 wrote:

Cheers,

Jenifer

This would be awesome! And, since you already know how to do all this stuff, perhaps you'd be the host?

Ada

Rahia
Catfish
Catfish
1,507 Posts

[Post New]by Rahia on Apr 16, 18 8:15 PM
I would highly suggest this. However, I do feel for whoever admins this. It is a ton of work. I've moderated proboards before and it was pretty straight forward as I recall. (it's been over, well, we won't say how long.) Whatever the majority picks let the rest of us know. I may not post daily but I check the forums daily. So, I would need a new home.

charlieisr
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,323 Posts

[Post New]by charlieisr on Apr 16, 18 8:25 PM
WE ARE BEING EVICTED AND NEED A NEW HOME.

JUST MAKE IT EASY FOR THOSE OF US WHO KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS. ME I SOMETIMES HAVE TROUBLE TURNING ON MY NEWEST PC. SO IT MUST BE EASY, VERY EASY.

THIS PLACE HAS BEEN MY HOME SINCE 2014. HERE IS LIKE A SMALL TOWN. WHERE PEOPLE LOOK OUT FOR EACH OTHER. HELP THOSE WHO ASK. CRY WITH THOSE IN PAIN. AND GIVE MORE SUPPORT THEN YOU KNEW YOU NEEDED.

THIS FORUM IS FAMILY.

Astra02
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Astra02 on Apr 16, 18 8:29 PM
All,

I'd be willing to work on the initial setup, or do a bit of moderating. However, my work sometimes keeps me very busy, and I couldn't guarantee that I'd be available to admin if it involves more than an hour or so a day.

Can some of us share admin duties?

Astra

Katijay
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by Katijay on Apr 16, 18 8:38 PM
I have a question....if everything is free here how do they make their money or support their site however you want to put it? FB is free also and we know how they make their money!.....

[Post New]by MissCuddleFish on Apr 16, 18 8:38 PM
Pro Boards is a good option.

Was part of one for DM ... before it got canned. Was great.

Does need an administrator and some moderators. They would keep the site going and add stuff like ... animated smileys etc. They would organize special events.

Besides the individual threads ... they even had a 'Shout Box' that you could have conversations with members that were logged in.

It was a lot of fun !!!

Angelfish
Angelfish
1,060 Posts

[Post New]by 1457051 on Apr 16, 18 8:41 PM
Katijay wrote:I have a question....if everything is free here how do they make their money or support their site however you want to put it? FB is free also and we know how they make their money!.....

There are many players in many games that pay a membership fee.
People that buy items in games

[Post New]by MissCuddleFish on Apr 16, 18 8:45 PM
The one I was a part of was a small group. I think we paid a monthly fee to keep it add free.

We were a small group, so we took turns paying.

So I assume they make their money through advertisers.

so ...

If it's a large group and we don't mind advertissements ... I think it's free.

I think it's that ... but don't quote me.

smartsquid
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by smartsquid on Apr 16, 18 8:47 PM
MissCuddleFish wrote:Pro Boards is a good option.

Was part of one for DM ... before it got canned. Was great.

Does need an administrator and some moderators. They would keep the site going and add stuff like ... animated smileys etc. They would organize special events.

Besides the individual threads ... they even had a 'Shout Box' that you could have conversations with members that were logged in.

It was a lot of fun !!!

Completely agree with you there - was a lot of fun. And easy to navigate for those of us who may not be quite as tech savvy as they could be!

Gen_1236
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Gen_1236 on Apr 16, 18 8:58 PM
Sharp_Eye574363 wrote:
Gen_1236 wrote:

Cheers,

Jenifer

This would be awesome! And, since you already know how to do all this stuff, perhaps you'd be the host?

Ada

Happy to host.

It will take me a day or two to create it.

And we would need special permission from mods to create a link.

Cheers,

Jenifer

Angelfish
Angelfish
1,060 Posts

[Post New]by 1457051 on Apr 16, 18 9:05 PM
YAY Jenifer!!

I was wondering how people would know where to go. How they would get notified.

[Post New]by FreakieFaerie on Apr 16, 18 9:10 PM
I also have some forum experience as a global moderator which is just a step down from being a admin. I do have a lot of time on my hands so dont mind working with someone on getting something up. I was looking into free forums as well. I would have to brush up on basic forum coding but would be happy to help.

Might have to get in touch with Elephant Games about the logistics of having a fan based forum for Midnight Castle which is something someone would have to look into.

Its been many years but the forum I helped with was a gamers forum as well. But I do know that forum was vetted by the developers.

So if I can be of any help at all I would be happy to help

Astra02
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Astra02 on Apr 16, 18 9:11 PM
Jenifer,

If you were to create it, would it be located on Proboards or Delphi?

Astra

Gen_1236
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Gen_1236 on Apr 16, 18 9:11 PM
Right.

All you need to join is an email.

Whenever anyone posts in reply to you, you get an email telling you who, what when where and a clickable link straight to the post addressed to you.

You also have a "My Forums" page that is your main account centre.

There you can change your settings, send PMs and see all the forums you recently visited and who has replied to you, personally.

No more trawling through pages and pages of junk to find the thread you are interested in.

Continued...

Go to: