Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Modern Tales: Age of Invention Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Apr 17, 18 1:00 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 04/17/2018 at 7:34:20 AM PST

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Modern Tales: Age of Invention Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Apr 17, 18 7:34 AM
Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread for Modern Tales: Age of Invention Collector's Edition! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on this game here. There are just a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting in this thread.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Modern Tales: Age of Invention Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers and keep in mind our Forum Rules. Please do not review the reviews of others. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

3) Do not review developers. If you have feedback regarding the developer, feel free to PM any of the moderators so that we can pass this along.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. Also, remember that moderators will remove any content that isn’t a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators. We'll be happy to assist in any way we can.

bfgArinelle

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Modern Tales: Age of Invention Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by steve_san on Apr 17, 18 7:55 AM

Paris, 1900. You are Emily Patterson, daughter of Professor Ben Patterson a prominent inventor. There has been a recent series of suspicious "accidents," each involving inventors. (One person was shot so hard to see how that qualifies as an accident). While visiting your father and demonstrating his latest invention, a suspicious accident occurs and your father and his invention disappear. The prime suspect, Count d'Aubinac, is seen leaving via a balloon.

Gameplay is fairly straightforward and simple. Lots of things to find and insert, levers to pull, hoses to attach, cables to connect, locks to open etc. My only complaint was there seemed to be an inordinate amount of dialog. They could have easily accomplished the same with much less. One of the characters is Ferdinand Porsche, who has "ze fastest automobile" and "I'll be back" (ok, I added that).

Trial was a little short. Playing slowly I finished in 29 minutes. There are seven chapters listed in the guide. There is no dramatic end to the trial, in fact it was a little flat. Extras are locked until completing the game, but there are 30 collectible atomic symbols (this is announced in the first scene).

I enjoyed the trial, but hard to tell if it is worth the CE price as everything is locked. That is another reason it is nice to have the forums. so we can find out more about the games but it seems the "Age of Forums" has come to an end. Oh, well.

Edited for spelling

Edited on 04/17/2018 at 7:56:51 AM PST

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Apr 17, 18 8:11 AM
I found this game to be very fun to play.. beautiful and bright (nice to have a game that is not so dark that you cannot find anything). Off to buy.

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on Apr 17, 18 1:35 PM
I'm enjoying it! 7 chapters plus bonus! I don't find the game short at all! The lag between scenes is a little annoying though!

Edited on 04/18/2018 at 5:35:07 AM PST

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Apr 17, 18 3:38 PM
I have this from another site that I bought some time ago. I did not finish it yet, however. It was a SE edition with CE extras except for a BC and SG. In those extras it indicates you can replay puzzles and hos, however there were only 8 of each listed there, so I don't know if that's it or what. In those extras are also your screensavers, art and music, as well as cut scenes and the 30 collectible atomic symbols. I am sure all of this and hopefully more extras are included in this CE version. Had I known this was going to be released here, I would have surely waited, as I would rather have the CE of this, and will probably be purchasing it when there is a good sale....will there ever be one of those again? Seems like a long time.

I have just completed this demo and although it is extremely short, I was impressed with it enough to buy it before it being released here. The demo should have definitely been longer for everyone. The graphics are beautiful. It has a different feel to it as well as the story.

I also see where the Extras are locked in this demo....all of them. This is not considerate of potential buyers whatsoever, and is just a "buy before you try" tactic which I am totally against. It's manipulative. Everyone should be able to see what they are getting for the CE price. It is the courteous thing to do.

There are 30 collectible atomic symbols to gather and there is an indicator for this in the lower right hand portion of your screen by the hint. Don't know what you do with them, however. There is a transportable map and the hint is very helpful. Not overwhelmed with puzzles. Hos were interactive and appeared to be in the same amount as the puzzles. There is some going back and forth collecting of inventory. In the demo there was plenty of mechanical tasks to do, which I am not fond of. SG, what I could see of it seemed sufficient enough.

Gameplay flows nicely and in a relaxing manner without being overtaxed and stressed with over activity. What a relief~

It is very nice to have a game that the graphics are so defined and clear that you can see what you are doing and collecting without having to strain from poor lighting and clarity and cloudiness. It is refreshing....and I am looking forward to upgrading to the CE.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Apr 18, 18 7:00 AM
Based on Beta

I have been so wrapped up in forum closures, that I barely glanced at this game until this morning. This is just too strange.

Anyway ... I got a Beta invite for this one a couple months ago and was really hoping this would make it to us as a CE. I am very happy that it did!

I am always a big fan of games that look a little different and play a little different. And I have a huge place in my heart for the indie developers. This one fits the bill.

The colors were bright. The story was a fun kind of chase to find your father. Not the end of the world game monster. I like dialog so the amount and style I thought was kind of cute, myself. I think this game wasn't intended to be taken too seriously - just one to jump in and have fun with wherever the game takes you.

Sorry I can't give a full game rundown at this point, but I would encourage players to give this game a chance.

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Apr 18, 18 5:43 PM
The trial ended for me in 35 minutes. It has 7 chapters and bonus chapter. I thought the game was ok/liked it. I don't know the maker Orchid Games at all. Looks like the producer is Artifex Mundi. I just got the information from the credits.

It starts out in 1900 in Paris. You collect 30 Atom symbols. I have my eye on six different games before I would get this one, because I know the other makers.

Edited on 04/18/2018 at 5:44:42 PM PST

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Apr 20, 18 6:15 AM
Majestyx12 wrote:The trial ended for me in 35 minutes. It has 7 chapters and bonus chapter. I thought the game was ok/liked it. I don't know the maker Orchid Games at all. Looks like the producer is Artifex Mundi. I just got the information from the credits.

It starts out in 1900 in Paris. You collect 30 Atom symbols. I have my eye on six different games before I would get this one, because I know the other makers.

Thanks Majesty! Now I really want to get this game!!! Orchid made the Royal Trouble games and Graven, all which are a lot of fun. Now, I know why I liked this one

[Post New]by katnap123 on Apr 23, 18 10:52 PM
I absolutely loved this game. Please don't let a grumpy gramps bring down the rating because his free demo wasn't a full hour. Try it for yourself.

Majestyx12
Herring
Herring
350 Posts

[Post New]by Majestyx12 on Apr 30, 18 6:47 AM
Bartsister wrote:
Majestyx12 wrote:The trial ended for me in 35 minutes. It has 7 chapters and bonus chapter. I thought the game was ok/liked it. I don't know the maker Orchid Games at all. Looks like the producer is Artifex Mundi. I just got the information from the credits.

Thanks Majesty! Now I really want to get this game!!! Orchid made the Royal Trouble games and Graven, all which are a lot of fun. Now, I know why I liked this one

Your Welcome.

Go to: