bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Comments and Reviews for Al Emmo's Postcards from Anozira!

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 1, 10 12:05 AM
The Mayor of Anozira wants to breathe some new life into his city and he needs your help! Help Al Emmo and the locals bring tourists to Anozira! Explore the town and learn about the local stops and interesting areas as you use your Hidden Object skills to attract new people to the area and help local business survive.

What do you think of Al Emmo's Postcards from Anozira ?

We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Edited on 08/01/2010 at 10:02:38 AM PST

Re:Al Emmo's Postcards from Anozira

[Post New]by knickknackblue on Aug 1, 10 12:19 AM
Played for 10 minutes.....long enough to know I didn't want to play anymore. Cheap graphics and a cursor that jumped around the screen. Definitely not a buy for me.

Rose151
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

[Post New]by Rose151 on Aug 1, 10 12:23 AM
knickknackblue wrote:Played for 10 minutes.....long enough to know I didn't want to play anymore. Cheap graphics and a cursor that jumped around the screen. Definitely not a buy for me.

Thanks, saved me the time it would have taken to even download it!

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Aug 1, 10 12:24 AM
Booooooooooo! Hisssssssssssss! I was excited when I saw "Al Emmo", though I wondered why I hadn't heard about this game - assuming it to be a sequel to Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine. Boy, was I ever wrong. AND disappointed. LDM is a LFA, and this is a HOG. Humph. LDM is funny, clever, challenging, and always fresh. This one... well... sorry.

mommykim
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by mommykim on Aug 1, 10 12:36 AM
Be prepared to use a strong Magnifying glass to search for items. strange game some items were tinsy tiny and others were huge and the people looked like ants.

Vixen63
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by Vixen63 on Aug 1, 10 12:46 AM
Fuzzy graphics. Teensy tiny objects. Annoying music (I generally turn the music way down low.) Can't turn off the game cursor, which is like a child's extra large crayon.

Gave up on it after two scenes.

Blah!

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Aug 1, 10 12:48 AM
Another DUD. Definitely a no buy for me. Quit after playing 10 minutes into the Demo. Shouldn't complain since there have been some great games lately. I have three waiting to be purchased once they arrive at the regular price versus CEs. Will never spend $20 on a game. My patience is limitless when it comes to deals. A CE is no deal. Especially since I have just enough mulah to get me through the month for groceries. These are hard times for many of us. Especially those of us who are retired and living off what the GOVT provides. Prisoners, have it better than Senior Citizens. I could get on a rant but this isn't the forum. Just pissed off tonight so forgive me. Had to vent.

Edited on 08/01/2010 at 12:52:39 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 1, 10 1:20 AM
The graphics aren't bad but they are different. This is a straight old fashioned HOG with a strange sense of humor: the saloon has a drunk man face down and another tipsy gentleman smoking (in long johns, I think) but almost lighting his pants on fire.

The main characters are exagerated comedic "types" with voice characterizations to match - equal opportunity disrespecting everyone typified - an old man, a mexican woman, an american indian and an ausie barkeep.

And its pretty hard, too, with only 3 hints allowed per scene.

I'll keep this one in mind for a dry spell. Its amusing. {{??Anozira = Arizona???}}

I had no technical difficulties and the cursor behaved itself.

Edited on 08/01/2010 at 2:06:20 AM PST

SoozUSA
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by SoozUSA on Aug 1, 10 1:33 AM
Cursor behaved. Graphics looked okay - just not my style. I finished level one and the jig-saw puzzle. Not my type of HOG. Too much of a junkpile. Instructions mentioned a find the difference puzzle. No thanks.

mountfalcon
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by mountfalcon on Aug 1, 10 1:51 AM
It's a pity this showed up after a recent crop of good HOGs, as the faults of this one are emphasised. I also found the scenes uncomfortably fuzzy, and some of the objects unrecognizable - not that I had the least idea what an agave worm looks like anyway (strange choice of object anyway - what's wrong with butterflies, dragonflies, cockroaches etc?). I found the music actually helped, but two levels were enough. There were some nice touches - including the small animations, the general style and the clever use of hiding things by putting them right in front of you; a bit more work on the appearance and this might have succeeded - perhaps next time out.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Aug 1, 10 1:54 AM
I didn't like the graphics so it's a no buy for me. Chose to be Kevin the least unattractive character I thought - didn't realise he's Aussie, thought he was Irish and he sounded more Scouse than anything to me (not that that's a bad thing!). I actually thought it was a good game. Loads of opportunities to find skip buttons if you didn't want to play the mini-games. And they ranged from super-easy to rather difficult. If you don't mind the look of the game, it's probably very enjoyable.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Aug 1, 10 1:55 AM
This game is Big City Adventure on a smaller scale as you only have to collect 29 postcards so if you liked those games you should enjoy this.

For those that like racing the clock there is an option to play this game in timed mode.

C

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Aug 1, 10 1:59 AM
vicalana wrote:I didn't like the graphics so it's a no buy for me. Chose to be Kevin the least unattractive character I thought - didn't realise he's Aussie, thought he was Irish and he sounded more Scouse than anything to me (not that that's a bad thing!). I actually thought it was a good game. Loads of opportunities to find skip buttons if you didn't want to play the mini-games. And they ranged from super-easy to rather difficult. If you don't mind the look of the game, it's probably very enjoyable.

I thought he was from Liverpool as well, didn't pick up the merest hint of Irish. Anyway, used up my three hints on the first scene so won't be buying. It's the 1st of the month so I have a small shopping list already waiting!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 1, 10 3:39 AM
I just finished playing most of the game demo. I like this game. It has a relaxed mode option, which is what I played. I think this game is worth downloading and demo-ing, if the game video looks at all like something you'd like. This is not an intense dark creepy mystery game like some of you seem so hooked on - this is a light western game with somewhat cartoonish, but pleasantly colorful, drawn graphics.

I'm enjoying the voice acting - there's 5 characters to choose from, so you can choose what you hear that way. I tried a different character, and the list of hidden items to find changed, as well as the postcard text and the voice reading them. (That's as much as I can tell you, with only 45 minutes of gameplay under my belt...)

That being said, I do hope there will be an updated version of this game to make the cursor work better, most particularly to make the puzzles work better. Normally I like using the game cursors, but this game had me looking for a way to switch to the system/hardware cursor, and there's nothing listed in the Options to do that. The mechanics of putting together picture puzzles is so slick in so many games, that the awkwardness of it in this game is really glaring.

Aside from that caveat, this is going in my "may buy" bin.

Edited on 08/01/2010 at 3:44:03 AM PST

[Post New]by nessanana on Aug 1, 10 3:40 AM
Played as Rita but didn't even get as far as the first destination before the game crashed. Is it me or are there more and more errors in games at the moment. It seems that some games are being put on the market before they are properly tested. NOT what i have come to expect from Big Fish.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 1, 10 3:46 AM
As for game crashing, I think there's been some compatibility issues lately involving video drivers, adobe stuff, browsers, and whatnot, that have been difficult to rectify - just a hunch. I think we'd be upset if they quit releasing games every time there's any such issues that are being worked on, cuz that's pretty ongoing I think... Game developers don't control Windows Updates and video driver releases...

My own computer gave me adobe flash error messages on *some* games till I uninstalled Internet Explorer 8 and reverted to Internet Explorer 7 and installed adobe flash using that browser (not Firefox even). (Internet Explorer 8 always crashed my computer when it got anywhere near the adobe flash download site, so I had been using Firefox to view game videos). So that's why I'm thinking that the game developers are only a piece of a much bigger puzzle here.

Edited on 08/01/2010 at 3:56:29 AM PST

bettums
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by bettums on Aug 1, 10 3:53 AM
Despite all the negative comments I decided to try the game anyway. It took me three new profiles to get through the first hidden object game. I used up three hints each time to find the objects and so could not advance. It is similar to the Big City games and although I have them, they are not my favorites. The objects were super difficult to find and many were unrecognizable. I hate "sliders" and that's where I finally quit. In all fairness I would say it's me and not the game that stinks! I much prefer the darker, more sophisticated hogs and my old eyes get tired trying to find things that do not in the least look like the object I am seeking. Just wish we didn't have to wait so long for the CE. They are not worth $20, especially if you are on a tight budget.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Aug 1, 10 4:17 AM
okay for a beginner I guess except for the limited hints. Not much to it. 2nd rate basic HOG. Just a "cookie cutter" game. Poorly thought out and developed in a hurry to generate whatever income it can..........keep it.
Dr.good

ajwiggin
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by ajwiggin on Aug 1, 10 4:46 AM
Most items too small to fine without using hints. Straight forward HOG no interaction at all. Another dud.

Freter
Herring
Herring
316 Posts

[Post New]by Freter on Aug 1, 10 5:20 AM
Judging by most of the posts, I will be skipping this one.

Go to: