gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 1, 10 12:43 AM
Post 'em if ya got 'em.

BlueSkunk12
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by BlueSkunk12 on Aug 1, 10 1:02 AM
Is this another of those Hidden Object games? I'd like to buy one of these $2.99 games, but I REALLY hate Hidden Object games!

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by Slite on Aug 1, 10 1:10 AM
Yeah, it would be cool if there was some way you could download the game and just play it for a little while, just sample it ya know? Then you could get an idea what kind of game it is and if you like it or not. I wish Big Fish would start letting us do something like that.

Okay, I gotta get back to counting my oreos and make sure Nabisko didn't rip me off again.

gilly85
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by gilly85 on Aug 1, 10 1:30 AM
Slite wrote:Yeah, it would be cool if there was some way you could download the game and just play it for a little while, just sample it ya know? Then you could get an idea what kind of game it is and if you like it or not. I wish Big Fish would start letting us do something like that.

Hi Slite - you just go to your account page, click on the title of the game and that takes you to the game page. From here you can click 'Try it' and download the one hour demo, just as I am doing now. The video tells me it looks great so before I buy I'll try....... Bloop that sound tells me it's done. Then I go to the walkthrough to see how long the game is as I like loooooong games,but more importantly I check the opinion of all the other fishies - perhaps the most reliable information ever available.
Happy Gaming

Edited on 08/01/2010 at 1:35:31 AM PST

gilly85
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by gilly85 on Aug 1, 10 1:44 AM
Good morning gimmegames,
well, that was short and sweet - I was hoping to give you a nice review but all I got in the demo was a fuzzy screen which tells me my video card can't cope I really need a new machine, maybe next year

JerryInWales
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by JerryInWales on Aug 1, 10 2:01 AM
gilly85 wrote:
Slite wrote:Yeah, it would be cool if there was some way you could download the game and just play it for a little while, just sample it ya know? Then you could get an idea what kind of game it is and if you like it or not. I wish Big Fish would start letting us do something like that.

Hi Slite - you just go to your account page, click on the title of the game and that takes you to the game page. From here you can click 'Try it' and download the one hour demo, just as I am doing now. The video tells me it looks great so before I buy I'll try....... Bloop that sound tells me it's done. Then I go to the walkthrough to see how long the game is as I like loooooong games,but more importantly I check the opinion of all the other fishies - perhaps the most reliable information ever available.
Happy Gaming

I think Slite was teasing.

Maybe Blue Skunk has only a slow line.

Edited on 08/01/2010 at 2:02:48 AM PST

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Aug 1, 10 2:18 AM
Well, on another subject... can anyone recommend this game? How long is it? Is easy, hard? Any comments on the actual game?

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 1, 10 2:28 AM
Good morning all .

I just finished playing the demo, and I'll be buying this one. I did not get actually stuck during the demo. It crashed on me once, but I reckon my computer was due for a reboot anyway.

I actually enjoyed the atmosphere and the orchestral violin music (- must have been a good fit with my computer's sound driver - didn't sound like yowling cats ). Good thing I liked the music, cuz if there were any ambient sounds, I didn't notice them. I found the scene graphics to be nice and clear.

I had some trouble figuring out some of the puzzles, just because some of them were a bit off from the norm. Like in one (the first one?), you're shown silhouettes (thank you spell checker lol) of items to find, but what you really need to find are the *words* for those items. It was confusing because there was file info on the left side and a picture of the victim on the right side of the screen - and all of the required items were in the text side.

That was one example, and several other puzzles were a bit off from the norm as well. Not necessarily a bad thing, as long as I'm able to figure it out without having to leave the game to hunt for an answer very often. Some areas like that were skippable and some were not.

Edited on 08/01/2010 at 2:32:51 AM PST

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on Aug 1, 10 5:39 AM
I really thought I would like this game, but instead I found it to be very frustrating.
I played casual mode which should of been relaxing, it was not.

Pros: I like the story line, music, pictures

Cons: tiny objects! I had to use hints to find them or just click around.
The games help during causal mode was to make you use up your hints during two scenes and on the easiest objects (meaning the larger ones)
I like finding the objects using pictures, but once again too small and from what I can see that is the only way you find ****'s in the game.

Overall, after 30mins I deleted the game so this is a no buy for me.

Maybe someone could tell me if the other modes where less frustrating, becasue I did not find the casual mode to be linear or relaxing just annoying.

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Aug 1, 10 6:00 AM
Yeah, sorry, just having a laugh -- JerryinWales you pegged it. Apologies to gilly85, but that was really so sweet you writing out the directions neat and precise. Hats off to you.

And BlueSkunk you do have my sympathy in that you can't trust the game description for what kind of game it will be. And maybe you do have a slow connection -- I shouldn't assume.

And -- full disclosure -- I don't ever actually count my oreos.

Thanks.

ilikegame
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by ilikegame on Aug 1, 10 8:11 AM
I tried the demo for 5 minutes, and then the screen froze at the first place of the map. I have to use task manager to get out of the game!

Actually, I like the graphic and the music. However, I won't buy a game which froze after 5 min!

wvsandy
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by wvsandy on Aug 1, 10 9:10 AM
Played this for about 30 minutes of the demo, and decided it's just not for me. Nothing exciting about it. It is, well, pretty elementary.

The hidden objects were pretty small, but it was the boring game play that turned me off. So no, it's not for me, not even as a DD.

ilikegame wrote:I tried the demo for 5 minutes, and then the screen froze at the first place of the map. I have to use task manager to get out of the game!

Actually, I like the graphic and the music. However, I won't buy a game which froze after 5 min!

Actually, and it took me a little while to figure this out, the game makes you follow the tutorial. You have to click on what it's trying to teach you or it appreas to be locked up. That was frustrating for me too because i really didn't need that much of a tutorial, but had no choice but to follow it.

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed. I went from Seahorse to Starfish with this post!

Edited on 08/01/2010 at 3:17:44 PM PST

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 1, 10 12:28 PM
I bought the game and have played it for a few hours now. I find the puzzles challenging, but often skippable. Haven't gotten entirely stuck yet or walking in circles - hints have been adequate so far. Feeling a bit dazed and confused, but don't know if the game is challenging in some respects, or just confusing lol.

My feeling is that this is a $3 game. That is, considering what you can buy for $7 on this site, $3 is a reasonable price for this game.

buckeyelibra
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by buckeyelibra on Aug 1, 10 12:44 PM
objects too small, scenes are too dark! thought the game froze but clicked the end of the pointer and found a hidden object. only played 30 mins. and quit. not a game for me even as a DD!

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Aug 1, 10 1:18 PM
Too glitchy. I wasted 45 minutes trying to get the game to work. Finally got to the second witness, right after her it crashed again. I'm running Windows 7 with an updated card, so don't know what the problem is. Looks like it might be fun, but I don't want to learn how to "fix" every little glitch when there are so many great games out there.

crofootski
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by crofootski on Aug 1, 10 2:16 PM
The type of game appears in the string of links at the top of the white part of the screen on the main page for every game. For this game it looks like this:

PC Downloads > Hidden Object Games > Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet

The 2nd link says what kind of game it is.

Edited on 08/01/2010 at 2:17:57 PM PST

bever55
Clownfish
Clownfish
604 Posts

[Post New]by bever55 on Aug 1, 10 2:41 PM
I own all the Sherlock Holmes games and while this one isnt a favorite for $2.99 I dont see how you can go wrong. Its a point and click hog/adventure if I remember right and while some objects are small and sometimes you seem to go round in circles it does make you think. If I didn't already own I would certainly buy it at this price.

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Aug 1, 10 2:53 PM
Terrible game, even at $2.99. Don't waste your money. Tried the demo, and am already stuck! I love **** games, but not this one! The HOs are unbelievably small, almost like Alice in Wonderland!

Gemcats
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Gemcats on Aug 1, 10 3:52 PM
I agree with Gailweis on this one! Awful game! I was so bored I was falling asleep. The items you look for are small and half the time you can't even tell what it is suppose to be. If you play on the first two levels,not only do you have to go where the game wants you to, you also have to pick up things in the order it wants you to or the game will just freeze! Don't waste your 2.99.

Ratatouille
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Ratatouille on Aug 1, 10 9:09 PM
Just tried the game for 45 minutes and I didn't have any problems (I have Windows 7 64 bit). I find the gameplay rather interesting, despite the sometimes confusing interface, so I think I will buy it at this price.

Go to: