Post only good reviews for Al Emmo's Postcards from Anozira here

[Post New]by olderplayer on Aug 1, 10 12:02 PM
Hey guys! Give this game a chance. First screen is difficult but they get better further into the game. Also, there are at least 3 tokens for hints on each level and if you do not use all of them, they carry over to the next level. There are hints for the puzzles (although they are pretty easy) and skip tokens also that you earn.
Only objection I have is size of items. A grape and a cow in one sceen are same size but once you get used to this, it is OK.

Edited on 08/01/2010 at 1:54:19 PM PST

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

Re:Post only good reviews for Al Emmo's Postcards from Anozira here

[Post New]by ecblisa on Aug 1, 10 12:29 PM
As another "older player," I like this game a lot. There is a mini-game after every location, and they are varied and fun. The HOG scenes are difficult but not anywhere near some of the "vague on vague" games we've seen recently. The folksy postcards (apparently they differ depending on which character you choose at the beginning) are actually informative, and sometimes funny.

If you are someone like me who is too old to enjoy difficult interactive puzzle games any more (I refuse to look at any game that offers a strategy guide), this one might be for you. The HOG scenes are tricky more than nasty. I have yet to find more than one or two hidden objects that I would never have found without a hint.

My own hint: Hints are the same for mini-games as for HOG scenes. If you need them for the HOG scenes, don't use them up on the mini-games, use a "skip" instead.

Masanders
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by Masanders on Aug 1, 10 1:08 PM
I liked the game and played for the full hour. I got around 8 postcards during that time, so the game will probably take more than 3 hours to play. I didn't find any part of the game all that difficult. I use these HOG games to keep my mind sharp. Is "compass" a sailor's tool or a draftsman's? Is "bat" an animal or a sports item?
The mini games were challenging and I almost used a Skip on one of the rotating rings puzzles, but eventually (accidentally, actually ) got it figured out. The background music was soothing and I didn't turn it off. (I hardly ever do.)

I probably won't buy this game unless it shows up as a DD for $2.99, but it was fun to play. As ecblisa points out, the postcards differ depending on which character you choose to play as, so there is replay value.

All in all, not a bad game. Just not one that I can afford to pay the full price for this month.

[Post New]by olderplayer on Aug 1, 10 1:59 PM
There is also good replay value as the objects you need to find change each time you change users.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Aug 1, 10 2:34 PM
I'm an old western fan, so this feels right at home, as did Golden Trails.
In my opinion it's not as well-done as Golden Trails as it does have some small objects. But I like it enough to buy it. On my laptop the custom cursor is just fine and the graphics are nice and bright. The hint system is generous, much like Big City Adventures, tokens aplenty. The minigames can be skipped.
There are 29 postcards to collect. I got 6 of them in the trial hour, so this looks like maybe a 3-1/2 hour game for me. I played on relaxed but I'll try it timed with a different character later on.
The music is western old-style theme music, pleasant for me. The options to play as different characters and to get different objects each time is very nice indeed.
It's definitely a straight HOG which I sometimes prefer when I want to take it easy. Things are in pretty much plain sight, though very cleverly hidden some times. That last "unfindable" item on each screen produced the customary moans and groans when the hint reveals it. There it was all along.

Edited on 08/01/2010 at 3:16:57 PM PST

donnamil
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by donnamil on Aug 1, 10 7:01 PM
After reading the other thread on all the reviews, I almost didn't download the trial, but I did and I am really glad. Even though I'm not as visually acute as I used to be, I could find almost all the objects without hints. I will admit that this is NOT a premium graphics game, but you can count me among those who don't favor the games with the overly-involved storyline and gameplay. I hate games where you have to go back and forth a dozen times gathering things that you didn't think you were going to need. Give me a straight forward HOG and this game is that.

People complained about the sounds and voices. Neither bothered me in the least. I often use the skip button anyway. I want to play and the backstory doesn't really interest me. The music wasn't grating and it faded into the background. I can live with the cursor the way it is.

All in all, if you're happy with the Big City Adventure-type games, you should give this one a try. If you like the mystery-solving type of HOG, this one probably isn't for you. I bought it.

One other thing. I wonder what the median age for Big Fish users is? Most of us on this thread seem to be closer to Social Security than to high school graduation.

Edited on 08/01/2010 at 7:08:36 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 2, 10 2:13 AM
ecblisa wrote:(I refuse to look at any game that offers a strategy guide),

Just because a Strategy Guide is being offered (I think they do it just to make some extra money, and it's just another name for 'walkthrough' and those are given for almost every game), doesn't mean the game will be too difficult to play without it. I never use a strategy guide and seldom a walkthrough (and only for certain puzzles). So I think you will be losing out on a lot of great games if you don't check them out as well.

I rather like the graphics of this game, and it is a nice relaxing and simple game to play - alas, it's not for me.

Oh... and "Anozira" is of course an anagram for "Arizona". LOL

Edited on 08/03/2010 at 12:20:00 AM PST

annatar
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
425 Posts

[Post New]by annatar on Aug 2, 10 7:05 AM
I found this game quite entertaining, and the different views (of the same places) of the various characters were really amusing. Voices were fun and cool. (As I'm not native English speaking, any inaccuracies of their accents weren't noticeable to me anyway... ) The items were clear for me, not too small and not fuzzy, and I had plenty of hints. No penalty for wrong clicks!!!

I would have loved to play the whole trial hour - but the game kept crashing at irregular intervals, giving me a hard time. After every crash I started it again with another character to cover as much ground as I could before the next crash. That's how much I enjoyed playing the game.

I'll try to start it up a couple of more times, to cover all the characters, and hope that I can make it further than the first postcard before it crashes. (For some of the characters, I made it all the way to the third card before crashing.)

If this game came out as a DD I'd love to buy it .... if it would only stop crashing on me...

Bottom line: Amusing and cute little game. Great replay value. Three of five.

Edited on 08/02/2010 at 7:08:00 AM PST

deijiara
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by deijiara on Aug 2, 10 1:11 PM
donnamil wrote:
One other thing. I wonder what the median age for Big Fish users is? Most of us on this thread seem to be closer to Social Security than to high school graduation.

Well I'm out of high school by about a decade, but past that, I classify myself only as "experienced".

[Post New]by HimalayaStudios on Aug 2, 10 9:14 PM
Hi, annatar,

I'm Chris, one of the developers of Postcards from Anozira.

Sorry to hear about those crashes you've been experiencing. When the crash error window appears, you should be able to press CTRL+C to copy its text to the clipboard, and then press CTRL+V to paste the text here on the forum.

If I knew the exact error message you're getting (including any numbers it mentions) then maybe we can find a solution for this, or otherwise have BigFish's technical support suggest a work-around.

Next time the game crashes, Is there any chance you could copy and paste the exact error message(s) you're receiving in the other "technical issues here only" thread on this board?

Thanks,

Chris

PS. Glad to hear you guys are enjoying the game!

annatar
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
425 Posts

[Post New]by annatar on Aug 3, 10 2:07 PM
Hi Chris,

I'm very pleasantly surprised to see one of the developers posting here - listening to people's views and problems, and wishing to adjust their product to the players' wishes. That proves for quality, and makes me consider looking up the other products you have in your catalogue too.

Concerning my problem with the frequent crashes, I'll write you a more detailed description in the "technical problems" thread.

Thanks for looking in on us!

Edited on 08/03/2010 at 2:10:43 PM PST

JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by JanG7 on Aug 3, 10 7:52 PM
I just played 43 minutes of the demo and have decided to buy.

The developers did a pretty good job for their first HOG. I hope they don't get discourage by all the bad reviews, because I like this game and hope they have many more to come.

I noticed most of the bad reviews only gave the game about 10 minutes to decide. I always try to play out the whole demo before deciding not to buy. If I like a game, I'll buy before the time limit is up.

Oh yeah, I'm also one of the older generation and I have a hard time distinguishing colors. I'm able to find almost all the items.

[Post New]by tippydog on Aug 12, 10 11:06 AM
Loved the game and purchased it!! Regarding median age: I'm 64 years old and enjoy all types of games (trying to keep my mind active) especially HOGS. Sometimes I'm up half the night--I keep saying "just one more" then I'll go to bed.

Go to: