New update REQUIRES my phone contacts?

[Post New]by coffeebreaker on Apr 28, 18 1:07 PM
I have been with Gummy Drop for 3 years now. I play ONLY on my Galaxy Tab 4. Updates have always been fine. Now, all of a sudden, this current update, demands I give them my phone contacts and access to my cell phone location etc. If I choose "skip", it won't download the update and won't let me play the game at all.

I play only on my tablet, I don't even have my tablet synced with my cell phone. But even so... I don't see why a game needs to have my contact information...or are they intending to send spam to my contacts? I don't see why they need access to my cell phone at all. But.. if I don't agree... I can no longer play Gummy Drop. I am on level 400 something. I play it every night like clock work. yes, I can find another one, but come on.. surely there is a way to play the game without giving them all my personal information. I have been for years!
Anyone know of a way around this or is it good bye to Gummy Drop, because I am NOT giving them this personal information!
Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

Re:New update REQUIRES my phone contacts?

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 28, 18 1:40 PM
WOW that is awful and really scary

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Apr 28, 18 1:41 PM
Hello coffeebreaker,

It sounds like the latest update won't allow Gummy Drop! to be played unless personal information is shared. I absolutely understand hesitating to allow the app to view your contacts, so I'll definitely provide some advice.

Permissions can be turned off for individual apps in the Settings apps. If you're comfortable doing so, I'd recommend allowing your contacts to be shared so the update can download. Then you can go to the Settings app and turn off those permissions for Gummy Drop!. I want to assure you that Big Fish Games won't spam you or your contacts or use your location.

If you'd prefer not to allow Gummy Drop! those permissions, please contact our Gummy Drop! Support Team with a screenshot of the request you receive.

To take a screenshot, please follow the directions below:

1. Press and hold the power button and the volume down button at the same time. You'll see an animation on your screen, indicating that the screenshot was taken.
2. The screenshot will be saved to your Gallery.
3. You can now attach the screenshot to your email.

See the help article below for instructions about attaching a file to your email:

Attach a file to my email

Thanks for your patience! Have a lovely weekend.

bfgBeruna

mdpetdoc
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,489 Posts

[Post New]by mdpetdoc on Apr 28, 18 2:26 PM
Changing the permissions after you've shared your contacts is closing the barn door after the horse has escaped. Your contacts will have been uploaded before the game finished downloading. Having said that, if you use Facebook from your phone, your contacts have already been shared far and wide.

I hope this is some type of glitch and not a change in the way games are downloaded and accessed.

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 28, 18 2:43 PM

There seems to be a lot of changes going on all of a sudden
Don't let your horse graze in the Facebook pasture

[Post New]by coffeebreaker on Apr 28, 18 6:05 PM
mdpetdoc wrote:Changing the permissions after you've shared your contacts is closing the barn door after the horse has escaped. Your contacts will have been uploaded before the game finished downloading. Having said that, if you use Facebook from your phone, your contacts have already been shared far and wide.

I hope this is some type of glitch and not a change in the way games are downloaded and accessed.

I don't do facebook on the tablet either. Are you saying there is no way around this? I don't want to give and then "take back" cause as said.. once they have them, they don't care if I block or not.. they have what they want!

Is there a way you know of that I can still play the game since it won't let me play until I update? I open the game and get the "update" screen, and then it goes to "update" in Google Play store, and if I hit "update" that is when it asks for my contacts and if I don't click "allow"... I can't play the game. After 3 years of enjoying the game, I'd hate to have to delete it but, they give me no choice!!!

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Apr 28, 18 6:15 PM
Hello coffeebreaker,

Please allow me to apologize. I misunderstood the original inquiry and wrote about Facebook when it wasn't relevant to our discussion. I'm sorry for any confusion I caused.

The troubleshooting tools available to the Moderation Team are limited. To ensure you're able to play the game without sharing sensitive information, please contact our Gummy Drop! Support Team. So they can provide the best help possible, please provide a screenshot of the request the app makes to access your contacts.

I've included help articles with instructions about taking and sending screenshots below:

Taking a screenshot
Attach a file to my email

Thank you for your patience. The Support Team will help you as quickly as possible.

bfgBeruna

bowiecowgirl
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by bowiecowgirl on Apr 28, 18 6:20 PM
Bad deal. Is everyone having this "intrusion"? I have not gotten the Kyoto update yet but it sounds like I don't want to. I would love to know if coffeebreaker is alone in this problem or if it is universal. Thanks.

[Post New]by coffeebreaker on Apr 28, 18 7:50 PM
I did contact Support and attached a pic of the 2 pop up messages I get when I try to open the game. I have not yet gotten an answer. It has been 3 days now that I have not been able to play the game. I have [Removed by Moderator] games, and none of them have asked for anything.. they just say click to "update" and I do and they do and no questions asked. It is just on Gummy Drop. Will let you guys know when I hear anything! THanks for all your helps!

Edited on 04/29/2018 at 10:08:47 AM PST

all_done
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by all_done on Apr 28, 18 8:18 PM
I did the update and did not get asked for any info. I use an iPad though. Could this be a requirement of Google and not Gummy Drop itself?

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 28, 18 9:04 PM
I was wondering too if it had something to do with Google, if that is the case then people really need to be on guard if they were not already.

[Post New]by coffeebreaker on Apr 29, 18 9:42 AM
Well, now that you mention it.. .maybe it is Google. I go through the Google Play Store to get it and that is where the update is. However, none of the other games I play have asked this.
If it is Google, do you know if I still have to give the info? I'll uninstall the game before I'll give personal info out to anyone..at least knowingly give it out.

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 29, 18 10:00 AM
I don't have much trust in any of those sites these days but it sounds like it is probably a glitch. I have a few apps on my phone, one of them that you mentioned, and it recently had a update that came with a new privacy policy that said they would be tracking game preference's, what else they are trying to track or obtain I don't know, but the thought of any kind of intrusion really freaks me out and makes me want to go completely off the grid. Since this is that last day of communication on the forum we will probably never know what happened to you.

Go to: