bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Brunhilda and the Dark Crystal

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 4, 10 12:44 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Brunhilda and the Dark Crystal? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Brunhilda and the Dark Crystal

[Post New]by knickknackblue on Aug 4, 10 12:53 AM
OH NO!!!!2 days in a row with games that have sparkly cursors. At least you can turn this on off. Standard HOG, nothing special. Not a buy for me.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 4, 10 12:58 AM
I bought this a month ago from the developer for $10. Only sorry only that it ended. I'm already looking forward to the sequel!

This adventure has more scenes and interesting things going on in just the first 2 chapters than most HOGs have in the total game.

The story is not dark and the "demon" is more of a helpful companion (with an attitude). His voice is a little like a Joe Pesci imitation.

This is exactly what I'm looking for in a hidden object game: a story. Others may just want to "seek and find" and find a story a nuisance. For me, the story is the reason for seeking items that further the story or mini-games that are integral to the story.

The game mechanics are easy to learn, the voice acting was VERY good, the music was just right and the artwork was lovely and detailed.

The items to find were sometimes small but I used the magnifier liberally. And the hints were very quick to re-charge.

Edited on 08/04/2010 at 1:00:13 AM PST

Whitenurse
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Whitenurse on Aug 4, 10 1:09 AM
Well, I brought it...the little demon who thinks he is a fairy is a real hoot and I ran out of time on the demo I was having so much fun. Thanks BF this is a goodie

Kaz
Downunder Oz

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Aug 4, 10 1:31 AM
An adventure with dragons is a must buy for me but thank goodness for the built in magnifying glass because although I managed to find the majority of the requested small objects without it I had to use it for some and I also used one hint in the half an hour that I played.

Sorry no idea what the music was like as DH was listening to the news (and so were the neighbours ) so I couldn't have the sound on.

There are 2 gameplay modes, casual and adventure , so that should suit most people's tastes.

C

bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Aug 4, 10 1:33 AM
All the fishies have been raving about it for weeks in CCC so I got it first thing this morning

I'm looking forward to a new Jen/Scree style partnership

AnnieO_2424mad
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by AnnieO_2424mad on Aug 4, 10 1:37 AM
This game is very high on my "to-buy list." I played 44 minutes of the demo just to complete the first chapter - and since there are 10 chapters - even if the difficulty didn't increase requiring more time per chapter - that translates to several hours of gameplay.

Only some of the items are tiny, but there's a built-in magnifying glass and the hint system recharges very quickly.

Overall, a very fun game to play.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Aug 4, 10 1:46 AM
jkuci wrote:I bought this a month ago from the developer for $10. Only sorry only that it ended. I'm already looking forward to the sequel!

This adventure has more scenes and interesting things going on in just the first 2 chapters than most HOGs have in the total game.

The story is not dark and the "demon" is more of a helpful companion (with an attitude). His voice is a little like a Joe Pesci imitation.

This is exactly what I'm looking for in a hidden object game: a story. Others may just want to "seek and find" and find a story a nuisance. For me, the story is the reason for seeking items that further the story or mini-games that are integral to the story.

The game mechanics are easy to learn, the voice acting was VERY good, the music was just right and the artwork was lovely and detailed.

The items to find were sometimes small but I used the magnifier liberally. And the hints were very quick to re-charge.

Great review, I love a good story so looks like a must buy for me with my coupon codes from last months sale.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Aug 4, 10 2:18 AM
Probably premature for me to post comments because I haven't played it yet. But based on reviews and comments on another site I've been so anxious for it to be on BF. Evidently the beta testers there worked and reworked with the devs to bring the game up to near perfection, graphics details, gameplay, writing, and was a closed testing. They were thrilled how the dev worked with them and made changes from feedback. Same devs as M3 smash Ancient Quest of Saqqarah, top quality graphics.

Also noted it being lighthearted fun, witty and funny to some. We all have different types of sense of humor, what is hilarious to one may be stupid to others. A must to leave sound on for dialogue, story, voice over asides to catch the humor.

So I am off now to see if it is my style, always hungry for fun games and regardless, I am a good graphics freak. As long as a game is original and creativity shows and good to look at, I easily tolerate most negs. Glad to hear it has a mag glass, one of my problems on small screen laptop, but I guess that's what hints are for. Hope I'm not disappointed waiting to get it at BF and yippee, got 2 free credits to match up with a new games. I just put this one up top of my list, plenty more if it's not for me.

I'll try to remember to be back one way or another, but one like this I think each should check it out to see if it "fits".

Edited on 08/04/2010 at 2:23:20 AM PST

SoozUSA
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by SoozUSA on Aug 4, 10 3:13 AM
Sorry, but I don't do magnifiers. Story seems fun, though.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Aug 4, 10 3:33 AM
You just right click and the magnifier comes on, or click bottom right icon. I happened to click it on before the tutorial got to that, so the first scene with some small objects was easier, just needed one hint.

Options for screen are full, and when I saw "Panorama" I was so happy for widescreen laptop. But didn't work on my W7 15.6 widescreen, still the bars on each side to fill screen. I hope someone fixes the driver or whatever to put Stretch back in screen settings. Some games do fill the whole screen, but only 3 so far on this Win7 with AMD graphics. Sorry for the news if you have same bars, who knows where Panorama works, not on my new Toshiba.

Outside of that issue...fun game so far. Not a straight HOG at all, has adventure type back and forth, but easy on relaxed, can't get lost going back and forth and rooms are identified. Was enjoying first journey into the rat hole, then MS decided to bust in for an update, had to stop and restart to install....OUTSIDE OF THAT I like the game so far, cartoon characters looks like a decent family games but won't say good for kids and exclude ME It's a keeper.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Aug 4, 10 3:38 AM
I must admit, I got this from the developer's site a while back and played through its entirety. Let's just say--hours of enjoyment from this game. I had already played Codeminion's "Saqarrah" (sp?) and trusted that maker's name. This one was no disappointment. The animation and character interactions are perfect, the voice-acting is great, and the graphics are just--well--enjoyable. Hidden object scenes are a bit tough though (some are darkly disguised), but the "Hint Demon" is very helpful (try to get over his "attitude--he'll grow on you). It's a pretty long game (at least by my standards). Try the demo--think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Four stars.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Aug 4, 10 3:46 AM
I really like this game! I'm a big fan of the hand drawn/ cartoon style graphics and this is done very well. It has a humorous story line, the objectives are explained clearly,the controls are easy to use.......all in all I think it is very well designed and executed. I haven't found any bugs in it yet. Some of the objects are a little too small but it's not so bad that it's a nuisance ( and I'm using 62 yr. old eyes ) so if I can find 'em, you young whipper snappers can also! It's a great game, I received 3 credits this morning so I'm off to buy this one. Good job BFG. 5 x
thanks, Dr.good

mountfalcon
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by mountfalcon on Aug 4, 10 3:54 AM
Looks good, sounds awful (but can be turned off); don't especially like small objects so often, even with a magnifier - why not just use bigger objects. I think I can live without it, preferring substance over style to the other way about.

grannyann_
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by grannyann_ on Aug 4, 10 4:01 AM
I, too bought it from the developer. The demon is a real hoot, I've poked around on him with my cursor just to see what he says. I don't usually leave sound on but did for this game. Really enjoyed the game.

[Post New]by maggieannie43 on Aug 4, 10 4:17 AM
Well this is game is not for me the Demon talking all the time gave me a headache, cannot we be allowed find our own way around without him chipping in; anyone thinking about buying try it first. It is the most annoying game I have come across in a long time hopefully tomorrows game will be better

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Aug 4, 10 4:24 AM
I beta-tested this game for an hour, too, and had issues with a lot of things while playing it. I'm going to download this version and see if they've fixed some of those issues.

I still don't like the Demon talking all the time and hope there's a way to turn that off.

I don't like tiny objects, either, where you have to use a magnifier. Bad enough to have bad eyes...

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Aug 4, 10 4:26 AM
jkuci wrote:I bought this a month ago from the developer for $10. Only sorry only that it ended. I'm already looking forward to the sequel!

(clip)

Great review!

I bought it from the developer as soon as it was out. The only drawbacks are small objects sometimes hidden in dark places. But, as several fishies have pointed out, the magnifier works great, is handy and easy to use, and hints recharge quickly.

This is a long, long, long game. Stylish and outstanding art, good voice-overs, a solid plot line, quirky characters--and a great sense of humor. Really good humor, too, and sometimes very sly.

Yosemite1956c
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Yosemite1956c on Aug 4, 10 4:29 AM
This could have been a good game but I was so freakin' annoyed at all the conversation and having to click so much to get past it to find out what exactly I had to do and find the items.

In one word...ANNOYING

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Aug 4, 10 4:30 AM
Yes, you can turn him off. Check out your Options.

Go to: