Not for me.

Angel

Survivor01
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

Re:Puzzle City - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by Survivor01 on Aug 5, 10 1:55 AM
I agree Angel, too hectic and too frustrating! The first few levels aren't bad, but then it gets much harder. Unfortunately, i bought this when it was a DD on 9/1/09. I never play it.

annatar
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
425 Posts

[Post New]by annatar on Aug 5, 10 4:15 AM
I tried it for almost half an hour, but couldn't understand what I'm supposed to do to reach the goals. Looked through the online "introduction" which only explains the controls and the building colours, but not what we're supposed to do with them.
Is the point to keep each "block" of the same building type? Do we get points for placing buildings, or only for placing them next to similar colours? Or are the points given when you place a new building type you didn't have before? Is there a goal (to reach the target points) to have one block of each type buildings? Or can you have more than one block of, lets say, resident buildings? What happens if you mix building types on the same block? Do you lose points then or what?

I ususally love puzzle blocks/inlay puzzles, but this was frustrating because there were no instructions or hints to how you were supposed to play... and I've never before seen an inlay puzzle that DIDN'T have a waste bin! You could presumably get a powerup that wold let you use one ONCE, but I never got that - so what do you do when the conveyor is filled and none of your powerups are of any help? Then you're stuck and can't finish!

Time and time again, I filled up all available squares on every block, but never reached the target points...and had no idea what I was supposed to do to make any points. Sometimes I didn't get any points at all for filling in squares, regardless of the building being similar to the others or not, and I got more and more frustrated and confused as to what kind of logic or strategy lies behind the way we build the towns. During my 30 mins of trial I never made it past the third town on the first level, because I couldn't even get near the amount of points needed. And this was on the Relaxed mode!

Maybe it would be a fun game if there were some constructive instructions that could really give you an idea how to play. But I wasn't in the mood for spending my entire trial hour on trying to figure out what the game makers could easily have written up on their "so-called" instructions website!

And what's the deal with those ufos? Did they have any purpose at all?

Edited on 08/05/2010 at 4:16:09 AM PST

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 5, 10 7:20 AM
I played the demo for an hour, and for 3 bucks I'm buying it.

I did not have any particular problem understanding the objectives. Easy to see that after the first few levels, getting familiar with the power-ups is a must, or else the conveyor belt fills up before all the objectives are met.

I agree that placing pieces is a bit awkward. Piece rotation (right click) is backward from what was most comfortable for me, and I don't recall any settings to reverse that, but I'll check again.

I'll try to say some helpful things, but since I'm not sure what the sticking point is for those having trouble meeting the objectives, this will be hit or miss as to helpful.

If you have highlighted areas on the grid, fill those completely with the correct color.

If you need a certain size of a certain type of building, group pieces of that color together to cover blocks of that size.A 2x2 building has to cover at least a 2x2 square area. These sizes refer to the small squares - as in, the pieces generally contain 1, 2, 3, or 4 of them. So for instance, a 2x2 piece of the right color, placed on the grid, would certainly satisfy the requirement for 1 2x2 building of that type.

If you think you've completed some objectives, mouse over the word Objectives in the upper right corner and be sure you actually completed what you think you did. That should make it easier to pinpoint what you might be doing wrong if you're having trouble.

Have fun all!

Edited on 08/05/2010 at 10:06:01 AM PST

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 5, 10 7:26 AM
annatar wrote:
Is the point to keep each "block" of the same building type? Do we get points for placing buildings, or only for placing them next to similar colours? Or are the points given when you place a new building type you didn't have before? Is there a goal (to reach the target points) to have one block of each type buildings? Or can you have more than one block of, lets say, resident buildings? What happens if you mix building types on the same block? Do you lose points then or what?

I ususally love puzzle blocks/inlay puzzles, but this was frustrating because there were no instructions or hints to how you were supposed to play... and I've never before seen an inlay puzzle that DIDN'T have a waste bin! You could presumably get a powerup that wold let you use one ONCE, but I never got that - so what do you do when the conveyor is filled and none of your powerups are of any help? Then you're stuck and can't finish!

Time and time again, I filled up all available squares on every block, but never reached the target points...and had no idea what I was supposed to do to make any points. Sometimes I didn't get any points at all for filling in squares, regardless of the building being similar to the others or not, and I got more and more frustrated and confused as to what kind of logic or strategy lies behind the way we build the towns. During my 30 mins of trial I never made it past the third town on the first level, because I couldn't even get near the amount of points needed. And this was on the Relaxed mode!

Maybe it would be a fun game if there were some constructive instructions that could really give you an idea how to play. But I wasn't in the mood for spending my entire trial hour on trying to figure out what the game makers could easily have written up on their "so-called" instructions website!

And what's the deal with those ufos? Did they have any purpose at all?

Try starting again with a new player name, and in Story Mode, and pay close attention to the instructions given at the start. Every level has objectives to meet. When those objectives are met, there will be a box in the upper right to click on to end the level to proceed to the next one. Other than highlighted areas, and the building types mentioned in the objectives, you can mix and match the other colors.

Maybe the problem was trying to play Relaxed mode first...

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 5, 10 10:10 AM
I just started trying to play in Untimed mode. The game instructions are mostly in Story Mode, so I can see that if you start in Untimed, you're lost. Even at that, it's hard to know how to score the needed points. I did beat level 1-3, and it looks like keeping each 3x3 area all one color and filling them completely might be a good starting assumption as to how to win.

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Aug 5, 10 10:15 AM
Hey Fishies,

I can see that you've already started the Reviews and Comments! I'm going to go ahead and sticky this thread so that everyone can join in. Thanks!

-bfgArnoStyx

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 5, 10 10:53 AM
Untimed level 1-3. When I opened the game to play again, I was asked to get 6000+ points to pass this level, which I wasn't able to do, even after several tries. So I selected level 1-1, played it, selected 1-2, played it, then 1-3 - and was asked for just 3000 points, which was not a problem to get.

Looks like some sort of glitch.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 5, 10 10:54 AM
bfgArnoStyx wrote:Hey Fishies,

I can see that you've already started the Reviews and Comments! I'm going to go ahead and sticky this thread so that everyone can join in. Thanks!

-bfgArnoStyx

- ooo my very first sticky

Edited on 08/05/2010 at 10:55:11 AM PST

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Aug 5, 10 11:38 AM
gimmegames wrote: - ooo my very first sticky
LOL Congratulations!

And thanks to you, as always, and the other fishies here for the DD reviews! Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid, this one... felt a bit like Tetris, just with strange (and more or less unknown) rules.

kitty1
Flounder
Flounder
2,194 Posts

[Post New]by kitty1 on Aug 5, 10 12:32 PM
I bought this game the first time it was a dd & really enjoyed it. Definitely fast moving & so if you don't like that, you won't like it. I kind of liked the music & the 50's "space age" vibe. Takes some getting used to in how to rotate pieces & place them. My biggest problems in later levels is not being able to see when I am missing a piece in a shaded area--it would be great if the missing pieces were highlighted. I finished the game in story the first time I bought it--never tried untimed mode so might try that now.

I definitely think it's a good deal for $3 if you like puzzle/TM tetris-type games.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 6, 10 8:36 PM
I'm up to stage 6 now in Story Mode (the 6th region), and the gameplay is reminding me of Fireworks Extravaganza. (And the music reminds me of Roller Rush.)

As best I can tell so far, progress in Untimed mode is limited by progress in Story Mode - aside from the first 3 untimed levels. (I won't bet my life on it though, cuz I've mostly just been playing Story Mode).

I'm enjoying it. Something sorta different from what I've generally played.

Edited on 08/08/2010 at 8:22:59 PM PST

[Post New]by nanerpotpi on Aug 7, 10 11:58 AM
hi all.

I bought the game and I like it, but I'm stuck on The Dunes, level 2-2. It asks for a residence block 3 x 3. Where is this supposed to go? I placed a 3x 3 block on the board and the game did not register it. Does the 3 x 3 block have to go in the highlighted area.

Thanks for your help.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 8, 10 8:21 PM
nanerpotpi wrote:hi all.

I bought the game and I like it, but I'm stuck on The Dunes, level 2-2. It asks for a residence block 3 x 3. Where is this supposed to go? I placed a 3x 3 block on the board and the game did not register it. Does the 3 x 3 block have to go in the highlighted area.

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forums .

I copied your question and answered it in the main Puzzle City forum that I named The Dunes Level 2-2. Hope that helps. (I just didn't want this review area to turn into a game help area.)

Edited on 08/08/2010 at 8:23:37 PM PST

Go to: