_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

Re: Collector's Editions

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Aug 5, 10 1:00 AM

Perhaps if I get really good at this 'delayed gratification' concept, I can wait around for even the really good games to be the DD

Think of all the money I could save!

I, too, am on a limited budget, and already spend more than I should here at BF, so any thought of buying a CE is out of the question.

I get why they are doing it and I don't begrudge them getting the big bucks where they can.

It just won't be from me.

Sign me out as the 'Penny Pinching' Angel

rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

Re: Collector's Editions

[Post New]by rlk0045 on Aug 5, 10 1:10 AM
_Angel_angel wrote:
Perhaps if I get really good at this 'delayed gratification' concept, I can wait around for even the really good games to be the DD

Think of all the money I could save!

I, too, am on a limited budget, and already spend more than I should here at BF, so any thought of buying a CE is out of the question.

I get why they are doing it and I don't begrudge them getting the big bucks where they can.

It just won't be from me.

Sign me out as the 'Penny Pinching' Angel

I feel the same way. It gets me upset because all the better games are CE versions.

Edited on 08/05/2010 at 1:13:09 AM PST

xssa
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

Re:Re: Collector's Editions

[Post New]by xssa on Aug 5, 10 2:01 AM
sine the regular games are just stripped down collector's it seems bogus to make us wait a few weeks. it should come out in a few days. maybe they're hoping we will cave in to temptation. tempting, but i'm too cheap. i will make myself wait.

[Post New]by girouard347 on Aug 5, 10 4:46 AM
I've got so many games now that I can replay, so there's plenty to keep me busy while I wait for the non-collector's editions to come out! I just can't see paying $19.99, when I can save $13.00 by waiting a few weeks. Do people really think that the extras are worth $13.00, when the game itself is only $7.00??? Personally, I don't think that it makes any sense at all...but, that's just my opinion.

Whatever your preference, happy gaming to everybody!

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on Aug 5, 10 6:03 AM
I, too, am one who waits for the Standard Edition of the games I want. But, I look at the Collector's Edition trend like this: By selling the CE's to those who are willing to pay extra for them, Big Fish Games can continue to offer the rest of their games at $6.99. And the developers have the money to produce more great games for all of us. I certainly enjoy quality games like "MCF: Return to Ravenhearst", "MCF: Dire Grove" and "Syberia"... so if this is what it takes to keep them coming, I can live with it.

I'm downloading the demo for "Enlightenus II" as I type this note, so I'll soon see if it is one I will eventually buy as a Standard Edition or not.

Happy gaming to all.

Classicaljazz

mombiss
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by mombiss on Aug 5, 10 6:45 AM
Hi everyone, this is my very first post, although I've been reading the forums for the games I'm interested in for a very long time. A few thoughts to pass on:

I do love instant gratification for the really good games. I have many collector editions because the really interesting fun games of the type I like such as RTR and Dire Grove don't come out often enough. Most are the run-of-the-mill HOGs and frequently boring. I agree with classicaljazz in funding the really great games such as Dire Grove and Painted Tower. Yet on the other hand, $19.95 is a little steep. My thought is somewhere around $15.95 - the game, bonus, strategy guide and possibly sound track if it's really good. Who needs more wallpaper, art concepts, etc. Although in fairness to this particular game (which I haven't demoed yet) at least there is none of those extras which I for one am not interested in. However, throwing in an extra game is nice (unfortunately I already have it).

I am looking forward to demoing this new game since I enjoyed the first so much; and yes, if it's as good as the first, I'll buy.

Mombiss

raystownlady
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by raystownlady on Aug 5, 10 9:14 AM
I too see why they came up with the idea of the CE.My only gripe is we are now waiting on three games to have the standard version released. In my opinion,the long wait and throwing in the free game (a game which in most cases you either already have it or didn't want it)are just more attempts at trying to sell more of the CE games.

Pixielate
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Pixielate on Aug 5, 10 10:06 AM
What greedy son of a fish decided that most of the good games should be Collector's Editions? Collector's Edition denotes something special, not just something early and expensive. Shame

lorialcorn2006
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

getting tired of collectors eds

[Post New]by lorialcorn2006 on Aug 5, 10 10:36 AM
Everyday I go to bigfish to see the new game and almost everyday I see they are collectors editions . I was actually really suprised that the nightfall mysteries was not offered as a collectors ed thank goodness it was reg price or I would have nothing to play .
I cant afford collectors editions and its really making me crazy that if its a good game they want so much more for it . I so love the first enlighten us and was thrilled to see it on BF this morning but not so thrilled about the price . I have 2 game club credits I want to use but there is nothing good out accept the collectors editions -I have been waiting for the Echos of the passed game to go into the 6.99 (i think its been long enough) And the new redemption cemetery I really want to play this but it will be weeks before I can . Does BF not realize that the economy sucks and we are all watching our pennies . I get so frustrated with these big price tags that I simply cant afford , Heck Im lucky I can afford the 6.99 and if it were not for the survey money I get I would not be able to afford it .
Like Pixelate said it seems like BF is turning greedy ,what a shame ! I do not use wallpaper,strategy guides or any of the " extra content" that comes with these and If I paid 19.99 for any BF game I would be headed for divorce court . Please BF take a few off collectors eds so I have something to play

lorialcorn2006
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by lorialcorn2006 on Aug 5, 10 10:41 AM
Pixielate wrote:What greedy son of a fish decided that most of the good games should be Collector's Editions? Collector's Edition denotes something special, not just something early and expensive. Shame

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE ! their greed is really showing these passed few months . I have 2 credits and have nothing new to play . Im at the mercy of who ever is in charge of pricing and letting collectors editions become regular priced games . Ive been waiting for the new Echos of the passed game to go to reg edition . with as much problem as I see gamers are having with the collectors edition extras not working they should just take all that @#%$ out and make if a reg ed so I can have something to play .

AuBrnPeach
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by AuBrnPeach on Aug 5, 10 11:19 AM
I totally agree w/ everyone's posts on this thread. I also believe in everyone's right to be able to spend their money as they want. I for one am NOT new to the purchasing of CE's. I have bought 5 already, then sat down and had a LONGGG talk w/ myself on the wasted $$$. LOL! That's not saying these games weren't worth it, maybe 2 out of the 3 were. The rest were purchased due to my impatience.So needless to say I no longer purchase CE's due to "waking up!" As stated awhile back in another thread that the merit of CE's speak for themselves in regards to the price, I agree! If someone wants the extras and can afford it GOOD for them! GAME ON! BUT.....why make the rest of us wait for the regular version?? Why not offer both at the same time?? The way I see it BF is going to get their $$$ either way, why not get it all at once? I'm just saying! IMHO.

Staying COOL in HOT Charlotte, NC!

[Post New]by NectarLT on Aug 5, 10 11:25 AM
So saving my money to buy this game ;]

dewieee
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by dewieee on Aug 5, 10 3:01 PM
I don't usually say anything regarding the ce's, but frankly I am getting a little annoyed at the frequency of them. It used to be occasionally, but it seems like they are showing up more and more. I am having a hard time finding a game I want to play then the one's that appear to be decent come with a price tag of 20.00. I joined big fish due to the discounted games and I realize I still have that, but I am really getting irritated at having to wait for what might be a decent game.

And, it's not just one Ce, there may be 3 or 4 out there at a time that i am forced to wait for. At least release some of the others before offering yet another.

Not happy lately.

JerryInWales
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by JerryInWales on Aug 5, 10 3:07 PM
I've bought one CE so far, Flux Rabbit Hole. This was mainly because it has an HD option (I had a Beta review to try), and I was most impressed by the clarity. I haven't tried the non-CE one though.

In other words, a CE might tempt me if the extras are really special. The bait in this case is the extra game and the extra scenario: oddly enough I recognise the pictures from the Mayan Princess game, from a demo I must have downloaded some time ago. OTOH BFG might bring the Princess out as a DD in a few days' time!

Janeypat
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by Janeypat on Aug 5, 10 8:07 PM
just agree with everyone

19.99 for a game that in a few weeks will be 6.99 and we get walk throughs as well
just keep the games to 6.99 and i think we agree we dont need all the extra stuff for 13.00 just keep it simple give us the games at a price we like xx

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 6, 10 12:24 AM
I would only buy the CE version if the extended bonus play is long enough. I have seen CE versions where the bonus game is just not worth paying the extra money for. And I don't want the wallpaper, artwork nor the strategy guide that comes with it (I can always check out one of those FREE walkthroughs if I really get stuck at a puzzle).

The only CE version I ever bought was "Love Chronicles: The Spell". The bonus game for this game is really worth getting the CE version for. It's long enough and you play in a completely different environment from where you have been before.

I also agree that there is no reason to make us wait 2 weeks or more to get the standard version. I think that 1 week is plenty enough time. And like others, I am also waiting now for at least 2 standard versions to appear so that I can buy them.

Edited on 08/06/2010 at 12:24:46 AM PST

molinka
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by molinka on Aug 13, 10 10:49 AM
i think for each collectors edition game we purchase we should receive a free collectors edition!!!

Miz__Kaz
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by Miz__Kaz on Sep 11, 10 10:01 AM
Thank you all, this has been an enlightening and very helpful read for me.
After much debate between getting the CE or the regular of this game, I have decided for the regular. Thanks for the honesty I see here!

Cheers,
Miz Kaz

Go to: