CE vs. Regular again???

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

Re:CE vs. Regular again???

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 5, 10 1:36 AM
It has to do with the publisher of the game- the folks that fund the game to be developed - and most of the CE's are Big Fish published games.

xssa
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by xssa on Aug 5, 10 2:11 AM
you have to wait three weeks for the regular game?!? aghhhhhh. i thought it was sooner than that. i may have to buy the game. oh wait, my wallet just blew away. it weighs nothing after paying taxes and etc. my credit card is hiding in the closet. dang. i feel sorry for the people who bought the dream chronicles book of air collecotr edition. the 6.99 wasn't even worth it.
at least, if i download the free trial of enlightenus two, i can always start over whent he regular version comes out. i can't believe they make us wait three weeks for the same game with less. unfair! whine.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Aug 5, 10 2:12 AM
Most games when released first by the dev are $19.99 for the basic standard game. If we don't want to buy direct and want it for less we wait til BF gets it, then pay $6.99. How many fishies here already had Brunhilda from the devs, and many other games bought before they were here maybe a month later? They didn't want to wait. That's all.

So, I don't really understand the difference why when it is a CE here there are so many complaints about paying $19.99, in fact with some extended play and SG integrated one is getting more for the money than buying a $19.99 reg game from the dev when released. I waited a month to get Brunhilda here, and many other games like Virtual Villagers and Mishap, not even a CE. I read about games released elsewhere all the time on other review sites and add some to my wish list. So I really can't complain that I will wait for Enlightenus2 later for $6.99. Just saying you always save money waiting whether it is a CE or an SE, and price is the same usually. If willing to pay $19.99 for a reg game then why not for CE? It comes down to either controlling our game budgets or patience.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 5, 10 2:41 AM
puzzledone wrote:Most games when released first by the dev are $19.99 for the basic standard game. If we don't want to buy direct and want it for less we wait til BF gets it, then pay $6.99. How many fishies here already had Brunhilda from the devs, and many other games bought before they were here maybe a month later? They didn't want to wait. That's all.

Brunhilda was released @ $9.99

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Aug 5, 10 2:54 AM
I have a GH Fun Pass and I bought the SE of Midnight Mysteries Salem Witch Trials from BF when it came out. Then a couple of weeks later Alawar comes out with the CE version of it and GH picked it up. So with my Fun Pass I played it. There was one more hour of game play. I sure as heck don't see spending the $19.99 price tag for the CE version. The day comes when I have to start paying $20.00 for HOG's is the day I stop playing them. I can put that extra $13.00 to better use than spending it on an hour extra game time. In fact when Gogii sells their games on their site their price is $9.99, only $3.00 difference. That I don't mind paying. But $10.00 more is getting ridiculous.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 5, 10 3:00 AM
$10 seems to be the preferred price point for high quality games.

Another game club has adopted this- $10 for their exclusive well made games, $6.99 for other games. Plus $1.99 bargain basement.

Syrenia
Guppy
Guppy
138 Posts

[Post New]by Syrenia on Aug 5, 10 3:38 AM
Govegril, can you pm me the name of that site, please? Thanks!

misty5
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by misty5 on Aug 5, 10 3:55 AM
govegril wrote:$10 seems to be the preferred price point for high quality games.

Another game club has adopted this- $10 for their exclusive well made games, $6.99 for other games. Plus $1.99 bargain basement.

govegril, I'd love the name of that game club site -- could you please PM me with it? Thanks a bunch!

dcairns
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by dcairns on Aug 5, 10 4:45 AM
I would love the name as well, if you could send it to me. This is getting ridiculous that most games that are well done are now being released as CE's. I have purchased quite a few but having 3 on the go at one time, is just plain greedy BFG!

squeak101
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by squeak101 on Aug 5, 10 5:13 AM
govegril I also would love the name of that game club site ...could you PM me also Please

Thanks

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 5, 10 5:20 AM
ok everyone pm- hope I don't get in trouble here=

Anyone else better pm me please as we taking over Casual Grans thread with this.

djrum525
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,389 Posts

[Post New]by djrum525 on Aug 5, 10 5:59 AM
I remember a time when ALL hidden object games were $20. The very first HOG I ever bought and played was Ravenhearst. Retail price at WalMart $19.98. Compare that to Return To Ravenhearst (I pre-ordered at $19.99 plus S&H) and you can see the vast improvement in over-all game content.
The cost for the development of these games is phenomenal. Then to put a $6.99 price tag on it, how are they supposed to recover even some of their expense? So, they offer a CE. Those of us that do want that particuliar game and if finances allow, will buy it. In that way, maybe the casual game developers can continue to make these awesome games for EVERYONE to enjoy (all CE's are released in a standard version 2-3 weeks later).
I don't have a problem with CE's, since that's what I used to pay for a game. I don't buy every CE that's out there. But they are here for a reason and I think we should respect that!

JerryInWales
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by JerryInWales on Aug 5, 10 6:43 AM
One thing that BFG could do that would benefit everyone would be to allow Game Club Credits to be used in part payment of the CE price - that should include the punchcard credits. I suspect that might increase the CE sales quite a bit!

Do BFG have any thought on this,please?

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 5, 10 6:55 AM
JerryInWales wrote:One thing that BFG could do that would benefit everyone would be to allow Game Club Credits to be used in part payment of the CE price - that should include the punchcard credits. I suspect that might increase the CE sales quite a bit!

Do BFG have any thought on this,please?

They have said they are working on it. So we wait in aniticipation

jemsee
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by jemsee on Aug 5, 10 7:09 AM
I have no problem with a game being offered as a CE.
If players like that kind of thing let them make their own choice.
Movies have been doing this for a long time.
Get the basic for one price or the extended version or version with
commentaries or whatever the perk is for another price.

As for the waiting, well if they have a game ready and offer it as CE.
Then SE will come along soon enough.

In fact I wait till I have enough credits to be able to buy six games
all at once therefor getting a full punch card within the 30 days required.
So I have my wish list and just wait and buy 2 or 3 times a year.
Download when Im ready to play them, and take my time doing so.
Stretching out my play time and enjoying my games.
I have however taken advantage of the sales BFG offers, buying several
at a even lower discounted price of the 6.99.

And Im sure the developers are not hurting too much by letting BFG offer
their games. I would bet allowing a third party to publish your games gets
massive downloads vs them trying to sell it themselves.

Jem~

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Aug 5, 10 7:15 AM
I'm glad we're offered the option of CE or regular (sooner or later ). I've bought more than my share of CE's but I personally don't utilize any of the added benefits. I play a game and move on. Does anybody really go back to just listen to the sound track or look at the pretty pictures? It's a big world so I know someone is going to say "sure! all the time".............well that's just peachy for you but it's a waste of money to me. From here on out I'm waiting on the $6.99 version. No problem with that,each to his own.
Dr.good

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Aug 5, 10 7:36 AM
Here's my philosophy on CEs--do you want a 3-week jump on the rest of the crowd? Then sign up. Do you like wallpapers, concept art, and added musical soundtracks? Then sign up. Do you want a built-in strategy guide? Then sign up. I have purchased a few CEs because I can answer "Yes" to a couple of those questions ("3-week jump" and "strategy guide"). I don't fault BFG for offering CEs (although this is what-3 or so?-in the past week). I can't in good conscience put down game developers for wanting the "biggest bang for the buck," but I think I might refrain from the temptation from now on. Good luck to creators and publishers for the more expensive versions, but I doubt I'll be a subscriber to those in the future.

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

[Post New]by MURPHY on Aug 5, 10 7:39 AM
When you can have three good games for the price of just one CE I don't think the CE is worth it. Too much to pay for just a little extra to be added on that I'll never look at! There are exceptions to that rule however, MCF would be one!

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Aug 5, 10 8:11 AM
The Collector’s Edition includes:

* Bonus gameplay quest
* Built in Strategy Guide
* Fun Achievements
* Sneak peek of Enlightenus 3
* Full version of Forgotten Riddles: Mayan Princess

there's a whole extra game thrown in for those who haven't already purchased it... so it's like getting two and a half games for the price of a little less than three... throw in the strategy guide [and i know someone out there is going to use it] and the "achievements" [can someone say trophy hog?] and i'd say that you're getting your money's worth with this one... but then i'm biased - i bought it!

lydiajmack
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by lydiajmack on Aug 5, 10 8:45 AM
I love my little fish pond full of happy little gaming fishies but I am getting so tired of the rants about CE's. I think they are great and yes they cost more. So oh well!
Please just let Big Fish Games do their business as they see fit. You are not obligated to buy any game from them.

Go to: