bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Samantha Swift and the Fountains of Fate

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 6, 10 12:42 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Samantha Swift and the Fountains of Fate? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Samantha Swift and the Fountains of Fate

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Aug 6, 10 12:51 AM
"It's A B[o]uy Mrs Walker, it's a b[o]uy"!!!

Love from first sight!!! Am I talking Mumbo Jumbo?

Adventure Interactive HOG. Stunning graphics!!! If you loved the previous ones, you will love this one too...

And Samantha is "older" now, not a teen anymore - what a super-woman!!!

Thanks developers! Thanks BF!

purplemist
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by purplemist on Aug 6, 10 1:08 AM
Yeaaaa all happy absolutely love the Samantha Swift no trying demo just buying thx BFG

bansama
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by bansama on Aug 6, 10 1:12 AM
What can I say? Played the demo for 3 mins and purchased.

But like many others here, I've enjoyed this series right from when I played the first one.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 6, 10 1:15 AM
makes me feel guilty using a coupon on this game- but off to grab it now.

Samantha Swift is almost straight HOG by todays IHOG standards but I enjoy the graphics style, looking for those Swifts and lightning bolts and being part of the Adventure - you gotta love Samantha

cll026497
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by cll026497 on Aug 6, 10 1:48 AM
Love all Samantha Swift series definately worth it !!!!!!! You feel like you are growing up with her, keep up the good work.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 6, 10 1:55 AM
There is no story at all at the beginning of the game - just goes straight to the HOG.
There is a nice action scene but nothing to say why Samantha is looking for the object - what its significance is or even where she is.

I couldn't get into it but I know there are great Samantha fans who look at this series as an old tried and true friend and love the familiar character, graphics and game mechanics.

I'll definitely save it for a DD.

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Aug 6, 10 1:56 AM

With the less-than-great series continuations from some of the games lately (ie: Virtual Villagers & Dream Chronicles), I was afraid to get my hopes up.

Way to come through for us Samantha!

Love it! Just LOVE IT!

Angel

mountfalcon
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by mountfalcon on Aug 6, 10 1:59 AM
Really attractive graphic style, and great clarity making the search for objects totally fair. Not easy to resist, so I may have to go with the flow. Very enjoyable.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Aug 6, 10 2:21 AM
I really Samantha Swift games as they are an adventure as well as being an interactive HOG. Thanks MJ.

I was a bit worried initially because it took ages for the game to activate and it just said waiting ... however about ten minutes later it actually activated. I then played the first scene to check it was working and then came to buy. Before I click on the Continue Shopping at the bottom of the order screen I always click on the Already Purchased this Game on the Game Manager to fully activate it when I just did that it knocked my internet pages off completely ... most strange. Anyway to be on the safe side I restarted my computer and came here to report. Will let you know if anything else weird happens when I play it again later ... unfortunately topside life is interferring with my playing any more now.

The game is beautifully drawn and I like how they have got the movement of the wind in the trees just don't stare at it those of you who have motion sickness. It is possible to play that first scene without looking directly at the top of your screen so you should be alright but I just wanted you to be aware that there was some movement there. Alternatively just drape a cloth over the top 2 - 3" like I do when the torch lights are too bright . To get to the next scene you go through a hole in the rock so the trees shouldn't be a problem there.

I found the objects OK with the exception of the crank which I used a hint for . You can get extra hints by collecting lightning flashes and there are also 2 swifts per screen for you to collect. When I played the first scene I did not notice any music playing so I am unable to comment on that. The custom cursor can be turned off but I did not experience any problems with it during the short time I played.

C

ETA

I just lost my internet connection so that could have been the problem before.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Aug 6, 10 3:08 AM
Just as good if not better than the previous Samantha Swift episodes (loved the second one though--"The Golden Touch"). So the bar was set pretty high. This one seems to measure up. The opening is a little hokey (Samantha on a surfboard outracing "villains" on Jetskis?). And the first screen is a HOG with no particular intro. That said, the graphics are well-done (like the first three, a sharp but "watercolor" look); some items go into inventory to be used--I like that. The hint system, though, isn't friendly--start with one and then find "lightning bolts" in each scene to gain more--I prefer the "recharging" way of doing things (just spoiled, I guess). That aside, I spent a good deal of time on the demo and decided this was a "buy" (as you should, if you like lots of hidden objects with some adventure and interactive inventory thrown in). Four stars.

P.S. I have been respectfully corrected concerning the hint stuff--apparently they do recharge (almost without notice). The "lightning bolts" provide additional hints. Hope my previous words didn't mislead anyone.

Edited on 08/07/2010 at 1:41:38 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Aug 6, 10 3:09 AM
Yup, looks like a good one. The last one was a struggle with so many dark scenes and tiny things. Also, after the video opening it goes right into the game, so if you want to use your player name, or adjust Options, back out of the first scene, then return. Otherwise you can lose progress if you change it later. I just played demo as Samantha, figure I'll start over anyway when I buy.

I didn't hear any music either once the game started, backed out but Options showed music and sound up, just got effects though. If you have played SS's before you get an eye what to look for, first of all lightening bolts because you get only one hint to start. Usually when I get further in game I have more hints than I'd ever need. Also, rather than a hint remember to click the item name and get a silouette of the object in the scanner, lower left corner, that's how I found what to look for "crank". Too many random clicks and the scanner goes off for a short while but it comes back.

I had a hard time finding where the hot spots were to turn the pointer blue and use inventory. Moving cursor around I got nothing,so there is an order,another room.

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Aug 6, 10 3:52 AM
The 1st 2 SS games were great; the 3rd was a disappointment (and I don't know if the difference was due to my increased HOG/adventure game experience). This 1 resembles the 3rd.

The graphics are good, the scenes are fun. The swamp scene is particularly well-done (any more info would spoil it). The objects are usually cleverly hidden but you can find them with a little searching. Scenes do tend to be dark which may make the hunt harder for older eyes,.Hints are again renewed by finding lightning bolts (I can always find the1st but never the 2nd. Sigh.)

For all intents and purposes there is no plot. Although a story is vaguely suggested in the opening sequence, it is never developed; you just plunge into HOG scenes. The game does all the work for you: it tells you where to look, where to go next, etc. You don't have to think a lot, which is sometimes relaxing.

If you're a SS fan, then this is the game for you. If you are fairly new to HOGs, you will probably enjoy it. For the more experienced player who is not a fan, it is negligible. I might buy it as a DD.

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Aug 6, 10 4:08 AM
I am going to use a punch card coupon to purchase this one, since I really like it!

I've played and enjoyed the Samantha Swift games before. This one is not much different except that she's gotten a bit older.

The graphics are bright and clean and there's a little animation in the background, but I wish the developers would try and be more creative with the animations and give us players a little more interaction. Example: If you click on the windchimes that are moving in the breeze, why not have them make a sound??

It's not the BEST hidden object game and certainly not the longest, but it's very enjoyable and all ages can play it.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Aug 6, 10 5:22 AM
Oh, REJOICE! A new Samantha Swift!

D/loading as I type. Ooooh, ooooooooh!

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Aug 6, 10 5:58 AM
There was a time when this game would of satisfied my taste ,.......... but not any more . I got to have more adventure now a days to keep my interest ? Enjoy !!

Edited on 08/06/2010 at 5:59:46 AM PST

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Aug 6, 10 6:25 AM
Cherb, the crank looked like the lightning bolt to me! Heh heh. Now I can't find the lightning bolt, grrrrr. (If you want to PM it to me, I'd be grateful. I rarely miss the bolts--then again, I am battling the start of a migraine.)

As usual, great graphics, great challenges, etc. The only change that I've noticed so far is the rapid start of the game without the development of a story line beyond the hint in the opening action, others have noticed. Boy, that opening is very James Bondi-ish! Recalled the skiing scene in one JB.

Yeaaaaa Samantha!

ETA/Never mind! I found it! These folks are gooooood!

Edited on 08/06/2010 at 11:22:28 AM PST

[Post New]by snowflakesh on Aug 6, 10 6:39 AM
Love Samantha Swift games, this is a buy buy buy!!

[Post New]by NCPantherEyes on Aug 6, 10 6:58 AM
I have all of the other SS games and I love them...if I had any complaint it would be the hint system. I prefer the recharge system versus the number system.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Aug 6, 10 7:07 AM
The walkthrough should be up later today--it has the Swifts and the Lightning Bolts marked in every scene, along with the Key Items and instructions for the inventory tasks.

There is a definite plot, but it doesn't really get explained until the cut scene at the end of the first Stage, which is about 8 Hidden Object Scenes later!

The short version is that in the first Stage (the chapters quite long in this game) Samantha is looking for the Emerald of Cortez, and there are also some bad guys looking for it.

After the first stage, she'll find out more about what's going on.

By the way, I really enjoyed this game, and found it more like the first title in the series than the third. The inventory tasks are well integrated into Hidden Object Scenes, and you get that same sense of exploring that the first Samantha Swift had. In many chapters you will first explore the area outside of a building, then go through a couple of rooms in the building, then come out a different side of the building and do some more looking around there. I had a very clear sense of the geography of the local area, which I didn't get as much from the third one.

There are over 40 individual Hidden Object Scenes, plus about a dozen mini-games. Also, once you collect enough Swifts (about half way through the story mode) you unlock a bonus Unlimited Hidden Object Mode, where you try to beat your time on individual scenes, but with ever-changing Find Lists.

Oh, as far as challenge goes--take a look at the Trophy List. There's one trophy you get for going through the entire game without ever using a hint. Another trophy for never using the silhouette feature. Another trophy for finding all the objects in one scene in the exact order they're listed on the Find List.

There's still no timer, but I did find those pretty challenging. Really it's up to you how much challenge you want. The silhouette feature does make things much easier to find--but it's up to you whether you use it, and you can only get all the trophies if you're willing to play through the entire game one time without ever using that feature.

Robin

Edited on 08/06/2010 at 7:20:28 AM PST

Go to: