[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 8, 10 12:24 AM
Just starting this topic...

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Re:The Hidden Prophecies of Nostradamus - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 8, 10 1:12 AM
Played half the demo so far. The graphics are dated, but so far not bad aside from that. Unfortunately dated graphics is not a good thing for HOGs...

Music varies and has been ok to leave on so far. There's a few ambient sounds, and some nice scene animations here and there. There's a mini-game of guessing letters in lines of quatrains that is not too bad.

(Going back 2 bed - download 2 games and call me in the morning... )

Edited on 08/08/2010 at 1:13:54 AM PST

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Aug 8, 10 2:44 AM
This is a straight forward junk pile HOG with mini-games. For the most part, the images are clear and the game should be comfortable for aging eyes, although a few items are purposely "fuzzy." There is a penalty for random clicks: 30 seconds are added to your time. The hint button refreshes fairly quickly but I doubt you will need it very often; the items are relatively easy to find.

The game has two play modes: easy and adventure. Both modes are timed but the former allows for extra playing time. You will have no trouble finding the objects within the time limits in this mode. I did not try the more difficult mode.

There are a few spots where the translations are problematic. For example, in one scene, the "motion light" is a lava lamp! However, there are not enough of these mislabellings to cause any serious problems in game play.

For me the best part of this game was the mini-games. I found them challenging. The 1st was based on language and code-breaking, the second on logistics. (That's as far as I got.) A skip option is available for those who do not enjoy these.

One word of caution: the game is based on tarot cards and other images some may find offensive.

This is a beginner's game par excellence and an enjoyable break for more experienced players. It's worth the $2.99.

JerryInWales
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by JerryInWales on Aug 8, 10 3:19 AM
Have just started the demo, and already I'm not impressed

The objects I was asked to find were a bit tricky - a Baked Potato (it turned out that you could only see the filling!), and (not being a US person) what's a Nunchuck?

I had the music on: why is there a sound of someone clearing their throat every few seconds (in the terrace, at the beginning)?

I'll play a bit more to give it a chance, but so far - no buy.

More thoughts: so a Nunchuck is that thing with two sticks with a cord between them? A "gingerbread" is what I would call a Gingerbread Man (like the nursery tale).

Overall, it seems a good plan is to try all the places on the map: they use the same icons in all scenes, so you may get a better look in one scene than in another, giving "Oh! So that's what they mean by (thing)! Now I might be able to find it in the other scene...".

Edited on 08/08/2010 at 3:57:05 AM PST

SueDee67
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by SueDee67 on Aug 8, 10 5:48 AM
A Nunchuck is a weapon used in Karate. ( Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, Jackie Chan) It is not American in origin, by the way. ( Japanese, if I recall correctly.) Two "sticks" connected by a short chain at the top of these sticks. Very effective when used by experts.

About as far away from a Gingerbread cookie as we can get!

I'll try the game based on the reviews here. See what it's about. I always come here before trying a game anymore. Saves me a lot of time. Thanks everyone.

ilikegame
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by ilikegame on Aug 8, 10 7:46 AM
A basic HOG. Not bad for 2.99 if you are a beginner. But I have many HOG already and it is not a buy for me.

P.S. how come there is a person cough for every few seconds in the first screen??

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Aug 8, 10 7:57 AM
Two modes and BOTH timed!!

While there is a skip option for mini's, it is LIMITED TO
ONLY THREE!

Dozens of posts of players being stuck on mini's
after using up ALL THREE of their skips.

NO BUY for me for sure.

Apadenska
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by Apadenska on Aug 8, 10 8:39 AM
Limited SKIPS...old graphics...baked potato...nunchuck! Doesn't sound very interesting. I'll skip this one. Have fun to those who take advantage of the DD. I'm going to get a cup of coffee!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 8, 10 9:05 AM
I just finished playing the demo.

Several months ago, I would have bought this. But with all the daily deals and sales since then, my collection of games is soooo much better, and this is bottom of the barrel by comparison.

If you simply must have a 3 dollar game to play today, this will do. Otherwise, I think most will do well to pass on this one.

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Aug 8, 10 11:56 AM
I was almost going to pass on this one as initially I thought it was going to be tediously repetitive and boring like yesterday's DD, Season of Mystery;The Cherry Blossom Murders. But I loved the variety of mini-game puzzles at the end of the **** levels. I have both a desk top computer (which I reserve for the more adventurous games like the Salem Witch Trials) so I can enjoy the graphics on the larger screen, but I also like to purchase games which play well on my 14.1 inch screen laptop. While I agree with gimmegames that there are a lot better out there, the mini games make the difference on this one for me and the game play itself is "lappy" approved. I chose the more difficult mode and had no problem with the time.

[Post New]by GeorgeXXIII on Aug 8, 10 1:31 PM
I tried this game today but binned it with 18 minutes left. It was a bit boring. The hidden object parts were ok but nowt flash at all and the mini-games weren't as good as that even.
The first one looked like it might be interesting - it was basically a variation the Hangman word game. Good I thought as I used to like playing Hangman. It went on for ages though and i got fed up with it.The second minigame was just a swap the pieces fill in the picture game. That was as far as i got the first 2 levels but i found it dull. I've loads of games to play without adding new boring ones.

hbgroadends
Guppy
Guppy
147 Posts

[Post New]by hbgroadends on Aug 8, 10 6:22 PM
tropdechats wrote:This is a straight forward junk pile HOG with mini-games. ...

Thanks, tropdechats! This is exactly what I wanted to know about this game. Since I've moved on past straight HOGs, I don't need to download this one to try it out.

Thank you for saving me time!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Aug 8, 10 7:14 PM
this isn't a good HOA game. If you are into mini puzzles you might like it a daily deal, if you play a lot of games. But if you are picky give it a pass.

the mini games are just plain annoying - the tarot card turn over is impossible even with their forum (cats eye) tips.

I am about half way through (I think) and am on the fireball mini puzzle game with 3 locks and my game has frozen up twice in different place in it!

Am on windows 7 and just had the felix thingy problem solver for another game and everything is up to date.

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Aug 8, 10 8:03 PM
gingergal -- the specs for this game say Vista. Maybe it gets glitchy with Seven?

Boy, I've played all but 18 minutes of the demo and I'm undecided. If we only had to do one quatrain (the hangman style game) I may have liked it better. Sometimes plain old HOGs are just what I want because they are more relaxing. There is plenty of time with the relaxed mode. If you group 3 or more clicks together you get more time on the clock.

I think I'm going to go do something else and come back. I played before dinner and maybe I was just too hungry.

KC_Granny
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by KC_Granny on Aug 8, 10 8:36 PM
Played about 25 minutes and am bored to death. The objects stand out against a blurry background, so no challenge there. Mini-games relatively fun.

Not a buy for me.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Aug 8, 10 10:13 PM
I'll be skipping this one as well. I'm playing in the timed mode and the hint button doesn't work. When I click on it, there is absolutely nothing. I got stuck on the necklace in the first section and can not proceed any further to see if I would like the game. Certainly not worth $2.99 to me if I can't use the hint button. The music was really nice and the graphics weren't bad, though.

[Post New]by colorsplash on Aug 9, 10 1:48 PM
This is one of the best 2.99 that I have spent in ages. The Mini games are some of the best in any games I have played. Thanks bfg

chillygirl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by chillygirl on Sep 10, 10 6:14 PM
It'd be kinda sweet if at the beginning of each game (were there limited skips) if they told you that. Or~ for us old forgetful people-it said somewhere-what the 'extras' were that you could look for. I swear...I have so many games going here, I need to keep a dang spiral going with notes for what each game expects lol.
I'm glad I got this particular one on a DD. I was TRYING to make myself finish all the -maybe not so fun- games to get to my newer ones like 'Reincarnation' & 'Witches Prison & 'Franks Castle'...'Redemption Cem' and so on but I tell ya...'Hidden Proph's of Nostradamus and 'Magicians Handbook/Blacklore are two slooooooooowwww goin games here. I'ma thinkin I'ma gonna dump em and go have some fun tonight!!! What bein Friday night and all!! Sooo.....would someone please encourage me????

Gojira2006
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,183 Posts

[Post New]by Gojira2006 on Oct 15, 11 5:38 PM
An entertaining game, indeed - & the Quatrains are fun . . . There are plenty of sites on-line for finding the translated Centuries . . .

Go to: