Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

Historical inaccuracies

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Aug 11, 10 6:04 PM
I agree with the many posts praising this game, but was no one else bothered by the historical inaccuracies in novella 3? We're supposed to be tracing a murder in 1778, and we have a woman doctor?! I discovered that there actually was one German woman who was a doctor in the 18th century, but most female health care providers would have been midwives without any medical training. Also, I think the first vaccine--in fact,even the word vaccine--didn't even exist in 1778. Didn't Edward Jenner coin the word when he came up with the smallpox vaccine in 1796? The cause (and cure) for most epidemic diseases came only in the late nineteenth or even twentieth century, after Koch and Pasteur discovered micro-organisms. The clothes struck me as mainly nineteenth-century vintage, and in the bonus section we are dealing with a witch burning?! I think the last witch was burned during the Napoleonic wars (i.e., 1799-1815), but that was the last one by decades--like 70-80 years. The armor also struck me as wildly out of place as well--mostly 14-16th century--but maybe one of you interested in military equipment would be able to speak more accurately to that point. I won't even go into the car that appears in as a hidden item in novella 3.

Anyway, it was a good game, but these inaccuracies really distracted me from the game play!

tredzwater
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

Re:Historical inaccuracies (edit-please scroll down)

[Post New]by tredzwater on Aug 14, 10 2:59 PM
Lucy, you and I need to meet. I'm as much of a stickler for historical (and other) inaccuracies as you are. I've learned to ignore them most of the time because, after all, that's not why I play games, but they do produce a "what" moment.

I'm almost afraid to even demo Egyptian-theme games because so many of them are just horribly inaccurate and I'm a real Egyptology nerd. The game developers seem to have a pathological need to call a character "Nefertiti" or to stick that famous bust in every game, even if the game is set hundreds of years before she was born. And they include Attic Greek vases as part of pharaoh's treasures when the last pharaoh had gone to his ancestors long before the Greeks stopped killing each other with rocks. It's terminally annoying.

While such a thread is probably only of real interest to nitpickers like me, I think it does address a new trend in casual gaming. When I first started, no one minded an astronaut floating up against a living room ceiling but I think that game developers are beginning to realize that we're not all dull-minded stay-at-homes (I'm a sharp-minded stay-at-home.) and are putting out games that require real thought. I'm surprised to find that I'm immediately bored with games I once thought were wonderful.

There is real money to be made outside of the Myst cult and the MMORPGs and a whole community of intelligent, educated people to design for. IHOGs are getting bigger and better and people are spending serious money on them, including upgrading computers, etc. The time will come when historical inaccuracies might well cause a developer to lose the big bucks.

I think that good stories, written in correct English and correctly spelled, containing accurate HOs and wonderful interfaces are the wave of the future and I and my bank account will be eagerly awaiting that wave.

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

Re:Historical inaccuracies

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Aug 16, 10 11:24 PM
Dear Tredwater,

thanks for responding to my post! I totally agree with you: as the gaming community expands, companies will have to respond to all of us who play. But it worries me that so many people played this game (which I agree was really quite fun and interesting in terms of the challenges), but didn't question the premise of a woman doctor with a vaccine 250 years ago. It also worries me that the developers of the game, BFG, and the beta testers didn't raise these issues since it denotes a lack of awareness of our slot in time in relation to others.

I don't mean to be a snob because history has an unending number of revelations that we can't all know. I just recently learned that the US had enough penicillin to treat the guys who went into Normandy in 1944 on D-Day, but the Germans did not develop the drug. Perhaps the Germans were more concerned with frostbite on the Eastern Front and with the flyboys who ended up in the North Sea after bombing England (hence, the awful experiments at Dachau on hypothermia), but knowing that we had penicillin and the Germans didn't is a really interesting perspective on World War II.

Anyway, I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in my historical reflections on these games!

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Aug 16, 10 11:30 PM
Count me in as one who notices historical inaccuracies and anachronisms in these games. My latest annoyance is the southern American dialect being spoken by the 18th-century-British-looking characters in "Echoes of the Past". Then, the princess herself looks like a supermodel in Edwardian dress....

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Aug 19, 10 1:15 AM
I wish that the companies that make these games would have a few of us history nuts beta test their games if they engage the past. The people who design and program these games have such great ideas (their bailiwick), but sometimes need some help about the relevant worlds!

Thanks for responding to my post!

Sinsaint
Clownfish
Clownfish
635 Posts

[Post New]by Sinsaint on Aug 20, 10 4:39 PM
Lucy1997 wrote:But it worries me that so many people played this game (which I agree was really quite fun and interesting in terms of the challenges), but didn't question the premise of a woman doctor with a vaccine 250 years ago. It also worries me that the developers of the game, BFG, and the beta testers didn't raise these issues since it denotes a lack of awareness of our slot in time in relation to others.

Wow, not to sound rude but is this whole female doctor thing when you picked up on the historical inaccuracies? Did you not notice that the woman who died in 1905 said her son had autism? The word "autism" didn't even exist in modern english until 1910 and wasn't used as a diagnosis until the 1940's. Before that it was referred to as mental retardation, retarded, slow, etc.

Seriously though, historically it's not accurate but it is a good game. Like you said, hopefully the developers will start catching on that at least some of us are familiar with history. Or, they can look it at this as an educational opportunity. Start making games historically accurate so the gamer can leave with satisfaction AND an education.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Aug 21, 10 7:21 AM
There are so many historical inaccuracies in popular culture that I sometimes shiver to think what many people believe about the past.

Errors in casual games occasionally bother me but not nearly as much as scantily clad warrier women on TV and in films. I don't consider myself a prude but things like that really annoy me. Many years ago I saw a movie set in Biblical times or earlier in which a character went hang gliding off the top of a 19th century castle.

Mostly, I am not overly bothered by the anachronisms in casual games as they have seldom been over the top. I do often find historical errors that are off enough to be upsetting.

Maybe kids should be taught in history class to be aware of these errors. One day, we may have professors who are totally ignorant about history. I already hear many educated people use poor English. That really gets me mad!

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Sep 10, 10 12:21 AM
Sorry not to have responded sooner, but, yes, I did notice the a-historical reference to autism; I was just more disturbed by the other a-historical references that were several centuries out of date. I didn't want to get into the "diagnoses" of illnesses, which from our perspective were just bizarre.

I agree that It is a good game, but it would have been better without these out-of place references.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Sep 10, 10 3:40 AM
Hi Lucy,

I noticed some of those inaccuracies you mentioned too, but I decided to do my best to ignore them, so I could keep playing the game. It wasn't always easy, but I managed (I think, lol).

I'm finding what really 'gets my goat', like many other fishies, is the very poor English translations we are seeing in so many games now. Many of them could be really good, but the translations just let them down completely.

Hopefully, the developers will eventually get the message that we expect high quality in English as well as the graphics, puzzles, hog scenes and storyline. That's not too much too ask, is it?

Jen.

Go to: