gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Mirror Mixup - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 12, 10 12:40 AM
Yet another "trial expired" internet scavenger hunt for a demo to try, but I did find one. After about 10 minutes I decided to go ahead and buy it. It's interesting and the music and pictures create a pleasant environment.

I'm not entirely sure that it's fun, but I don't recall seeing another game like it, and it's a different sort of challenge - turning a few rusty gears in the brain that I didn't even know were there, I think lol.

teawren
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

Re:Mirror Mixup - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by teawren on Aug 12, 10 6:07 AM
this is a funny little game - as i was playing the demo, i decided i liked the challenge of solving the pictures but i didn't really like it enough to buy it

then, when the demo ended, i was terribly disappointed that i wasn't able to continue

as a DD, it's probably worth it even if i play it only every so often; at the very least it gives me a completely different type of game to work on when i get bored/frustrated with the others

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Aug 12, 10 6:26 AM
I've had this game for awhile and like it a LOT. It's different in that you flip parts of the picture to make a complete picture in as few moves as possible. You can play timed or untimed. You can also play so that you have to complete it in a certain number of moves or start over OR remove this restriction (one of the 1st things I did! LOL!) so that it shows you how many moves you should be able to do it in but also lets you take as many as you need to solve each puzzle. There are several modes that get more difficult as you go through them, and each mode has about 3 full boards of puzzles increasing in difficulty. AND...if I remember correctly, you can insert your own pictures to play with.

This is one game I've gone back to from time to time and still enjoy. Another thing is that it's designed so that you can take a short break and play just a level or 2 or play a bunch of levels at once according to your time schedule.

It is somewhat akin to Zoombook without the timer.

Edited on 08/12/2010 at 6:27:01 AM PST

bansama
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by bansama on Aug 12, 10 6:49 AM
Like every other game from Pie Eye Games I've played, I love this. Will definitely be purchasing.

[Post New]by chris122049 on Aug 12, 10 8:21 AM
OR remove this restriction (one of the 1st things I did! LOL!) so that it shows you how many moves you should be able to do it in but also lets you take as many as you need to solve each puzzle.

How do I change it!!!!! I am stuck on the second one. I love the game because it's different and challenging but I need to change the number of moves it allows me to use.

waterfire11
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by waterfire11 on Aug 12, 10 8:47 AM
chris122049 wrote:OR remove this restriction (one of the 1st things I did! LOL!) so that it shows you how many moves you should be able to do it in but also lets you take as many as you need to solve each puzzle.

How do I change it!!!!! I am stuck on the second one. I love the game because it's different and challenging but I need to change the number of moves it allows me to use.

When you begin the game there is a window where you can choose game mode and if you look below there is also an option to turn off moves counter.

P.S I like this game a lot too!

Meisie84
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by Meisie84 on Aug 12, 10 8:59 AM
Downloaded...and am looking forward to trying this later today!

[Post New]by chris122049 on Aug 12, 10 9:11 AM
Waterfire, thank you so much!!!! I like the fact that I am really having to concentrate and figure out how to flip everything. It's definitely going to give me hours of play and yet I can do one here and one there..........

waterfire11
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by waterfire11 on Aug 12, 10 9:46 AM
chris122049 wrote:Waterfire, thank you so much!!!! I like the fact that I am really having to concentrate and figure out how to flip everything. It's definitely going to give me hours of play and yet I can do one here and one there..........

You are welcome! And I agree with you.

I am hooked, have never played a game like this before. And there is also a never before seen option to choose your own music to listen to while playing.

[Post New]by chris122049 on Aug 12, 10 11:23 AM
Just had to add...........there is a feature where you can see the picture in green for correct pieces and red for pieces you need to correct.......it's a lot easier to do it that way when you are first learing. I did the first row with the red/green feature and then I started to be able to do them in regular picture mode. I went from needing 75 moves with my first one to needing 3 to 5 moves in several of my last ones so there is a learning curve. If you are trying it out, play the whole 60 minutes and see if you get the knack of it.......It's really different

Apadenska
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by Apadenska on Aug 12, 10 11:23 AM
What an interesting little game! And, as a DD it's a good value. So, I bought it after playing the trial for 5 minutes. It reminds me of a jigsaw puzzle, which I love to play. Defintely low key and amusing...the graphics quality is nice too. Thanks .

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Aug 12, 10 1:23 PM
chris122049 wrote:Just had to add...........there is a feature where you can see the picture in green for correct pieces and red for pieces you need to correct.......it's a lot easier to do it that way when you are first learing. I did the first row with the red/green feature and then I started to be able to do them in regular picture mode. I went from needing 75 moves with my first one to needing 3 to 5 moves in several of my last ones so there is a learning curve. If you are trying it out, play the whole 60 minutes and see if you get the knack of it.......It's really different

Thanks Chris for mentioning the red/green pieces. Gentlsong had recommended this game before, I looked at it a couple of minutes and said, NO way, I am horrible with mirror images. But she pm'ed today, I read over this forum, saw this, and played 26 levels in 54 minutes with 19 perfects! I figured out that if you look at the "show correct" and picture the red/green into sections, sorta like thirds, and tried flipping them in chunks that way, it really helps. When you move the chunk, it should made it more green pieces and more red "fit together", if not, undo, and try another chunk. It took most of the demo to work out this process, but the ones I couldn't get perfect, I got it down to 5 or 6. Really game especially for $2.99! Off to buy.

Thanks Gentlsong for reminding me!
Thanks Chris for the tips!!!

joannickle
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
45,038 Posts

[Post New]by joannickle on Aug 12, 10 2:13 PM
I think I will be off to try the demo. syl

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Aug 12, 10 3:38 PM
Right now I had perfects up through level 47 and worked on it for almost an hour. I saw a thread for it and didn't see an answer on how to solve it. So I googled Mirror Mixup level 47 and got a solution to it, and it was so simple, but not the way I think most people would see the solution. Fun game!

Marg2
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Marg2 on Aug 12, 10 4:54 PM
Thanks much Gentlsong and Wildfire for mentioning that the move limit can be removed. I had not noticed and had decided not to buy. The game was intriguing enough to come to the forum and read the reviews. So after reading your comments, I played again, removed the move limit, and now it's a fun challenge trying to meet the move limit, rather than being frustrated by having to meet it. Needless to say, I'm buying.

Marg2
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Marg2 on Aug 12, 10 4:55 PM
Oops, I meant Waterfire, not Wildfire - sorry about that!

joannickle
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
45,038 Posts

[Post New]by joannickle on Aug 12, 10 10:55 PM
I tried it. It's just not my type of game.

shortgamer
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by shortgamer on Aug 13, 10 9:24 AM
I was going to buy on DD but had bad thunderstorms most of the day and evening yesterday, so didn't get back on 'puter.
I did enjoy demo it as it was something a little different with flipping of the pieces. I also liked being able to see what pieces were placed correctly.
Fun way to do jigsaws IMHO.
Will have to watch for it to come up again.

Go to: