bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

Update! New MAC version available for A Gypsy's Tale: The Tower of Secrets - August 12, 2010

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Aug 12, 10 4:53 PM
We have a new version of A Gypsy's Tale: The Tower of Secrets available now. This new version of the game should fix:

1) Orchard freeze (this should fix the majority of those freeze tickets)
2) Haunted Cottage door **** puzzle not opening sometimes.
3) “Remove vines” journal entry that sometimes does not get removed from journal after vines cut in orchard.

We apologize greatly for the trouble.

You can get the newest version by uninstalling and reinstalling your game. Here is a link to our help article for Mac.

Uninstall / Reinstall a Game

Be sure to empty the trash before reinstalling.

*If you have not yet purchased the game, find the game and reinstall the trial version (when available) to play any remaining minutes.

If you have any problems, you can contact our Customer Support team for more assistance. Just click on the green envelope on the right to get to our Help pages, and if you still need assistance, click “Contact Us” to the left of the screen to submit a support ticket.

Thanks!

-bfgArnoStyx

Edited on 08/13/2010 at 8:40:38 AM PST

Re:Update! New MAC version available for A Gypsy's Tale: The Tower of Secrets - August 12, 2010

[Post New]by Anastasia20 on Aug 12, 10 8:19 PM
Uninstalled and reinstalled, but still frozen in the orchard. Anyone else? Do I have to start a new game?

janalyson
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

Re:Update! New MAC version available for A Gypsy's Tale: The Tower of Secrets - August 12, 2010

[Post New]by janalyson on Aug 12, 10 8:51 PM
Thanks for working on this game. I am excited to finish it. But there are two problems. I do not see anywhere for a MAC to find a "Game Manager", or any "updates " for the game. So I uninstalled completely the old game and reinstalled another game, hoping that the MAC version of the game had already been updated. I went through the game again, from the start, and it still freezes at the orchard.

I looked under my games, help, and entered in "game manager". The only one mentioned in the instructions is for PC, as stated.

How do I find this "update"? I am also sending this to tech support.

Thanks

[Post New]by bookwormjane on Aug 12, 10 9:36 PM
I'm also still frozen in the orchard after uninstalling and reinstalling,

[Post New]by jaffa5 on Aug 12, 10 11:16 PM
I have reinstalled and tried every different combo to get past but still freezing

[Post New]by minnie2251 on Aug 12, 10 11:40 PM
I am also still frozen in the orchard after uninstalling/reinstalling the game.

[Post New]by humspoo on Aug 13, 10 3:33 AM
I have reinstalled the game as the instructions said but I do not need to put in the activation code as the instructions ask. The game just starts on its own, and then I am still frozen in the orchard. I do not think I am getting the game with the "fix" version.

[Post New]by Fyrebrand on Aug 13, 10 8:12 AM
I have also uninstalled/reinstalled and started a new game, and it still froze. The only time I've seen a 'Game Manager' is when I'm playing games on a PC. In the 5ish years I've been playing BFG games on my Mac, I've never had it. Is there another way to get the update?

[Post New]by UnsinkableMollyB on Aug 13, 10 8:25 AM
Ditto on uninstalling/reinstalling and then still freezing in the orchard...

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Aug 13, 10 8:54 AM
Hey Fishies,

It may help to start with a new player profile. Ever so often, the old game data can interfere with the updated game, so give this a try and see if you can get past the orchard.

If the problem persists, please write into Tech Support (by clicking on the green envelope to the right) with any all information that you can provide.

Thank you!

-bfgArnoStyx

johnop
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by johnop on Aug 13, 10 9:29 AM
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game a couple of times and it still freezes. I still can not get it past the orchard. What now.??????

ebiniku
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by ebiniku on Aug 13, 10 10:07 AM
Um....are you sure this is the updated version of the game? I question this because the version I uninstalled said it was version 1.0 created/modified on 9/28/09 and the "new" version I installed said the exact same thing. I played it all the way through to the orchard and froze yet again. Perhaps the download links on the game page as well as the one in our purchase history are not pointing to the updated version? (I downloaded from both places and both said the same thing and also froze yet again, even after trashing the preferences and starting over with a new profile).

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Aug 13, 10 10:41 AM
Yep. Uninstall (even made sure I got the file in USERS/USERNAME/Library/Preferences/A Gypsy's Tale), reinstall, played game under new profile through to orchard and game frozen again. Either the "new" version is not the new version or the fix doesn't work.
Actually, on second thought, this must be a new version, because in this version the game seemed to get a little confused at the very beginning and after collecting the crystal bag and map, the journal entry still was telling me to find those items. Never had that happen before.

Edited on 08/13/2010 at 10:53:29 AM PST

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Aug 13, 10 11:02 AM
Hello Fishies.

Thank you for letting us know about this issue. We will be looking into it and will update this thread as soon as we find out more information.

Please feel free to contact Tech Support with any additional information that you feel may help. Your patience is very much appreciated during this time.

-bfgArnoStyx

cyndyk2
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by cyndyk2 on Aug 13, 10 8:44 PM
I've uninstalled and reinstalled this game SIX times over the past few days; been in touch with Leia in Seattle and she knows what I've been doing. I've used two different profiles, and not only can I not get past the freeze in the Orchard, but with the new profile, I get stuck even earlier, in the Cottage; it won't let me pick up the Healing book now. I think your "fix" broke something else. : ) Being a former programmer myself, I know how easy THAT is to do! This is a fun game, and I really hope you stay with it, guys; I'd love to be able to finish it!

[Post New]by crazyisland on Aug 14, 10 9:23 AM
When you move an application to the trash on a MAC, you do not delete all the associated files.
I had the orchard problem, trashed the application, deleted the associated files and installed the new MAC version of the game. I was able to play through to the end without a problem.
You can tell that all the associated files have been deleted because I did not have my player profile saved, and had to re-enter the key I got when I purchased the game.
Different systems store these files in different places, but for me it was in the library folder.
In finder, click on your user name (under places, generally next to an icon of a house), then choose library, then choose preferences, where you should find a folder named "A Gypsy's Tale".
Sorry this isn't the best explanation...
To clear associated files I use a programme called CleanApp - it shows you where applications put other files...

So basically, from my experience, the new MAC version has solved the problem, it is just necessary to completely delete all the old files in order for it to work.

janalyson
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by janalyson on Aug 14, 10 2:50 PM
I agree with crazyisland. It is now working and so much fun! Thanks!

[Post New]by bookwormjane on Aug 14, 10 7:13 PM
Well, I couldn't get it to uninstall the way crazyisland said to do it, but I decided to try downloading again and creating a third player. This time, I made sure I healed the deer first before I did anything with the squirrel and was able to continue with no problems.

Decided to go back to my other ID's just to see if there had been a fix, but continued to be stuck in the orchard again with that dratted squirrel! If you can get it to work, it is a fun game with nice music and graphics.

cyndyk2
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by cyndyk2 on Aug 14, 10 10:32 PM
Bless you, crazyisland, that seems to be what was needed to move on with the fix! But now I've hit a new snag. I'm trying to buy the fish food from the storeowner and it won't let me. He tells me to look around, and I can click on the fish food, but nothing happens from there; I have plenty of crystals, I know where to use the fish food and I have the other two gems in place in the gazebo, but I cannot get that dratted fish food off the shelf to save my life. Is this another glitch or did I do something out of order? Has anyone else run into this problem, or is it just me? I'd REALLY like to get to the end of this thing eventually! LOL

[Post New]by bookwormjane on Aug 15, 10 10:18 AM
cyndyk2- I had the fish food problem too, and had to go around a click on a few more locations before I could buy it. Can't remember exactly what I did or who I talked to, but I eventually was able to get it.

Go to: