gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

The Magician's Handbook II: BlackLore - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 14, 10 12:12 AM
Still downloading the game, so thought I'd set out some bait here...

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

Re: The Magician's Handbook II: BlackLore - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Aug 14, 10 12:15 AM
I'll grab a nibble here

I am also DLing and peeking at past comments.

Now I think I must search out the first game also.

Will check back in after demo.

Angel

Argh!

Well, it seems I have tried this game already and ran out the whole trial.

In reviewing the comments here and the comments from the 1st game (which I am DLing now) it seems like a pretty good, and well liked game.

I think this is probably a safe gamble at $2.99.

Angel

OK so this is only semi-amusing...

1st game trial is all played out also.

Which means that I checked these games out early in my time here on BF because I don't use up the whole trial period any more for just this reason.

Angel
::shaking her head and walking away to purchase today's DD.::

Edited on 08/14/2010 at 12:34:31 AM PST

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 14, 10 1:29 AM
I just finished playing the demo. (I hadn't played it before so didn't have to scavenger hunt for one.) And I bought it.

(If you are a migraine sufferer who sometimes can't look at moving lights, don't try this game when that's the case. - Just so ya know...)

The game setting is very colorful and fantastical, which is very cool. Decent sound environment as well.

The text is big, the objects are tiny, and the interface takes up more of the screen than one would like, that being the case. But there's lots of hints available - you can use up 5 per scene before even having to wait for recharging, and I think the recharging hints are unlimited.

HOWEVER... I was good and stuck by the end of the demo, and came out of the game to look at the walkthrough - that is, the hints were inadequate. I left with 2 minutes of demo time left, which was just enough to use what I found out from the walkthrough to get unstuck.

There's some interesting things in this game. I'd suggest trying it, at least.

Edited on 08/14/2010 at 1:35:07 AM PST

littletanpom
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by littletanpom on Aug 14, 10 5:32 AM
The objects are "too" small - gave me a headache. I had to stop playing. :-(

kimberph
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by kimberph on Aug 14, 10 5:32 AM
I'm with cleric. Image quality is terrible (even after shutting off the 3D option that I had to dig to find). Definitely not worth 2.99. I played about 4 minutes of the demo and am ready to delete it.
Perhaps I need different video card/driver, but I don't generally have a problem.

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Aug 14, 10 5:46 AM
I own both Magician's Handbooks and thought them a bargain at full price. The graphics aren't at the top of the heap and things can be difficult to find I agree. The atmosphere and art work and puzzles more than made up for those flaws to me, try it out you may love them like I did.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 14, 10 6:05 AM
I like it too Mojave_Rain and think it is a great deal for 2.99. Plus I read in another thread that these games were created/developed by one man by himself. What a lot of work he put into it. I wear glasses and have no problems with the small objects or the graphics - sure they aren't the clearest, sharpest graphics in the world but they aren't bad and the artwork is great!! If you haven't tried this game yet, I think it is well worth the money (plus, I also read in another thread that it is quite lengthy as well!). (I did have to get a dictionary out and look up Ouroboros though - I had no idea what that was, but now I do Off to walk my dogs while it is still cool out and then settle in for some great game playing later this morning/afternoon while it is smoking hot outside

zorrogumbo
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

[Post New]by zorrogumbo on Aug 14, 10 6:37 AM
Preferred playing the 1st one. Got bored and never finished playing the 2nd one. Things are tiny and repetitive. If i recall it was a long game. Good deal for 2,99 but free on another site if you wish but w/commercials.

elkric
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by elkric on Aug 14, 10 6:38 AM
gimmegames wrote: there's lots of hints available - you can use up 5 per scene before even having to wait for recharging, and I think the recharging hints are unlimited.

I'm curious, what do the hints do?
I keep clicking on "Reveal" and the little blue marbles keep disappearing but nothing seems to happen that helps me find anything.

(Once when I happened to be looking in the right place I thought I saw an object light up slightly and when I clicked on it it was the correct object, but that was the only time I saw anything happen.)

lydiajmack
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by lydiajmack on Aug 14, 10 6:49 AM
I really loved this game when it came out. Played it several times and loved it more each time. It is a high medium in difficulty, lots of good stuff to do. Used the w/t quite a bit, but I do that for a lot of games. Graphics are stunning. This gets a 5 of 5 from me.

ilikegame
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by ilikegame on Aug 14, 10 7:32 AM
After finishing the demo, I purchased the game without any hesitation.

The difficulty is above the average... my favour!

I guess the graphic is 3D, and thus very difficult to find the objects if you view them as 2D.

When I read other comments in this forum, it seems this game has a great replay value. Can't wait to see the whole story!

Good job, BF!

waterfire11
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by waterfire11 on Aug 14, 10 7:37 AM
Played the demo for 10 minutes and will be buying it. Runs so smoothly on my PC. Artwork is so beautiful! And the tiny objects just ads an additional challenge. Love this game!

Puglet
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Puglet on Aug 14, 10 7:52 AM
Loved the first one. Don't know why I didn't buy this one when it came out, but am about half way through the demo and will be buying. The objects are small, but I like the challenge. The pictures aren't "crisp" but they are interesting. Puzzles are a little different from most HOGs and I like that.

If you have trouble with flashing lights this will be a no buy for you.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Aug 14, 10 8:13 AM
Free on another site, no ads. Sponsored games. PM me.

Edited on 08/14/2010 at 10:33:13 AM PST

Mamalita
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by Mamalita on Aug 14, 10 10:46 AM
I like this game! I have finished the first chapter and am working on the second. I am taking it in small bits as I have a lot of other stuff to do (supervising the cleaning of the garage, small children in the house, etc.) I've used the hint a lot as I get frustrated easily. The keys are not always in the first scene of a location. Sometimes they are are further into the location.

MSG050110
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by MSG050110 on Aug 14, 10 11:24 AM
THE GAME COULD BE RELAXING BUT THE OBJECTS ARE TOO SMALL AND THE PICTURE ISN'T VERY CLEAR. VERY HARD TO FIND AND THIS TAKES THE FUN OUT OF IT. THE PRICE IS RIGHT BUT I'LL PASS.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Aug 14, 10 11:26 AM
I liked it! Had it on my to-buy list and got it right away

Snipis
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Snipis on Aug 14, 10 11:32 AM
Okay at first I did think it was small and a little blurry. But I was enjoying it and had plenty of reveals to find those objects I couldn't see. I also didn't really need the reveals because I found enough without, I was just being a perfectionist and finding all objects. I do this so I know what I am looking for next time. I really enjoyed the rest of the graphics and effects. The puzzle were challenging too so for $3 a steal and I will buy.

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Aug 14, 10 11:42 AM
Like Mojave and Shadowfax I bought both of these when they first came out. I agree that some objects are tiny, but it is a very playable game. The DEV is a one-man studio. He does it all. I always read/listen to the story in games. The intro to this one had me REALLY LOL before the game even started.

I've been hoping that we will see another soon.

Madth3
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by Madth3 on Aug 14, 10 2:30 PM
Tried this game since opinions seemed divided.
Even as a DD I won't be buying this game because of the small playing area and even smaller objects.

Go to: