BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

Mystic Diary: Haunted Island - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by BossBrat on Aug 14, 10 1:00 AM
Personally, I did not care for the game at all. That being said, here's what to expect:

1. A glowing blue circle instead of a cursor in most places. If you are close to another area you can visit and are are clicking to find places to search, etc., you'll be taken to the other area instead since the circle is not tiny.

2. The penalty for too much clicking is the room getting foggy.

3. ****'s are VERY simple.

4. Mini games are so-so, but nothing very challenging.

5. Graphics were good and the music wasn't too irritating.

I played 30 minutes and was so bored I uninstalled the game. There are, of course, some ghosts, which do absolutely nothing that I could see except write in your diary. Others may think this game makes their day and I hope so. Just not my cup of tea, I suppose.

purplemist
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

Re:Mystic Diary: Haunted Island - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by purplemist on Aug 14, 10 1:23 AM
If you liked the first one you will like this one
Very easy going game..the graphics are clear some items are well placed.
Played for 30 mins and purchased.
have not found the music annoying (so far)
This seems to be a easy going type of game where you can just take your time and enjoy it for what it is.
for me

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Aug 14, 10 1:24 AM
Downloading it now. I always take fishies opinions first, brrrrr, that doesn't sound too good: Will let you know.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 14, 10 3:10 AM
I just finished playing the demo and thought it was a good one. It goes on my "may buy" list.

I managed to get thru the demo without getting stuck more than the hints could handle.

Graphics were really nice quality. Sound environment was decent. Story seems interesting.

The main object hiding gimmick, if you want to call it that, was cobwebs, which seemed fair enough - at least that's not one I've seen complained about before in these forums lol.

I guess I'd say it's worth downloading and looking at, for most of you who are interested enough to be looking at the forum comments .

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 14, 10 3:21 AM
Sorry for your frustration goofyduck. I'm just turning the same corner myself, and I feel the same way about getting stuck.

One thing I've figured out, if I'm walking in circles and getting nowhere, stop playing (the demo) and consult the walkthrough - don't waste the whole demo walking in circles. Then go back and get unstuck and see how it goes from there. It takes awhile to get your head into how the game works, so sometimes it just takes getting past that first difficulty and playing a bit more.

A couple games in a row last month or so, I got stuck because I missed clicking on navigation arrows. In one case, I thought all the arrows went to places I'd already been. So I decided I need to click on more arrows if I'm stuck, and never mind if I mostly end up places I've already been.

(And stay as far away as possible from Return to Mysterious Island lol.)

Edited on 08/14/2010 at 3:31:01 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Aug 14, 10 3:27 AM
Ohhhh Goofy, I really understand, we are usually so in sync with these ihog adventures. And would you believe, my first Sneak Peek beta was THIS GAME? No walkthrough. I was so excited because I loved the first Mystic Diary Brother, it wasn't too hard for me and I loved the artistry in the HOG scenes, so original. And I thought the beta demo would be an hour, by the time I finished Chapter 1 two hours had passed, all that stress, but I was enjoying it. The quality was way above their first one, so that was to admire. My main feedback was ADD A MAP and a lot more of us will buy it, as I tend to get so lost.

I just finished the one hour and was surprised how much I did without a WT and a lot of it, puzzles, is simpler than it looks. Poor memory is my problem, and like Shaolin (give the drunk the bottle, me too) I just have to get used to carrying around inventory to other scenes, or try to remember where I did see something and go back. At least there are arrows. I'm buying it if it takes me 5 hours (if I'm lucky LOL) just sheer enjoyment of the nice original graphics, item placement etc, not the run of the mill clones we get. I like the dry humor in the writing too, keeps it lightened up. The music kept me calmer and I can take more time to work it out on the full game.

Give it another try at a later time, If I can fumble through this, you can do it.Oh maybe I'm just nostalgic being it was my first beta and I gave it my all LOL.Keeping my own diary by posting here and the other threadd so see if I make progress to try the next challenge.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 14, 10 3:47 AM
gimmegames wrote:

(And stay as far away as possible from Return to Mysterious Island lol.)

Return to Mysterious Island.... oh, man. I bought that determined to learn to play those LFG Adventures and have never made it off the first beach area!! If I recall, I had tons of "inventory" but still couldn't get the dang fire started - it said I was missing something. I just refuse to check out a walkthrough and occasionally hop into that game when I feel the need to "bang my head on the wall" - I have had the game for months and am still in the cave on that stupid beach trying to light a fire

This game I am going to love however and will be buying as soon as September rolls around and I start a new punchcard (I am crossing my fingers for a Labor Day sale too...)

Have a good weekend everyone!!

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 14, 10 4:38 AM
I require a reason to carry on with a game and this one just didn't make me care if the folks were stuck in the diary or not.
My final reaction after getting access to the basement when the trial time was up, was to advise the protagonist to just use his cell to call AAA, get a tow and go home.

EdnaMoles
Clownfish
Clownfish
824 Posts

[Post New]by EdnaMoles on Aug 14, 10 4:48 AM
Download, played, liked and will purchase. Liked the first edition

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Aug 14, 10 5:04 AM
I had great expectations for this one--the premise is believable (in a magical way), the opening is nice, and the soundtrack is settling. I like the choice of game or system cursors, and the music didn't overwhelm the environment effects (another plus). The "movement," "interaction," and "collect inventory" cursor is the same throughout (a small blue circle, not a magnifying glass); I thought that was sometimes confusing--I'd click on an area where there may be something I needed to collect, only to be taken back to the previous screen.

Plusses--the graphics are very nicely done, hidden objects are logical and pretty easy to find, time lapses between scenes are quick, and the rechargeable hints refresh without too much of a wait.

Minuses--In order to get a hint, you must drag-and-drop a selected item on the hint button; confusion about cursor usage (see my above comment); lack of logic about what's next to accomplish (after my hour, I still couldn't decide what to do about "the needle in the haystack"--I'm intuitive, but maybe not THAT intuitive.) I can probably give this one 3 stars on the graphics, sounds, and storyline, but no more.

Edited on 08/14/2010 at 5:06:21 AM PST

honeyg412
Clownfish
Clownfish
985 Posts

[Post New]by honeyg412 on Aug 14, 10 5:30 AM
Hi Spiritdog - I too beta'd this game and I really enjoyed it. Yeah it stopped as soon as I got the balloon fixed but I found myself wishing I could have continued so this is definitely a buy for me. It's much better than the first. So sorry to hear of the people who don't care for it as I thought and still think it's a winner.

Happy, happy gaming

Jofer
Shark
Shark
11,519 Posts

[Post New]by Jofer on Aug 14, 10 5:47 AM
I don't like creepy games (I know, I miss alot of good games that way), but I simply LOVED the first Mystic Diary, so downloading now to give this one a try and hoping it isn't gonna creep me out. The little movie doesn't look bad...will report back later!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Aug 14, 10 6:03 AM
Well I enjoyed Lost Brother and consequently have already bought this after a quick try to see if it worked OK.

In that time I did end up turning the music off but that is always a matter of choice, you either like it or you don't . I also found parts a bit blurry but not enough to put me off buying it.

What I did have a laugh at was the comment:

"Too much clicking clouds the mind" ...

surely it should have said

"Too much clicking obscures your vision"

What I do like is that the goals are not permanently on the screen and the fact that it is more of an adventure and it gets a from me.

C

[Post New]by heatherington on Aug 14, 10 6:08 AM
Some of you must be hard to please. I thought this was a good game. Not great by any standards, but good and I'm going to buy it. It was not too hard to figure out. I made it to the lava flow part and I think it is a good challenge but not too hard. What more do you want in a hidden object game? You want no timer, hints to fill fast and to be intelligent enough to help the game along, you want your skip meter to fill up pretty fast so you can skip through those stupid mini games, and you want to be able to fast forward through the cut scenes and all the writing so you can get as far as possible while playing the free 60 minutes. And, if I actually get thrown out of the game because I used up all my time, I consider it good enough to buy because it was entertaining.

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Aug 14, 10 7:22 AM
Played 30 minutes of the demo. Graphics appeared muddy and flat to me. Found the music to be annoying. Nothing in this 30 minutes "grabbed" me. So, I've exited the demo. Figure I'll play the remaining 30 minutes tonight or tomorrow to see if my opinion changes. But, I'm guessing this is not a purchase for me.

Jadakiss2000
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by Jadakiss2000 on Aug 14, 10 8:22 AM
This was the first game I Beta'd for BF and found it to be a challenge from the get go. I did get stuck after a few minutes but didn't give up. I finally figured out where I needed to go and what I needed to do. I started to really get into the game and just when I was hooked---IT ENDED! Boo Hoo. Right after fixing the balloon. So I am glad to see it is here for me to finish. Yeah!

Jadakiss2000
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by Jadakiss2000 on Aug 14, 10 8:24 AM
heatherington wrote:Some of you must be hard to please. I thought this was a good game. Not great by any standards, but good and I'm going to buy it. It was not too hard to figure out. I made it to the lava flow part and I think it is a good challenge but not too hard. What more do you want in a hidden object game? You want no timer, hints to fill fast and to be intelligent enough to help the game along, you want your skip meter to fill up pretty fast so you can skip through those stupid mini games, and you want to be able to fast forward through the cut scenes and all the writing so you can get as far as possible while playing the free 60 minutes. And, if I actually get thrown out of the game because I used up all my time, I consider it good enough to buy because it was entertaining.

I hear you!

Jofer
Shark
Shark
11,519 Posts

[Post New]by Jofer on Aug 14, 10 8:31 AM
Okay I'm back from my trial and have bought the game. I love this one as much as the first one, maybe more! There's nothing creepy about it like I was fearing from the title, so I'm very pleased with that. I don't mind friendly ghosties
The graphics are a bit muddy in some scenes but for the most part clear enough to see, and I noticed I had more difficulty finding some things not because they were dinky but because they were so cleverly hidden. So I was pleased with that. I like a challenge that way. The music - I can't comment on it because I always turn it off. The ambient sounds and other sound effects fit right in and I hardly noticed them they were so well done. The story is good and it looks to be a decent length gameplay. I had barely flown the balloon before the trial ended - and felt I hadn't completed everything at the first place but couldn't turn the balloon around, so I think there must be more to do there again later.

All in all, a great game and worth the credit! I'm off to play some more now!

Audreyfavre
Herring
Herring
385 Posts

[Post New]by Audreyfavre on Aug 14, 10 8:32 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:
I know I've said it before, and I appreciate the challenge people love about these games, and yesterday I thought I had turned a corner with wanting to play these games, but I'd like to play the game, not play for 5 minutes, shut it down, go check a w/t and then come back who knows how many times. Sorry, guess I'm just disappointed after finding a couple of iHOG's I actually loved and was able to get through with a little time and patience, and then get hit all over again with one I can't figure out and took the entire demo hour to get nowhere.

Hi Goofyduck,
Are you shutting down the game and consulting a w/t then restarting the game again? That can be a giant pain. I used to do that until I figured out that I can just hit my Windows key, which will minimize and pause the game so that I can look at the walkthrough whenever I need it (I try not to use it too much. I don't like to be chained to a w/t during a game either.). Then I just click on the game title at the bottom of the screen and the game pops right back up. Knowing this has made my BF life so much easier
Audrey

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Aug 14, 10 9:09 AM
THANKS FISHIES

I read the W/T and now here

So, now demo

B BK L...for IMO

PEN