bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Chime Spirits

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 16, 10 12:39 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Chime Spirits? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Ember66
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Chime Spirits

[Post New]by Ember66 on Aug 16, 10 1:26 AM
It's a thumbs down for me with this game.
I persevered for half an hour, all the time expecting something a little more exciting than clicking to happen.
No strategy is needed to play as I found random clicking notched up the points just as quickly as trying to get big groups.
The only mildly interesting bit was the occasional puzzle that cropped up.
Only there were too few of those and too many of the boring "collect the points to an unspecified amount to pass" levels.
i wondered why the storyline was included as it wasn't very interesting at all and didn't inspire me to continue playing to the end to find out what happens.
The music was soothing but made me feel like i was playing in an elevator.
Sorry BFG - this game is a bit of a stinker.

Edited on 08/16/2010 at 1:29:18 AM PST

[Post New]by knickknackblue on Aug 16, 10 2:37 AM
I literally played this game for 3 minutes before I deleted it, and I like M3 games. However, I really don't know what to call this game as it is not technically an M3. What is was to me was annoying! Bad Big Fishie

posted this on the other thread, but wanted to post here, too so others could see.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 16, 10 3:05 AM
I just finished playing the hour demo. If this were a daily deal, I'd buy it. As it is, it will go on my "may buy" list.

It's interesting. It feels like something I may have played before but not bought, but I can't quite remember. Which still makes the gameplay pretty unique.

The music is very nice, but not with the music and game sounds going at the same time. I didn't get around to turning one or the other off, but I'm guessing that would likely be best.

If you stick around and play the demo more than 5 minutes, in some rounds there's black hole things that waft across the playing area from left to right. You have to make matches very close to it to remove it, and if it makes it all the way to the right side, you lose the round and have to replay it.

There's some other rounds with some removable gold squares in them. They haven't really had a whole lot of effect on the gameplay so far. There's several sorts of power-ups.

It's really hard from just a demo to know where a game like this is going as to gameplay features. Some games go nowhere, and some unfold as you play them.

One thing I do know is that while Harmony is a big *theme* in this game, it does not apply to the sound environment as it stands lol. And that affects my expectations as to the overall quality of the game.

I'll be curious to see any reviews from those who buy the game and play it beyond the demo hour...

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Aug 16, 10 3:38 AM
Played the whole demo. Had these black "dots" to get rid off, squares that you just press on to get rid off, got fed up with clicking and utterly bored. If anyone plays it till the end, any improvements as the game goes on ??? Back to Magician's Handbook II-Blacklore which I haven't finished playing, nice, long and not boring. for this one.

dcairns
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by dcairns on Aug 16, 10 3:46 AM
I played for about a half hour and deleted it. Too boring for me. I kept expecting something to happen that would make it more enticing but it didn't happen while I was playing, maybe it does later in the game? I wasn't willing to find out.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 16, 10 3:49 AM
I found that the game has strategy, drama and potential. But it has the feel of a partially developed game that could have been alot more. (To be fair, the game may be "alot more" in levels that are beyond the demo time)

I played the whole demo time. The first 8 levels felt like "player training". The game doesn't have a timer exactly but you play for points. If any wandering "black hole" reaches the end of the right side of the board without being destroyed by a match then you lose that round and have to repeat. Destroying all the black holes seems to end the level and your points are then displayed.

The game pieces are not put into play for a match until you move one that has a space on the left to bump up against another of the same color. All movement of pieces is to the left instead of downward. The "black holes" drift to the right.

It could have been more, but there you have it (in the demo time, at least).

Edited on 08/16/2010 at 4:17:06 AM PST

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Aug 16, 10 4:02 AM
IMHO - this is one of the worst Match-3 games around. 'Nuf said...

LilyCat
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by LilyCat on Aug 16, 10 5:38 AM
I played for about half an hour - nice and relaxing if you aren't bothered about scoring points or anything, but has anyone worked out how you achieve "harmony" and finish a screen?

It feels a bit like one of those games you get free on a cellphone. Certainly not a full-price game. Straight to DD. I'd say.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Aug 16, 10 7:06 AM
Was bored within 10 minutes of trial. Seemed to be pointless game, and certainly a 'no buy' for me. Match 3 one of my fave genres, but this game seemed as though it was only half developed. Got so far then released it. The concept is ok, but nothing exciting.
Couldn't see why this wasn't a free online play game.
Where is the CE version of Reincarnations?? I was so looking forwards to it after Mudrock's info last Monday!

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Aug 16, 10 3:35 PM
what this game is: beautiful, tranquil, relaxing, and not too taxing on the brain for the most part...

what it isn't: fast-paced, mind-wrenching, time-ticking, and anxiety boosting...

so in my book - it gets a thumbs up for something pretty to look at the end of the day...

there's room for nine different profiles, and lots of extra play - four additional modes that can be unlocked as the game progresses... the music and sound effects can be adjusted separately so if you don't like the music - which i think added to the ambient atmosphere of the game itself - you can turn it down while still being able to listen for the effects...

the method of removing tiles reminded me very much of collapse except that you couldn't set off chain reactions and the tiles all went from right to left... how very asian of them? moving the tiles was something that, at times, could need a bit of strategy - there are those 'make all the tiles disappear' puzzles to get the mind to wake up just a bit, but then it's back to normal game play... there are also power-ups that allow you to earn more points that show up along the bottom of the playing field...

in all, i'd say it's very nice stress-free game to unwind with after dealing with a couple dozen kindergarten-ers for several hours - whether you're looking for harmony or not!

and as for harmony... just think that the less chaos there is in the world, the closer we come to harmony...

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Aug 16, 10 4:13 PM
Nope, that isn`t a game for me. I don`t like it. No buy for me

donnamil
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by donnamil on Aug 16, 10 5:41 PM
I really prefer simple games that don't raise my blood pressure, but this was just too simple in the demo without much hope of anything more intriguing. Relaxing, oh yeah. The music was soothing. No timer that I could detect and in almost an hour of play, the black blobs never got close to causing trouble (by escaping to the right). There was no point to the gold "locked" spaces since all you have to do is click them.

from me unless you need a snoozer.

onlybec
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by onlybec on Aug 16, 10 7:01 PM
Thumbs down for me. way too boring. Music just puts you in lala land. Not worth spending my money on not even as a dd unless really bored and nothing else to play.
sorry bfg you bombed on this one too.

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Aug 16, 10 7:13 PM
Chime Spirits is different than any other M3 I have ever played. I think this game has potential, but it is missing something. What is it missing ?? heck if I know. I only play them not develop them. The backgrounds are beautiful, but a game that does not make. The music also was OK ...

Over all, this is a for me ..

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 16, 10 7:30 PM
I love this game. At first I thought it was going to be boring but I kept playing and liked it more as I went along. I played up to level 17 in the 1 hour demo then I bought it. What got me hooked were the puzzle levels. I love the puzzle levels. I have not been able to stop playing. I am on level 57 now and my stomach started growling and I looked at the clock to see it is 9:30 at night and I haven’t eaten my dinner yet. I am going to grab a bite and keep playing.
Love it!

Thaletta
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Thaletta on Aug 16, 10 8:39 PM
Have played it for 30 mins and am deleting it. Its a shame as I quite liked the twist on the M3 match up, but then I was always waiting for something exciting to happened.... and it didn't. Have we all become so jaded and expectant that a M3 game should be more than an M3? I know I have. I love M3 games but the best one I EVER played was Simplz Zoo, now that is an EXCELLENT M3!

CynthiaV
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by CynthiaV on Aug 16, 10 10:45 PM
I tried to like this game -- as others have mentioned, the music is very soothing and the graphics are clear but the game just didn't go anywhere. I only played for about 20 minutes but in that time it just seemed that you just clicked boxes to slide them over to make matches -- I could never figure out what made, "harmony" to end the level so whatever chance of strategy there might be was totally lost on me. Also, the gold boxes and black sworls didn't really make the game any more challenging or interesting. Perhaps the game does become more interesting and challenging as time goes on but I didn't last to find out...

I'll put it on my DD list but will pass for now...

catlady4
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by catlady4 on Aug 17, 10 3:58 AM
BIG SNORE_awful game

[Post New]by springsjulie on Aug 17, 10 4:30 AM
Booooooorrrrinnnnggggg. Totally. Played 20 minutes of the demo and deleted it.

Go to: