ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

Judging this game after several hours of play

[Post New]by ecblisa on Aug 16, 10 1:19 PM
I'm a sucker for an original Match-3 game, so I bought this one. And I can report that it is quite an interesting game as it goes along.

As someone else said, the background graphics are lovely. I like the music, although not everyone will. The commands are very simple, and this is an excellent game for someone with limited hand mobility.

The game alternates between mobile scenes (the game field changes if you don't move, and you can lose because you don't make appropriate moves) and "puzzle" scenes, where you need to figure out (as slowly as you want to) how to remove all game tokens. All scenes can be replayed until you win, but only the puzzle scenes can be skipped.

The game is simple at first (and you might be able to do well with random clicking), but it gets more and more difficult, and strategy becomes important. It gets harder and harder to keep the field from locking up (no possible moves in the relevant area).

I especially like the puzzle rounds, some of which are quite diabolical.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Judging this game after several hours of play

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 16, 10 1:26 PM
Thanks for the buyer's review. I thought it had potential...

I'll save for a DD on your recommendation.

Edited on 08/16/2010 at 5:13:58 PM PST

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Aug 16, 10 3:17 PM
glad to hear that it's got staying power...

i also like that there are nine profile slots... so you could have a few different ones going in different difficulties for a little refresher upon return!

think it's also cool that in the extras you're offered several alternative means of play!

definitely a great value if you're measuring by the hour!

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Aug 18, 10 11:34 AM
I'd really like to give this game a shot, but I can't until the technical glitches are fixed.
What a pity.

Lyndy20
Clownfish
Clownfish
543 Posts

[Post New]by Lyndy20 on Aug 18, 10 5:25 PM
This game intrigues me, particularly the puzzle levels. I'm on the fence, though, whether to buy it or not. Does anyone know how many puzzle levels there are or how many are unlocked in the expert puzzle mode?

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 19, 10 4:31 PM
Lyndy20 wrote:This game intrigues me, particularly the puzzle levels. I'm on the fence, though, whether to buy it or not. Does anyone know how many puzzle levels there are or how many are unlocked in the expert puzzle mode?

There are 72 levels in the story mode and about one third of them are the puzzle type games. The puzzles are the reason I bought the game so I’m glad there were that many. The Expert Modes are not unlocked until you complete the Story Mode. The Expert Levels and the Expert Puzzles are only five screens each for a total of 10 extra levels. They are a part of the Story Mode. You can continue to play in the Endless and Survival Modes or you can start a new profile and begin the story mode again.

The Endless Mode is unlocked after you complete the first 8 levels. It is a variety of the regular match-3 screens but without the Dark Symbols and Black Holes that drain your points.

The Survival Mode is unlocked after you complete the first 30 levels. It is the regular match-3 with the added challenge of the Dark Symbols and Black Holes swirling around.

I also would like for there to have been more of the puzzle mode type screens but at my age in a couple of weeks I can play them again and I won’t remember any of the solutions, but I can always look at my videos (which are posted on youtube).

Lyndy20
Clownfish
Clownfish
543 Posts

[Post New]by Lyndy20 on Aug 20, 10 8:31 AM
Thanks, Lizzie, for your excellent description. A buy, then, and I'm right with you on that age thing!

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Aug 27, 10 2:47 PM
Thanks so much for adding a little humor Lizzie! It's always nice to hear someone describe the silver lining on the sometimes dark cloud of aging.

Go to: