gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Destiny Architect - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 17, 10 12:46 AM
Hmmm.... I'm pretty sure I haven't seen this one before. It's not the sort I'd have given the time of day to till BFG started with the daily deals. Now I'm thinking that I do like Puzzle City, much to my surprise, so this is worth a try at least...

Re: Destiny Architect - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by taube22 on Aug 17, 10 1:01 AM
I posted this in the other review thread, but since this is the one people will be coming here looking for today, I moved my comment here.

Saw this as today's DD - yes, only 45 minutes in to the day, but anyway . . . lol. I love puzzle games and they are a bit harder to come by on this site than some of the major categories, so I was hoping this would be good. This looks like it could have been an interesting concept and the bit of actual gameplay I did was enjoyable, but it has several major issues.

* The translation is so poor as to be nearly incomprehensible. Not only did I have little idea what the story was, but I couldn't understand the directions or what certain items did or meant, so I was left to guess most of it. The dialogue was . . . something else, and not something good.
ETA: Apparently if you do very well on a level (including a few mistakes) you are told "Perfect!" but if you actually do perfectly, you are told "Ideally!" Huh?

* Even allowing for poor translation, there didn't seem to be much info or help as to how to actually play the game. It was very confusing and I'm still not sure how I'm supposed to tell whether I have enough materials for a job other than clicking on it and being rebuffed, or how I get the materials at all.

* The arm waving mentioned by the previous poster (in the other thread) didn't bother me, but I can see how it would be majorly distracting to some people. Music was mellow and fairly repetitive - not annoying to me but might bother others.

* However, I am a font snob and they make liberal use of what I refer to as the Disney font. Really, seriously?

Worst of all: after a few levels, the game would crash every time I finished a level, freezing and requiring me to use task manager to get out. The first time I had a bad feeling but hoped maybe it was a fluke. The second time, I gave up and came here to review.

Too bad - thhe game seemed like an interesting mix between tetris, tannegrams and other games where you have to 'fit' pieces, with the added trick of needing to leave windows (glazing? according to the game) empty and make some areas load bearing. Between the confusing text and the crashes, unplayable, so too bad.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 17, 10 1:30 AM
I played 20 minutes or so before an "access violation" box came up and kicked me out. If I can play the rest of the demo without any more problems though, my present thought is to buy it.

It is very Tetris-y, but you are told not to try to rotate the pieces - that your magic is too immature for that. So that simplifies the game somewhat, at least the part of it I've seen so far.

As the shapes are slowly moving downward, they are all one texture. When they land on your building template you are trying to fill, they take on the texture of the various parts of the thing you're building, like brick patterns on parts of the shapes and so on. So at least there's some visual satisfaction to it as you're playing.

So far I haven't actually lost a level - it's forgiven a couple mistakes I made, and those were ones I *knew* I was making before it even told me - could see mid-play that I was putting a piece in the wrong place, but too late to change it.

The English is difficult, but I'm not having any trouble following it so far. It's a very odd little game, but odd is not a bad thing in my book.

I'm thinking to come back to it after I confer with my pillows for a few hours (hopefully ).

Zaitai
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Zaitai on Aug 17, 10 2:12 AM
I agree with Taube--this game is difficult to read. One should NEVER translate into anything but his/her native language and the grammar and vocabulary used in this very chatty game (which begs another question: why are they talking so much?) are pitiful. Don't waste your money. It's not worth even $2.99.

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Aug 17, 10 2:18 AM

Ugh!

That was painful!

"Guaranteed quality"?

Not this time BF

Angel

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 17, 10 2:23 AM
The game called me back louder than my pillows lol. I enjoyed playing the rest of the demo, had no further tech issues, and am buying it. There were some different puzzles near the end of the demo where you are trying to mess up (relative to how you had been playing) to break out unwanted blocks. Then you are to fill up the space you broke out with desired blocks - I was in the middle of that when the demo ended.

I sometimes like having to figure out what I'm doing as I go along. When adventure games tell you exactly what you need to do next, there's complaints from players about too much hand-holding. If the game keeps telling me I'm losing, that's different - when games just let me keep on moving forward and learning as I go, I don't mind, a lot of the time. That's often how it is with games with poor translation. If the gameplay is good though, that speaks louder to me than words .

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Aug 17, 10 2:37 AM

I am happy to say that the developers of this game made great improvements!

I am glad they didn't give up because I love playing the flower planting game with Robin, the flying dragon, who helps water the plants and fight the pests

Angel

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 17, 10 2:56 AM

If you loved Tetris, you will enjoy Destiny Architect.

Destiny Architect has you assemble the falling shapes into a variety of buildings throughout the magical kingdom.

Somewhat hypnotizing once you start playing it.

I liked this game.

I had one block blow up on me because I placed the wrong block next to it. If you make a mistake you have a hole in your building!

The speech in it was terrible - everything grammatically incorrect. But if you can overlook that, it's a nice little game.

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Aug 17, 10 7:25 AM
Even as a daily deal I'll give this one a miss. I do not like Tetris. Thanks for all the reviews!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 17, 10 8:21 AM
I have been playing non-stop since I bought this - about 6 hours ago? lol

The story is good, and I'm still not to the end of it. I haven't even been tempted to adjust the sound or music at all.

The puzzles are not hectic but are challenging enough - but forgiving to some extent. That is, I had to replay some of them a couple times, but not over and over and over. The ones where you have to break all of a certain type of block I had a little more trouble with, but managed after a several tries. I think there's 3 types of these puzzles in the game - the two I just mentioned, and the puzzles for making potions. The potion ones play like normal, but the shapes have more spaces in them to arrange your pieces around.

This is less hectic than Tetris in that you don't have to rotate the pieces, the pieces don't speed up unless you click to hurry them along, and the pieces aren't random - they are all(?) ones you can use. There's some power-ups (potions) you can use, that I haven't figured out much yet. But one of the special items that comes up on the playing board is a star that, if collected, will suggest where the next piece should go, which is helpful.

Fransje66
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,217 Posts

[Post New]by Fransje66 on Aug 17, 10 8:34 AM
l used to like Tetris and l missed this game in 2008.

l do not bother at all about stories in a game.
Just did not work out yet how to handle the wrinkled green bricks at the bottom - in a game under a pink ?

Considering buying it.
Anyone here who did?

karolyneb
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,459 Posts

[Post New]by karolyneb on Aug 17, 10 9:42 AM
Destiny Architect Review
Destiny Architect is a Tetris-like puzzle game where the player needs to place Tetris pieces within a template to complete a task within a particular time period.

The good:
A rather unique Tetris variation
Custom cursor can be disabled
Inoffensive music
Pieces are not random - the fact that each one has a particular place in the template helps in the demolition level (which I still haven't been able to successfully finish)

The bad:
The English on this one is comically bad
No untimed mode
Long time delay to restart level without exiting to the map screen
Game keeps crashing at the end of completed levels (but will restart successfully and the progress is saved prior to the game crashing)

Who will like this:
Folks who like puzzle games
Folks who like Tetris

Who will hate this:
Folks who like having comprehensible English in their games

karolyneb's notes:
My favorite bit of "English": "Respectable Me!" - said by the main character upon meeting someone who had a task. I have no idea whatsoever what that was supposed to mean. Folks who like to laugh at Engrish will have no end of unintended humor in this game.

This review is for the full demo
ETA more info and to re-order items in the lists
ETA the fact that there is a(n undocumented?) way to reset the levels. Thanks, gimmegames, for pointing this out.

Edited on 08/17/2010 at 6:08:18 PM PST

karolyneb
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,459 Posts

[Post New]by karolyneb on Aug 17, 10 9:45 AM
Fransje66 wrote:
Just did not work out yet how to handle the wrinkled green bricks at the bottom - in a game under a pink ?

Was it in the demolition level? I think that you are supposed leave those intact when removing the brown bricks but I haven't been able to solve it before the timer runs out.

Madth3
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by Madth3 on Aug 17, 10 1:54 PM
Well, I love tetris and this game was boring. I did not like the restriction of not being able to rotate the pieces.
I did not bother with the story because of the general comments about the english, but what I caught felt rather silly.
No deal for me.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Aug 17, 10 2:24 PM
I liked the game when I did the demo. Not being able to turn the bricks makes the game more difficult... and I'm pretty sure that you gain the ability to turn the pieces a bit later in the game

Snipis
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Snipis on Aug 17, 10 2:59 PM
Definitely have to ignore the story because the english is so bad. The play itself is okay. No crashes on the computer yet. (crossing fingers). I haven't finished the demo yet but I think I will go back and see. So far a little boring.

Hey, I am a seahorse now! Cool.

Edited on 08/17/2010 at 3:13:45 PM PST

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 17, 10 4:19 PM
karolyneb wrote:Destiny Architect Review
Destiny Architect is a Tetris-like puzzle game where the player needs to place Tetris pieces within a template to complete a task within a particular time period.

The bad:

No way to restart level without exiting to the map screen

After you play a level for awhile a green button appears in the top *left* interface area that has what I would call a swap symbol on it - 2 arrows in a circular formation. Pressing that will give you the option to start the level over. I still sometimes go to map rather than wait for that to appear though.

Edited on 08/18/2010 at 12:10:17 AM PST

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 17, 10 4:22 PM
karolyneb wrote:
Fransje66 wrote:

Was it in the demolition level? I think that you are supposed leave those intact when removing the brown bricks but I haven't been able to solve it before the timer runs out.

The whole point of those levels is to *remove* those wrinkled green bricks. You do that by trapping empty spaces above them and near them - I can't be very specific cuz that's as much as I've figured out, although I've made it thru those levels after a few tries. Break the green bricks the same way you broke regular ones above them, it seems.

karolyneb
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,459 Posts

[Post New]by karolyneb on Aug 17, 10 6:04 PM
gimmegames wrote:
karolyneb wrote:
Fransje66 wrote:

The whole point of those levels is to *remove* those wrinkled green bricks. You do that by trapping empty spaces above them and near them - I can't be very specific cuz that's as much as I've figured out, although I've made it thru those levels after a few tries. Break the green bricks the same way you broke regular ones above them, it seems.

Is that what you are supposed to do? No wonder I kept running out of time. You are much better at interpreting the "English" than I am

CoderGirl
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by CoderGirl on Aug 17, 10 9:29 PM
They didn't do a very good job of error trapping. I got this exception while trying to complete one level:
"Attempt to add the block in game at presence of blocks in it . . . ."

Go to: