bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Astro Bugz Revenge

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 18, 10 12:37 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Astro Bugz Revenge? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Astro Bugz Revenge

[Post New]by Gieyo on Aug 18, 10 5:37 AM
Just demoed and had to delete as it froze the computer. Too bad, as I was enjoying it.
The graphs are very arcade-like (slightly rough, unsophisticated), the avatars/shooters/wall bricks could be cousins to Super Mariós foes (Squids and the like), so I guess they are sort of retro-cute although not too original.

I know the sound effects were ok for the game theme, & not too many so they were not bothering me. What I can not remember is the music (not sure even if there was any after the main menu! ).

The game itself is pretty starightforward. There are 3 game modes (classical, revenge and a thrid name I can't remember -dunno what's wrong with me today -). None of them is locked so you can access them from minute 1 of demo.
I tried the second and the third (not classic): In one you must get through an oponents wall (the oponent is computer) while he tries the same with your wall. You have to shooot to breach through while preventing him from breaking your wall by blocking his balls (I know this sounds funny but can't think of a clearer/shorter way to say it, sorry) with your avatar. The winner is the first one who manages to beat the other 5 times.

In the other game mode you are faced with an approaching cloud of colored geometrical shapes that you must destroy before they get to you. You can control your missiles' trajectory with your cursor, which allows you to make cool shots. Unlike the "duel" mode, I found this very challenging (level 1 was ok, but level 2 beat me twice). Unfortunately my computer froze (twice also) the third time I accessed level 2. Then it kept freezin each time I got there. I just managed to play around 15 minutes.

As you pop marbles you get powerups. They are time-limited so if you do not release & collect them quick they vanish. Once they are released they float upwards pretty fast so it becomes an extra challenge to catch them before they exit the screen. In the duel mode the power-ups are there too but they do not go up, they fall down.
I found no way of switching from your current shooting ball to the next (trying to get a different color), which didn't make things easy.

To cut a long story short: If this was a wrapped present l I'd say that although the wrapping is not too impressive, the content was actually quite pleasing. I'd give it a 6/10 even with the freezing issue (without it, the rating would have depended on how the game evolved).

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Aug 18, 10 3:06 PM
I got about 20 minutes into the hour demo. I stopped because I was getting a little bored. The play itself seemed a little slow. I usually love games where you "pop" balls, but this one just seemed too slow for me. I didn't have any technical issues, the graphics were fine and the background music was okay.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Aug 20, 10 12:56 PM
The game is to easy for me, but I hope many fishie will enjoy it.

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Aug 23, 10 9:21 AM
Not really my cup of tea, so I will not be buying this one.

I thought I would give it a try and I found it alright for the hour but after that I can see it getting too tedious for me.

This game reminded me of several "retro" games pulled together into one.

A good game for those into the arcade retro style games.

For me however this is a game that will be staying away from my computer, especially after some freezing issues.

Taynicjam
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by Taynicjam on Aug 31, 10 3:49 AM
I like this type of game. I found the classic mode very difficult because I also prefer to be able to swap balls to the next colour. I didn't like the classic mode. Revenge mode was much more enjoyable. I would consider this game as a DD only because of the revenge mode. I don't know if it was because I was playing it in windows mode but I couldn't pop the little guys quick enough because I couldn't see what was coming.

Edited on 08/31/2010 at 3:51:09 AM PST

dpjane
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by dpjane on Jan 27, 11 6:02 PM
(Removed by moderator)

Edited on 01/31/2011 at 6:41:38 AM PST

Go to: