bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Robin's Quest: A Legend Born

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 19, 10 12:17 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Robin's Quest: A Legend Born? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Robin's Quest: A Legend Born

[Post New]by JustDontTryIt on Aug 19, 10 12:24 AM
Can't say anything yet, except that this game is 16 chapters long, and since it's an adventure HOG, I'll most likely buy it without playing the demo.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 19, 10 12:49 AM
Thanks for the informed review

rentonwa
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,075 Posts

[Post New]by rentonwa on Aug 19, 10 1:01 AM
Thank you for the review, Casualgran. I'm downloading the trial right now.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Aug 19, 10 1:05 AM
Well CasualGran,you sold me. Based on the type and style of games I like, you seem to have impeccable taste! I really appreciate your detailed and descriptive reviews. I'm off to download and I'm sure,buy it.
thanks, Dr.good
p.s. don't you ever sleep!

purplemist
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by purplemist on Aug 19, 10 1:21 AM
Graphics

Storyline

Music (which varies)

Voice overs

Everything comes together very fantastically in this game.
Absolutely loving it....

Off to see if my credit card empty ..lol

rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by rlk0045 on Aug 19, 10 1:22 AM
Looks likes its going to be a fun game. At last a game is working in the full screen mode on my computer.

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Aug 19, 10 1:25 AM
I did play this game recently from the developers site.

The good:
Great graphics, nice gameplay with roleplaying elements (you sometimes need to use your buddy's like the Monk, princess Marion or Little John to help you with certain tasks), lovely music, high production values.

But....SPOILER ALERT(highlight to see)

I had played the Beta before, which i really liked, but unfortunately they have left out some of the more challenging elements from that Beta in the Final version:

- In the Beta you did not only had to 'direct' your arrow during shooting, but you also had to 'time' your shoot. Now its only a matter of directing and that as easy as can be, which means there is no challenge at all in the archery tournaments.

- In the Beta version you did use money you collected with arrowshooting (tournaments) to buy the gamehints at the gypsy woman. In the final you save up hints by collecting blue 'orbs' that float in the air. This means you still collect hundreds of coins during the game, but you do nothing with them at all! Really pointless.

I guess they changed these points because of complaints from people who played the Beta (for the shooting in the Beta you had to time precise sometimes and maybe people didnt like walking back and forth to the gypsy women) but to ME personally, it took away a lot of the challenge and the purpose of moneycollecting.

More general complaints:
- It wasnt a very long game: It took me like 2,5 - 3 hours to finish (Mind you that i played the beta before, but it felt like it could have been longer).
- There was way too much 'handholding': everything was spelt out for you (task list, this room is solved 'tags') or pointed out for you by sparkles.
-Most of the mini-puzzles were way too simple, a number of them could be solved in like 5 seconds.

To conclude:
Based on the 'pro's' i gave it 3,5 out of 5 stars. I think its in its core a nice game concept for a numbers of follow ups, but to make it a really great game they should bring (back) more challenge into it and come with a longer follow-up.

Edited on 08/19/2010 at 11:37:16 AM PST

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Aug 19, 10 1:26 AM
i have to say that this may be one of the best games i have played all summer. it is funny, the characters are quirky. i have only played about 45 minutes and i have only found 8 posters out of 62 so the game will have some length to it.

the graphics are clear, the music makes you feel like you are in medieval times, the voice acting is excellent. in the beginning you have to escape from jail and leave the castle. i sat and listened to the two guards and it was so fun, just like i was there eavesdropping on their conversation. if you start to play don't get their attention for a few minutes and listen to them they are too funny.

you start off with 5 hints but if you use a hint you collect fireflies to replenish them. the objects are easy to find, however they are not time specific unless dominoes was around back then.

there are 2 game modes, casual and adventurer, i am playing in casual as i want to take my time, so i think the adventurer might be timed. there is a custom cursor option as well. when you play the game make sure you move your mouse over everything as some things may be hidden in trees and beehives and places like that.

i am actually going to give this game 5 out of 5

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Aug 19, 10 1:27 AM
Oh CasualGran and amj,

I did not read about the update. I hope they include the things i mentioned (the shooting- and hintsystem used in the beta) in the 'difficult' mode.

Edited on 08/19/2010 at 1:29:45 AM PST

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Aug 19, 10 1:32 AM
A refreshing change from the usual HOGs. Enjoying the ambience of it, and the uniqueness of the game play. Not keen on games with no skip button, but managed to get through them so far. And if really stuck I have a 'built in' skip button called Roger (my husband lol)!
The trial hour was over all too soon so it is a 'must buy'!

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Aug 19, 10 1:35 AM
Hi Belamba, this game does have a skip button:
A blue sort of stone, with the word 'solve', its in the toolbar at the bottom of your screen and it loads rather quickly.

Your Comments and Reviews for Robin's Quest: A Legend Born

[Post New]by catjosephine on Aug 19, 10 1:49 AM
FOR SOME REASON IT JUST FREEZERS ON MY PC, AND CANNOT PLAY THE GAME FIRST TIME I HAVE HAD ANY TROUBLE WITH BIGFISH GAMES

morticia6
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,044 Posts

[Post New]by morticia6 on Aug 19, 10 1:56 AM
this is a fantastic game. reminds me of princess isabella. has the same sort of game play. just finished the trial and can't wait to buy! i'm playing in advanced mode but haven't gotten to the archery tournaments yet so can't say whether or not they've added the challenge back in that was described in the beta. hoping they did.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Aug 19, 10 2:08 AM
What a delightful game ... I have already bought it.

Hopefully those people that complain about the dark eerie games will buy this one and enjoy it as much as I am.

The graphics are excellent and I still have the sound on.

The twist of making Robin a married female is a novel one
but I can't wait to find out what role Maid Marian is going to play ... only joking.

I have completed the first quest and, when you have to bake a pie there is a small bit of clicking fairly quickly on the objects but when I missed an ingredient it just let me carry on and try again.

Hmm ... 16 chapters sounds good especially if each quest is a chapter ... Friar Tucks took me about 3/4 hour including investigating everywhere I could go plus making a so I wasn't rushing anything and therefore it looks like being a nice longish game.

C

besstan
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by besstan on Aug 19, 10 2:14 AM
i like this game as i am from yorkshire and the old tree of robin hood is in nottingham forest not far from me our airport is called robinhood lol
so this fun for me they filmed prince of theives in the dales in yorkshire under the waterfall with kevin coastner spellin wrong but you knoe what i mean
any way i will buy this game besstan

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Aug 19, 10 2:23 AM
I swore I wasn't going to even look at another ihog adventure for awhile, 2 nights wandering in circles lost without a map in Mystic Diary2, and backtracking over and over to find an item I missed, I frustrate easily. And twice through SamSwift4, fun but blind looking for teeny invisible things in the dark.

BUT I read reviews on this on another site, sounded like fun soooo curious I just did an hour less one minute and oh isn't it charming? The music so far so relaxing, even put my headphones on, rare I even have music on. The voiceover dialogue tells you the story and love the accents, sounds like professionals. The HOG scenes are crystal clear even on my laptop which reduces picture to about 12" diag, doesn't fill widescreen. Just lovely to hear and see, and on Casual I need the sparkles and hand/cursor or I'd miss things like the wanted posters and scraps of paper. The hint went from 5 to 4 but haven't seen any fireflies the gypsy told of, but it went back up to 5 anyway. I thought I was stuck when I couldn't leave town and the target circle wouldn't open again. Discovered there was some other item in bottom to get I hadn't hovered over, so off to town.

No instructions on puzzles so far and didn't see skip but spent some time, the pie making didn't really take much speed, only that I didn't know to click when it was over the Add, not as soon as you knew what to get. Forgiving, let me have more tries and got it. I haven't felt so "immersed" in a game since Deadtime Stories. Even if I have to glance at a walkthrough it is a fun thing to do. Gave up on CE Reincarnations 2 coming as forecast, so guess I'l buy 3 games and this is one right now!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Aug 19, 10 2:32 AM
Oh, just a tip for other dunces like me. I was stuck and couldn't go anywhere after one scene, maybe leaving the jail. The voiceover and text at the top is someone talking and Robin's response had no voice but text at the bottom. I click on her lines to move on. Oh oh, didn't notice there were 2 replies, I guess you get a choice for the Challenge version (?) I returned and read what she said and clicked the right response before I could proceed. Duh...take time to read before clicking.Take your time if you usually just fast click Continue. Off to buy

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Aug 19, 10 3:11 AM
I'd love to know what the difference is between the casual and advanced modes! I just played about 20 minutes in casual. Now I'm going to try advanced -- hoping it has the features described as being in the beta.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 19, 10 3:17 AM
I played the whole Demo in Advanced Mode and there is so much guidance ("hand-holding" I call it) that I am wondering if I only thought I was in Advanced Mode... maybe the box didn't check when I chose the play mode?? Can anyone tell me if this is maybe what happened, or is the game just going to give you too much guidance whether you want it or not??

Dummy me, I should have stopped the demo and started a new profile to compare.
Would love some feedback on the difference of the difficulty modes.....

Thx

Go to: