[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 22, 10 12:12 AM
Post 'em if ya got 'em...

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Re: Lost Secrets: Bermuda Triangle - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 22, 10 1:06 AM
I just played 45 minutes of the demo, and I am totally sold. This straight HOG is no 3 dollar slouch by any means. The music is sooooo beautiful, and the rest of the sound environment as well. The graphics quality is top notch too. It's certainly a must try - and definitely with the sound on.

Edited on 08/22/2010 at 1:07:26 AM PST

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Aug 22, 10 1:14 AM
I love to read and I love stuff like the Bermuda Triangle so one would think I would love this game right? Lots to read and an enticing, mysterious storyline... but... one would be wrong.

for this one.

Corny dialogue and if you're going to have it read like a book then at least make it a GOOD book... especially if you're going to make us read it instead of springing for actors... heck even BAD actors are better than NO actors. Music was so-so... not bad not good... but the sound effects for mis-clicks was grating and since it's hard to know if the "teapot" the list is talking about is the one on the floor, the one on the table or the one under the chair, you end up with a lot of mis-clicks. Junkpile scenes with the requisite rubber ducky, a faucet for some reason affixed to the top of a tree, and oddly enough, with an ocean right in the picture, a light blue sailboat floating on a slightly lighter blue sky.

It's pretty much straight hog with a few odd mini-games thrown into the mix. One of which involved steering a sub through some rocks, picking up treasure, and being sure not to cross your path so the umbilical cord didn't get tangled... and which even if you do it right says "sorry try again" the first time you do it... I guess the game makers thought it was so tough no one would be able to accompish the herculean task of clicking a couple times to reach the "x" marking the treasure spot maybe?

I played for what I guessed to be close to the hour trial and turned out to be only about 15 mintues before I just couldn't take it anymore.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Aug 22, 10 1:24 AM
gimmegames wrote:I just played 45 minutes of the demo, and I am totally sold. This straight HOG is no 3 dollar slouch by any means. The music is sooooo beautiful, and the rest of the sound environment as well. The graphics quality is top notch too. It's certainly a must try - and definitely with the sound on.

Did we play the same game?!

Oh forgot to say... I used a hint just to end one of the hog scenes faster as I was bored and... wait for it... wait... guess what it did?? It made the word in the list FLASH!!! Yep you read that right... the WORD IN THE LIST... and that was the hint. So apparently they think we needed a hint to tell us that what we need to do, when searching for the very last object and have found all the rest, is to remind us of the name of the item we are searching for. Well, allrighty then.

But glad you enjoyed it gimme... I think I'm just spoiled from all the great games I've played lately.

ETA: Ok someone said the flashing as a hint means you're near the item... like the old hot/cold game. Not my thing. I rarely use hints so when I do I just want to be shown the item and be done with it. But someone else may like this. Oh on the storyline... I LOVE storylines... in fact it's one of my main requirements to define a good game. But to me this one read like a bad novel. JMO of course.

Edited on 08/22/2010 at 12:11:06 PM PST

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Aug 22, 10 3:29 AM

Love the music, hate the breathing sound.

Would probably pick this one up but there are so many great games this month that I feel ok letting this one get away.

Maybe next time on DD.

Angel

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Aug 22, 10 4:06 AM
I liked it, graphics clear for a HOG, the music is nice, I enjoy reading (I play slow read everything, take in all the graphics and really enjoy all the games I play. I'm not into finishing the fastest and appreciate the hard work that goes into making them.) and kinda like junk-piles for the challenge of them.. so this games a buy for me!

There are 2 other Lost Secrets games, I'm sure I can pick them up on DDs too if I wait. Same as yesterdays DD these are not bad games.. just older when straight HOGs were the norm. I like the older HOGs for a easy quick relaxing afternoon play and earning more punches... maybe I'm just not picky but it looks good to me for $2.99.... The new games are great and I love them but these older games are still fun too!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Aug 22, 10 4:16 AM
Well golllllyyyy group. Both ends of the spectrum here. Sounds like it may be better than TGT Bigfoot though if one needed one more punch. I do, but even hate to spend 3 bucks when I got some free codes to use up. Keep getting stuck in my "good game" so maybe an easy diversion tempts me. Don't like the sound of those penalties. I just hate it when games get punitive on MY money and time looking for a good time. What's to lose but an hour so....

Jofer
Shark
Shark
11,519 Posts

[Post New]by Jofer on Aug 22, 10 5:34 AM
Well....just finished the trial. Standard junkpile hog with a wordy story. Usually I like reading the stories in games, but this one just struck me as uninteresting, alot of words to tell me very little. The artwork was fine, I turned the music off as usual so can't comment on that.

The hint system isn't bad - it's a true hint instead of a giveaway. The cursor lights up blue for cold up to red for hot when you get near the item and if you've got more than one item on the list the item it's showing you will flash in the list. So you still have to look a bit but it plays the hot/cold game with you, which I like that idea.

The mis-clicks...yeah that was pretty annoying to me. Several times I clicked on the proper item and it took it off the list and out of the scene, but still gave me a mis-click penalty for it. Wha? Must be touchy hotspots on some items i think. Overall not a bad game at all, but doesn't really strike me at this time as something to buy even at $2.99

jtreegirl
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by jtreegirl on Aug 22, 10 6:17 AM

I only played about 6 minutes of the game and figured it was all the same from there so I stopped. The objects are easy to find and the storyline did nothing for me.

It also seems like an older game and I'm more into the modern type that has more of a challenge.

Also, the music was quite annoying....think Muzak.... 'nuff said.

Apadenska
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by Apadenska on Aug 22, 10 6:24 AM
Thank you everyone for your comments...I'll pass on this HOG.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Aug 22, 10 6:39 AM
Hi gamergirl, might want to reread the directions for the hints,
the color of the cursor tells you how close you are getting to the
item that's flashing.

Pretty simple, straight hog. Decent music. Items easy to
find. Much too wordy with reading level a bit too advanced
for young children. Skipping dialogue, would be a great
first HOG for the kiddies.

My visiting friend who only plays Match 3's on my computer
always tells me Hidden Objects are too hard to find. Think
I'm going to buy this for her to try on her next vist. I'll
convert her yet!

[Post New]by Marinersfan04 on Aug 22, 10 7:05 AM
I like this game. As a poster mentioned above, it's a nice relaxing way to spend an afternoon. I'm kind of tired of all the adventure iHOGs lately. The people who turn off the music in a game without trying it are missing out in this one. It compliments the setting and feel of the game perfectly. Sure it's easy, but sometimes that's what one wants. A buy for me.

[Post New]by nativealien4535 on Aug 22, 10 7:19 AM
I get to the second mini sub game and it shuts down on me so I am going to try to reinstall it.

If that doesn't work then I will see if I can't get a credit for paying for the game.

Edited on 08/22/2010 at 7:19:56 AM PST

deesi
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by deesi on Aug 22, 10 7:38 AM
Thanks for all of the reviews! I think I'll pass on this one. I love HOGs, but not when they're a junkpile.

wvsandy
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by wvsandy on Aug 22, 10 7:56 AM
Not a bad game at all, imo. Nice graphics with fairly easy to find items, and I find the sonar sound when you click on an object amusing. For me, because of my eyesight, I appreciate the occasional relaxing game that doesn't tax my eyes too much. I found the music nicely unintrusive, The mini-games appear to be very easy which isn't necessarily a plus, but not a big minus either. I am enjoying the story, and I'm amused so far by Captain Sal. So, since it's nearing the end of the month and I need a couple more punches, it's a nice cheap buy.

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Aug 22, 10 8:42 AM
Amusing junk-pile HOG. The scenes are busy but nothing like Margrave Manor, my standard for ridiculous. The plot reminds me of "African Queen" with a spunky spinster heroine and a dissolute captain. The game is fun, not complex, and easy to play: the HOG scenes are clear and you will not need to use the hint buttom if you prefer to persevere. It's a great beginner game or a game for that half hour you have to kill before you leave the house. At $2.99 it's a definite buy for me.

Noralg
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Noralg on Aug 22, 10 9:34 AM
This is a perfet HOG game for a rainy day or late at night when you just want to veg out. The graphics are really clear and the hidden objects are not too difficult. The hint button is a bit unusual, but nice for a change - it's not a total give-away. I always turn the music off and really enjoyed the "pinging" sound effects when you click on an object. I follow the DD religiously and haven't seen one this much fun in a while.

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Aug 22, 10 10:37 AM
I like this one and unlike most hogs i enjoyed the mini-games. There were different and fun.

robbsmom
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,285 Posts

[Post New]by robbsmom on Aug 22, 10 11:24 AM
I had to put my 2 cents in, this is a perfect game to relax in and today is a raining day and I bought it. happy gaming

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Aug 22, 10 12:26 PM
I am also liking the story, although it's a little too wordy for my taste. I particularly like the plaques on the objects of their dives. A nice bit of a history lesson.

Go to: