gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Key Words - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 23, 10 12:10 AM
Another day, another daily deal... Post 'em if ya got 'em...

(Used a couple of my punch card coupons to buy Magic Farm and Alice Greenfingers 2 today, so that's what I'll be playing while waiting for my downloads...)

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

Re:Key Words - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Aug 23, 10 1:16 AM

That was fun.

I am wondering why there are no comments?

Even the movement didn't bother me too much.

A nice change of pace.

It is a buy for me.

Angel

[gimme, lemme know what you think of Magic Farm. Key Words is also from Meridian93]

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 23, 10 2:42 AM
I've played 40 minutes of the demo. I think I'm not buying it...

Why not?
- In the first place, I seldom actually play downloaded word games. They sit untouched on my computer and collect dust... ( pixelated dust? you know what I mean... lol)

- Next, the word length seems to be limited to 8 letters - it sucks to find some word you're so proud of, and find you can't play it because it's too long. I've already played games like that a lot (online), and am bored with being limited to words that are 7 or 8 letters or less.

- Third, the bonus words to find are way too obscure, for the most part. I prefer that a game jog my memory of words I already know or at least recognize. If it had done that, it would have been a plus. As it is, most of the words could be random arrangements of letters for all I know lol.

Why consider it at all?
- It's attractive. (Although the lizard can't seem to shut up, but he just makes text bubbles and no sound, I think.)

-Took a quick look at the trophy room, and there's lots of them you can collect. Might be something to do...

Edited on 08/23/2010 at 3:06:22 AM PST

CLEMONSTWAIN
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by CLEMONSTWAIN on Aug 23, 10 4:24 AM

Ditto with all you had to say 'gimmegames',

I played the full demo knowing it would not be a buy. It's Scrabble with glitz.
The inability to play long words is annoying. The challenge just isn't there. Trophies are earned so quickly I have to wonder if there are additional trophy rooms one enters as you gain levels.

It was a relaxing way to start the day but 60 minutes was enough.

[Post New]by Marinersfan04 on Aug 23, 10 6:47 AM
I love word games! After playing 15 minutes, I know I'm going to buy this one. Aside from all the jungle theme, it's a mentally-stimulating game (at least at 6 a.m. when I am playing this, lol). That's 2 DD's in a row for me, some kind of record

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Aug 23, 10 8:25 AM
it's a buy for me also. Although i haven't yet figured out the best "skill level" to use or what choices will give me a higher score, i like it. Perhaps if someone has figured these out they can post some tips.

Survivor01
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by Survivor01 on Aug 23, 10 10:02 AM
I like word games and thought this one was fun. It doesn't bother me that the length of the word is restricted - it's hard for me to come up with long words under pressure anyway! lol The one thing I didn't like was that at one point there were no vowels - not even a 'Y' so I couldn't make a word and the lizard kept harassing me - very rude! Still not sure if I will buy.

Ratatouille
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Ratatouille on Aug 23, 10 10:19 AM
Mmh, I just tried the online version and, although I do like word games, I disliked the fact the game is timed, and also those moving letter rows. I just don't like anything breaking my concentration when playing a word game, and both the timer and moving rows do just that.

So I don't think I'm going to get it, however much I wanted to buy something else than a HOG for once :\

Noralg
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Noralg on Aug 23, 10 1:12 PM
I just don't get it! What's the point? The "How to Play" was of some help, but I still don't know what all the gadgets on the screen are? Do you have to use the top row first? How is it scored? What is the timer timing? It looks like it might be fun, but incomplete. I've been on the lookout for a good word game, but I can't tell if this is it or not. Could have been a buy, but I guess not.

Snipis
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Snipis on Aug 23, 10 3:13 PM
Well, at first I was liking it. I usually can't think of any words longer than four letters when on a timer but I actually did pretty good. So I was starting to like it when it started rejecting perfectly good words. Everyday words. That list of words they give you is very bizarre or obscure anyway. I hate when you use words you know are good and the game won't accept them. I had a scrabble game that did that and then would cheat and use words it wouldn't let me use. Arghhh! Never played it again.
I agree with gimmegames.

karolyneb
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,459 Posts

[Post New]by karolyneb on Aug 23, 10 4:29 PM
Key Words Review
Key Words is a letter pool type word game where players need to create words from a provided assortment of letters.

The Good:
Lots of letters to choose from
Lots of wild card letters
Game provides a suggested word list where most of the letters are actually present
Custom cursor disabled by default
No penalty for repeated 3-letter words
Nice graphics

The Indifferent:
Definitely on the easy side as word games go. Some folks may appreciate this and others will not.

The bad:
Instructions aren't very helpful
Limited word length
No untimed mode
Tutorial is unclear - as it turns out, the player is supposed to click the sparkling letters in order to pass the initial tutorial level
Some of the word suggestions appear to be non-standard English

Who will like this:
Folks who are bad at word games but wish to improve their skills
Possibly older children

Who will hate this:
Folks who are proficient at word games may find this game to be too easy
Folks who like to make long words

karolyneb's notes:
Folks who are using this game to improve their word creation skills for Scrabble might wish to consult a Scrabble dictionary to make sure all of the words are acceptable for the board game. I don't have a Scrabble dictionary handy since I gave up on playing the game long ago because I got tired of having my friends create words like "zemstvo*" on a triple word score when all I could think of are words like "mine".

* I have no idea what this means but the online Scrabble dictionary said that it is a legal word.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 23, 10 5:21 PM
Noralg wrote: ... I've been on the lookout for a good word game, but I can't tell if this is it or not. Could have been a buy, but I guess not.

One of the downloaded word games I like better than most is Word Web Deluxe. It encourages longer words by providing you with letters you can place on the playing board yourself - you're not limited to what's on the playing board to begin with. It's a cute game environment as well - cartoonish.

Edited on 08/23/2010 at 5:23:05 PM PST

Go to: