bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Veronica and the Book of Dreams

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 23, 10 12:15 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Veronica and the Book of Dreams? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Veronica and the Book of Dreams

[Post New]by knickknackblue on Aug 23, 10 12:45 AM
While I like a lot of M3 games, this one has nothing to recommend it. Completely uninspired-----all you do is match primary colored balls, some of which have "monsters" in them. Absolutely nothing to recommend in this game. M3 developers need to look at games like the 7 Wonders series for some inspiration, Another no buy for me. When you don't even want to play all of the free hour demo, you know it is bad.

nancehere
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by nancehere on Aug 23, 10 12:48 AM
Darn! I've been waiting for a decent match 3 to show up, but this doesn't do it for me, so far. The instructions are very confusing and my cursor keeps getting stuck or the game stalls for a few seconds and then resumes. Looks like a same old, same old to me unfortunately. My favorites are ihog or plain adventure and puzzle, but I occasionally like to get lost in a good match 3 for a refreshing change or to relax. Doesn't look like this is going to be that one. I'll wait and see what other comments are made tomorrow.

jerimeri
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by jerimeri on Aug 23, 10 1:05 AM
One of the worst games BFG has offered in a long time. Nothing worked right . And the end challenge to the first level was absolutely horrendous. Wasn't even sure what I was looking for since when I clicked on what I thought was a crystal nothing would happen but when I clicked on a hint out of desperation it would pick what I had just tried to click on.

I, too, have been waiting for a really good Match 3 game. How hard can it be?

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 23, 10 1:18 AM
Looks like we are back to fizzers.

I agree with all above comments- the movement of the cursor was awkward and it was hard to click where I wanted to.

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Aug 23, 10 1:47 AM
knickknackblue wrote:Absolutely nothing to recommend in this game. M3 developers need to look at games like the 7 Wonders series for some inspiration, Another no buy for me. When you don't even want to play all of the free hour demo, you know it is bad.

That pretty well covers it.

Except my newest pet peeve... bad English.

Angel

knitnow
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

NOT a good Match 3

[Post New]by knitnow on Aug 23, 10 1:49 AM

How disappointing.... and...after waiting and hoping for another Match 3... this is what we are offered??

I opened the game so hopeful... What exactly is the object of this game (well, except for the obvious...matching 3 colors). Are we trying to catch the monsters ? How exactly do we 'earn' the upgrades we 'purchased"? What's with the 'bubble' circles? And the dynamite barrel circles? Are we trying to release the gems? Or just clear the brown squares? And the Hidden Objects? Minuscule would be an exaggeration.

And, to leave the shop??? Not an easy exit, eh? Finally figured out the only way out was to 'escape".

and then uninstall the game.

My verdict... poorly designed gameplay... and boring...

please, BigFish, accept my humble request for a great Match 3 game... surely there are some out there...

Edited on 08/23/2010 at 1:51:02 AM PST

[Post New]by knickknackblue on Aug 23, 10 2:26 AM
_Angel_angel wrote:
knickknackblue wrote:Absolutely nothing to recommend in this game. M3 developers need to look at games like the 7 Wonders series for some inspiration, Another no buy for me. When you don't even want to play all of the free hour demo, you know it is bad.

That pretty well covers it.

Except my newest pet peeve... bad English.

Angel

So glad I could give you good advice

Edited on 08/23/2010 at 3:26:13 AM PST

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Aug 23, 10 4:14 AM
I guess summertime for games is like TV - all reruns and nothing to cheer about.

I've waited a long time for a good match-3 or for a good card game, and I'm still waiting...

MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

[Post New]by MsFreddie on Aug 23, 10 4:40 AM
Darn, would also love a great match 3 game and this one isn't it.

Jixio
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Jixio on Aug 23, 10 4:58 AM
We need games with some sophistication of design, like the following (and I know these games are old but still, they are elegantly designed and remain timeless) ;

- 10 Talismans

-Age of Japan 2

-Around the World in 80 Days (this one gets so difficult at the end that I haven't yet been able to beat it)

-Cradle of Rome (my favorite)

Are you listening designers?

Jixio
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Jixio on Aug 23, 10 5:00 AM
We need games with some sophistication of design, like the following (and I know these games are old but still, they are elegantly designed and remain timeless) ;

- 10 Talismans

-Age of Japan 2

-Around the World in 80 Days (this one gets so difficult at the end that I haven't yet been able to beat it)

[Post New]by Coronagold on Aug 23, 10 5:04 AM
Yeah, the 7 Wonders series had some pizazz to it. This one, meh, not so much.

Pat_ric_ia
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by Pat_ric_ia on Aug 23, 10 7:46 AM
Hi all, I echo everything that has been said so far, particularly the frustrating so called 'gems' part (I too just clicked away randomly in the dark until the things were all found!).
At that point I gave up!
Each section seemed to take forever to get past the 'instructions' (simple or what!?) and no matter how many times I clicked on 'OK' it still wouldn't budge until it wanted to.
This game doesn't have a lot going for it, I'm sad to say, even the music is awful and completely out of context.
Nah! 'Think Veronical should be left in that graveyard - best place for her!'
Look forward to a lovely relaxing M3 with great graphics, music and interest.
Thanks Jixio and KnickKnackblue for the recommendations....... I intend giving them a try right away (they may save the day!)
Pat_ric_ia x

[Post New]by ozzie17 on Aug 23, 10 8:02 AM
Since the game was offered me today, I thought I would be one of the first to give a reaction. But I was very surprised that everything I wanted to comment, has already been said.
Absolutely boring, cursor takes ages to react, totally dull music, the bouncing of the 'rubber' balls at first made me a bit queezy, a definite no-no from a very addicted M3 player. Please take this out of the game list, it gives new gamer a very bad impression of BFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cstdenis
Salmon
Salmon
2,948 Posts

[Post New]by cstdenis on Aug 23, 10 9:54 AM
UGH! The worst match 3 I've played in a long time. First of all, got the dreaded "access violation" error when I tried to play from the game manager, so I had to do a workaround for that.
Then, the cursor is so jumpy and hard to control it is impossible to play. Several times I would click on one colored circle, and it would select a circle either above or to the left of where I had clicked! The graphics are horrendous, the story is silly, and I couldn't even be bothered to play it after 3 levels.
Where is Heroes of Hellas III? These match 3's lately are for the birds!

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Aug 23, 10 9:59 AM
This was a dog of a game. The story was uninspired and boring. The art was dull and I think I have seen it somewhere else. Fighting monsters seemed cool; sadly, it wasn't. Your health is the timer and the monsters can hurt it and there are few ways to restore it. There is nothing you can do if you get gems stuck.

Basically this is F, don't buy!!

[Post New]by lsmejkal on Aug 23, 10 10:27 AM
I'd like to thank all the fishies who take the time to review these games. Unless it's a sequel to a game I know I loved, I aways read the reviews and don't bother even trying a game like this one.

Leslie

Pat_ric_ia
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by Pat_ric_ia on Aug 23, 10 10:27 AM
Jixio wrote:We need games with some sophistication of design, like the following (and I know these games are old but still, they are elegantly designed and remain timeless) ;

- 10 Talismans

-Age of Japan 2

A great big thank you to Jixio for recommending Age of Japan 2 xxx
I was so fed up with Veronica and Age of Japan 2 was just what the Dr. ordered!
Beautiful graphics, pleasant music and relaxing too! What more could anyone ask for from a M3 game. I tried Age of Japan and also liked that but for the noise of the discs (or what ever you call them) falling down, although the music was OK and the game enjoyable. BUT not a patch on the 2 version. Haven't tried the other games recommended yet but wanted to say THANKS.
Love Pat_ric_ia x

NokomisVT
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by NokomisVT on Aug 23, 10 11:31 AM
Manages to be both deadly dull and intensely aggravating simultaneously. The coordinates are off by miles. Not worth spending the time it takes to download, never mind actual $$$.

Go to: