Ask the Developers!

AlderGames
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

Ask the Developers!

[Post New]by AlderGames on Aug 25, 10 12:25 AM
Hi, I'm Andras Albel, programmer and designer of Bee Garden.
I started this discussion to get some direct feedback from you, which helps us to make better games for you!

I'm going to give you some Bee Garden tips and tricks here and I can also answer your questions!

AlderGames
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

Re:Ask the Developers!

[Post New]by AlderGames on Aug 25, 10 2:26 AM
I read through the first day posts in the forum and found that some players are having issues with the following things:
- motion sickness
- slow bees and boring gameplay
- sluggish cursor

Unfortunately now we can't change major things in the game (only in a sequel), but I'll try to cover these problematic areas and give you tips in the following posts.

Motion Sickness:
I understand that some players are having motion sickness in 3D games, and therefore cannot play games with rotating camera (1st or 3rd person shooters, RPGs).
To avoid that we minimized the camera movement to make this game playable for most players. We've also considered a fixed camera during the development, but this slow moving camera allowed us to expand the playfield, to add more upgrades and to make the hidden power-up searching more fun.
During beta test no one experienced motion sickness. I'm sorry that it makes some players unable to play our game. We will keep this factor in mind when designing our next game!

Tips for players having motion sickness:
- play the game in windowed mode
- turn off high resolution mode
- turn off custom cursors

Hope512
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Hope512 on Aug 25, 10 12:46 PM
Thanks for starting this thread, I wish more developers would do this. I've played Bugbits and had the same motion sickness, although it usually hits afterwards. Thanks for the tips, I try them with bugbits as well, although turning off the custom curser is a shame as I really like it.

Something that I don't like is the fogginess of the game. There isn't much contrast to the graphics and it can be a bit difficult to see. I'd like the game to look a bit brighter, so everything's easier to see. I also it might be good to be able to turn off the moving camera and have zoom as an option. It's also really annoying that the bees ignore the plants that are about to die and water other plants. The player doesn't seem to have much control and can't water plants herself.

Anyway, having said all the negative stuff, I do generally really like the game. The insects are cute characters and I love the queen bee's outfit. Although I can imagine her asking one of her workers 'does my bum/**** look big in this' LOL. You've got a real style that's original, and I recognised straight away that it was by the same people that did bugbits.

What's the best strategy for the early levels where you can't speed up the bees? I kept having plants die and couldn't fulfil the orders. And I bought the extra hives and planting spots.

AlderGames
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by AlderGames on Aug 25, 10 1:43 PM
Hope512 wrote:I also it might be good to be able to turn off the moving camera and have zoom as an option.

Our next titles will be designed to have optional fixed camera to ensure playability for players having motion sickness.

Hope512 wrote:It's also really annoying that the bees ignore the plants that are about to die and water other plants. The player doesn't seem to have much control and can't water plants herself.

Bees are completing commands in order. They're doing exactly what you ordered them in the order that you ordered. You are controlling them. You have to click on the most urgent tasks first (those are usually the watering tasks).

Hope512 wrote: What's the best strategy for the early levels where you can't speed up the bees? I kept having plants die and couldn't fulfil the orders. And I bought the extra hives and planting spots.

1. Because the commands are completed in the order of assignment try not to give too much orders in advance or just cancel your not-so-important orders when a more urgent task appears.
2. Always complete the watering tasks first. Blooming flowers can't dry out. In most cases the nectar gathering and planting can wait, the watering can not!
3. Try to plan ahead. Don't plant too much flowers at once if you don't have enough bees to water them in time.
4. Try to gather nectar only when it's required for a honey order (jars on the conveyor). While waiting for the next honey order, collect the dropped seeds and plant more flowers.

I hope that helps!
Good luck!

Edited on 08/25/2010 at 2:23:59 PM PST

Hope512
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Hope512 on Aug 25, 10 3:33 PM
Thanks!

AlderGames
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by AlderGames on Aug 26, 10 2:39 AM
Slow bees and boring gameplay?

Ok, the bees are a bit slow , but - as TuffTadpoles pointed out in the other discussion - they're slow for a reason:
TuffTadpoles wrote:
As far as the speed of the bees is concerned, I saw no problem with that aspect. In fact, it adds a bit of strategy to the game as opposed to just a simple frantic click-fest. You need to choose the order of your tasks carefully; when to use the rain cloud, etc.

And that's exaclty the first thing why we have chosen that speed. That speed makes the gameplay balanced and forces the player to do some Time Management.

The second reason of the slow beginning is to allow unexperienced players to understand what's happening and how to play the game. Some of the testers still found the game a bit fast!

Search youtube for "bee garden pc game" and watch the level 28 gameplay video in HD (spoiler alert )! That is a typical gameplay after the first few levels of the game.

Check my tips for the first few levels a bit above! (In my reply to Hope512's questions.)

Ppapier
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by Ppapier on Aug 26, 10 4:34 PM
Wow! Thank you so much for helping us.Your help,your explanations and your attention to players will make us love your game.I find it challenging,but like it and will not leave it until its finished.

AlderGames
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by AlderGames on Aug 28, 10 2:33 AM
Ppapier wrote:Wow! Thank you so much for helping us.Your help,your explanations and your attention to players will make us love your game.I find it challenging,but like it and will not leave it until its finished.

Good luck!

AlderGames
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by AlderGames on Aug 28, 10 2:42 AM
Sluggish cursor:

For players who can't run the game or experiencing lags, sluggish cursor, graphical issues, etc. I suggest the following:
1. Update your DirectX and video driver. DirectX 9 is required to run this game.
2. Turn off the High Resolution and optionally the fullscreen mode in the options menu.
3. If the cursor is still sluggish turn off custom cursors in the options menu.

Probably there will be a game update in a few weeks which will include some performance improvements.

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Aug 28, 10 2:51 PM
Hi, Andrus. I'm stuck at Day 15 - Jasmine Rush, try after try. The last game I got 5/6 orders ($978) and no mixed. I've bought the largest pot and the rest house for the bees (resting, I think, is the hint at beginning of day). When I play the level, I have the a cactus blooming in each corner to keep the ground bugs at bay, I send the bees to rest, I get both the cloud showers and extra time clock but always, always fail. Grrrrr, I hate to give up and walk away. I've accumulated a total of $18,705 so you can imagine how long I've been at this! I love the game and am not even half way through. Can you give me a tip or tell me where I'm going wrong?

The job requirements seems to change within the levels, i.e. 4/5, 4/7, 5/6. How do you know what the pass requirement is for each day? Bottles or bottle combo? Money? When you fail, how do you know by how much? In other words, am I close or should I just pack up and go home?

Last question is probably the most important. Is it time to give up? Thanks for any help you can pass along.

Lauralei

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Aug 28, 10 4:23 PM
Yay! Finally got it with 6/7, no mixed and $1186 so I guess $1,000 was the threshold. The big difference is that I got three clocks for the win along with the showers, one at the very last seconds. Bah, shouldn't be so hard. Next day, the Cactus Honey, was a breeze.

One more question, though, please. When ''You get a bonus planting plot!'', what does that mean? The soil was always there and free to plant on, no? Is there an advantage to matching the seed with the plant "picture" imprinted on the soil or does it matter? When you're racing the clock and killing pests, these things are important! *chuckle*

Thanks so much.

Bee garden is an addictive son of a gun!

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

Ask the Developers!

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Aug 29, 10 1:14 AM
AlderGames wrote:Hi, I'm Andras Albel, programmer and designer of Bee Garden.
I started this discussion to get some direct feedback from you, which helps us to make better games for you!

A delayed welcome and thanks for popping in!

I must say that I was very impressed with your responses.

I have seen a few developers come in and get very defensive about the comments people make.

This doesn't help anyone and it really turns me off to their games.

You listened and made appropriate comments and gave great hints and tips and also let us know that you heard what we were saying and would take that into consideration on your future games.

Because of all of this I know have a greater respect for you and your company and will be excited to see what you put out next rather than groaning about, 'oh no, not these guys again'

Again, thank you and keep up the good work!

Angel

AlderGames
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by AlderGames on Aug 29, 10 9:49 PM
Lauralei wrote:The job requirements seems to change within the levels, i.e. 4/5, 4/7, 5/6. How do you know what the pass requirement is for each day? Bottles or bottle combo? Money? When you fail, how do you know by how much? In other words, am I close or should I just pack up and go home?

The goal is always to reach a given amount of money before the day ends. Your progress is shown by the coin column on the bottom left corner. If the coins reach the arrow, you reach the goal, if they reach the top than it's an expert score!
Move the cursor over the progress meter to see the goals in numbers.

Regarding the order stat at the end:
e. g. 5/6 means that there were 6 orders and 5 were completed. The number of orders can change. It's because if you complete your orders faster than there will be enough time for more orders to come!

Lauralei wrote:Is it time to give up?

Absolutely not!

Good luck!

AlderGames
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by AlderGames on Aug 29, 10 9:56 PM
Lauralei wrote:When ''You get a bonus planting plot!'', what does that mean? The soil was always there and free to plant on, no? Is there an advantage to matching the seed with the plant "picture" imprinted on the soil or does it matter? When you're racing the clock and killing pests, these things are important! *chuckle*

Bonus planting spot:
When you complete an order or making a jar of mixed honey one or more of the planting spots get marked with an image of a specific flower. Most of the levels have some marked spots initially.

If you plant a matching seed into a marked spot, you'll get the "Instant Bloom" effect: the flower grows and blooms instantly! You don't have to water, compost and wait for growing.
It's a really great advantage and it's especially important on "rush levels".

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Aug 30, 10 12:52 PM
Thanks, Andras, for your explanation. Wow, that will make a difference! The imprint thing went right over my head. I thought maybe it was a hint for the honey mix ratios. Erm, I overthought it.

I just love the game. It's very challenging but made more so (maybe unnecessarily) because the new job orders whiz by so fast it's easy to lose track. ''Holy smoke, when did the order switch to yellow flowers!?'' I'm on the cactus only level now, day 25, but getting money for mixed honey? The winning combo for each level remains a mystery but plant 'til you drop is a good rule of thumb. A better tutorial would have been a big help but, with your help, we're all well along in the game and having fun.

Bee Garden immediately shot up to my top five favorite games and goes up a notch each time I see another layer of strategy, and there are many. Great game!

P.S. Never noticed the lower left numbers, pass and expert, 'til you pointed them out. Again, big help.

Edited on 08/30/2010 at 1:00:56 PM PST

Ntrtain
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Ntrtain on Sep 6, 10 11:15 PM
Thankyou for directing me to this forum! I'm still stuck on level four, my bees hang round the hives instead of following commands. I've also had one bee out of my four watering all the flowers instead of the others pitching in...is it because I click too slowly? When I set up a whole heap of commands they do get done but sooo slowly. It takes 30 seconds for a bee to pick up pollen and put it in the machine. I've updated my drivers for graphics etc. Maybe I should reinstall the game.
Thanks for helpful hints.

Ariinya
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by Ariinya on Sep 9, 10 8:20 PM
My only criticism of this game is... why aren't there more of them?! Develop, develop...!!! I will chain you to the computer whilst you code, mwahahaha.

Obviously, I really like this game, and I hope more great time managements come out soon. I have to find your website... maybe you look for beta testers?! Oooh ooh!!! Me Me!

Edited on 09/09/2010 at 8:23:54 PM PST

AlderGames
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by AlderGames on Sep 9, 10 11:12 PM
Ariinya wrote:My only criticism of this game is... why aren't there more of them?! Develop, develop...!!! I will chain you to the computer whilst you code, mwahahaha.

LOL . We will try our best without chains!

Ariinya wrote:Obviously, I really like this game, and I hope more great time managements come out soon. I have to find your website... maybe you look for beta testers?! Oooh ooh!!! Me Me!

Sorry, currently we're not looking for beta testers.

Ntrtain
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Ntrtain on Sep 22, 10 3:39 AM
I'm having troubles on Level 4 Andras, when the second order comes in there is no jar!! Hence I cannot fill it or fulfill the order, the timer starts and the conveyor belt stops but no jar. Other than this I love the game. Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks

AlderGames
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by AlderGames on Sep 22, 10 11:48 PM
Ntrtain wrote:I'm having troubles on Level 4 Andras, when the second order comes in there is no jar!! Hence I cannot fill it or fulfill the order, the timer starts and the conveyor belt stops but no jar. Other than this I love the game. Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks

It's really weird. I've never seen this issue. Does it always happen (100%)?
Maybe some performance problems can cause sg like that. Have you tried turning off High Resolution mode? Have you updated the game? (v1.00 should appear on the splash screen.)

You can send your computer's spec in PM to me. Maybe we can figure out sg.

Go to: