bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Lost in the City: Post Scriptum

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 27, 10 12:43 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Lost in the City: Post Scriptum? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Lost in the City: Post Scriptum

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Aug 27, 10 1:04 AM
I am still sad that Reincarnations 2 doesn't work for me, but I quite like this game...

Excellent resolution - my old eyes see small objects, even without the magnifier (bless the developers! ), and intriguing plot. There is a lot of interaction.
Still have to get used to the "open" inventory.

Thanks, developers! Thanks BF!

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by BossBrat on Aug 27, 10 1:20 AM
I LOVED the first 'Lost in the City'. I read other posts where people said they felt 'strange' after playing it. I didn't, lol. That said, let me tell you what I think of 'Post Scriptum'.

The first word that comes to mind is DISAPPOINTMENT. It is so very unlike the first game. In fact, except for a few simple tasks, it's basically a simple hidden object game, complete with a magnifying glass for things you can't see.

As with the first game you get 3 wrong clicks and then the screen 'cracks'. Hints recharge in 60 seconds. Graphics are okay. Don't care much for the music, so I turned it very low.

I played for 43 minutes and complete 2 chapters and started on chapter 3. If I'm not mistaken there are 13 chapters, but don't hold me to that. So, it's a good length if all the chapters are similar to the first 2 in length and difficulty. I will probably go ahead and buy the game when I get my free game coupons next month, but that totally depends on what comes out in the next few days. It beats doing nothing - barely, lol.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Aug 27, 10 1:39 AM
Played the whole demo and only got as far as repairing the car (I'm a slow player, read all the written bits and played all the mini games games). Graphics are OK, music OK (always turn it on to get an idea, then off as in most cases it's annoying or disturbing). There's an hidden object scene round each corner. Hint refills quickly and you get more by finding butterflies. 3 wrong cliks and the game "cracks" for a second.What's the plot ? Bad russians against good americans ? Cold war again ? BrossBrat says there as a previous game, so I probably miss something. But this game is definitely not my cup of tea. Found it slightly boring, OK, but nothing more. For a rainy afternoon or a sleepless night...may be, but I believe I would rather replay one of my good games than buying this one.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Aug 27, 10 2:51 AM
Well I don't mind this game and will probably buy it but as I only need one more game to fill my punchcard I will probably wait until next month just in case something else comes along that I 'have to have now' such as Haunted Hotel which should be out this weekend according to Mudrock as it hasn't appeared yet.

I am afraid that I found the music not at all to my taste and turned it off almost immediately .

This is one of those games where, when you are given the list of objects to find, you look and think I can't see any of them! then when you keep looking you see an item here and an item there . I do like the built in magnifying glass and found it useful a couple of times.

I like the fact that you learn Russian names of objects as you play such as COJIb (the nearest I can type with a British keyboard) = salt.

C

tabsy
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by tabsy on Aug 27, 10 3:16 AM
Just finished the demo, I enjoyed the first one and I plan to buy this one. The storyline is engaging and I definitely want to find out how it ends. The HOG scenes are clear too. It has a scary vibe being set in the near future but without the horror elements which I love but I know some people don't.

worthy
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by worthy on Aug 27, 10 3:52 AM
I think this game is very well crafted but the wife and I play the games together and she says she felt uncomfortable playing it. On reading Casualgran's comment, she said " That's it exactly" so no buy for us.

steelerlady1
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by steelerlady1 on Aug 27, 10 3:53 AM
5 MINS OF DOOM,GLOOM AND DEPRESSION!!!!! NO THANK YOU! IVE BEEN THERE !!!!!

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Aug 27, 10 4:31 AM
The 1st "Lost in the City" was good, albeit moody, but this one is quite a step up. For those folks who don't care for "kind of depressing--the guy ought to be on Zoloft" games, probably not a good choice. But then two of the most popular and famous HOG adventures of all time ("Ravenhurst" and "Return To Ravenhurst") were pretty melancholy too. As was "Penny Dreadful's Sweeney Todd"--morose in its own right.

I found this sequel to be artistic, with just the right amount of subtitled dialogue (not too much reading), great opening menu with good choices (cursor, sounds, etc.), well-done graphics and hidden-object scenes that made sense and were relatively decent to navigate, and no really obnoxious background sounds or music.

Gotta say, I'm (right now) enjoying "REDRUM--Time Lies" so maybe you can see where I'm coming from, but these are GAMES! I also enjoyed the Match-3 classic "Ariadne's Journey", but it didn't challenge me like these brooding HOG/adventures do.. To each their own, I say, and good gaming!

Catghost
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Catghost on Aug 27, 10 4:31 AM
Just played the demo and I don't know what to think of it.
Will I buy, just to shut my curiosity up? Or will I pass because of the feeling I get playing this game. Depressing just doesn't cover it completely. Desolate comes to mind.

Actually it's the same feeling I got reading a book as a young girl, about a boy who wakes up one morning and finds himself all alone in the world. Everybody just disappeared. I think Casualgran might know what book I'm talking about, since it's by a Dutch author.

I will think about this one some more.

Wow, I'm a lobster now. Morphing like crazy, these last few weeks

Edited on 08/27/2010 at 4:37:08 AM PST

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Aug 27, 10 6:48 AM
I really enjoyed the first game. The plot kept me interested even when the game was frustrating or repetitive. And I can say the same for the sequel. Yes, the ambience is dark and challenging: stories about isolation and the end of our world tend to plug into uncomfortable places inside us. And to play this game, you must want to tolerate that type of discomfort. In difficult economic and historical times such as these, those emotions are with us to some degree every day; you may not want to experience them in a game as well.

That said, this is a well-plotted standard HOG. The HOG scenes are clear and you will rarely need a hint. The graphics are not terribly good: I was able to locate many objects simply because they did not merge into the background well. This helped a great deal in the garage: I am not familiar with tools (ammeter?!) and located many simply by their appearance.

This is another game that leaves nothing to the player's imagination. Although I played with the tutorial off, the game telegraphed every move I needed to make. HOG scenes sparkle and cursor changes indicate significant objects. The game is not intellectually challenging.

The game rewards section struck me as superfluous.

I will purchase the game becaue the plot and ambience are intriguing enough to overcome the simplicity of play.

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on Aug 27, 10 7:18 AM
This game is just like the first one which I really enjoyed. It is a creepy scene it is suppose to be and I do not know about depressing, but if you where stuck for ever and thought you were free, but not---- Hey I would be bummed out, lol

There are some dark spots in the hidden scenes, but the butterflys that you collect will help with you hint meter.

You can skip the games and the skip game meter fills fast compared to some games. I personally like that

I turned the music down which I do in almost all games, but it does fit the game.

If you have not played the first game I can see not understanding the this one even with the intro. explaining what is going on from before.

If this game is as long as the last there will be many hours of play which is a big plus for me.
I will be buying this game at the first of the month if I can hold out that long getting hard though

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 27, 10 7:20 AM

I bought this without even demo-ing it! The first one was an adventure story with HOG overtones - very good.

auntj38
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by auntj38 on Aug 27, 10 7:24 AM
[b] This is not the game for me. I too found it very depressing and I was only playing the demo. Matter-of-fact I only played about 15 minutes and had to quite. Sorru BF, will pass on this one. Save my credits for something more enjoyable.

spyque
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,211 Posts

[Post New]by spyque on Aug 27, 10 8:11 AM
I nearly jumped out of my chair when I saw this game! I was SO excited! I demoed it and it's slowly drawing me in. It's not as dismal as the first (which i loved) but it's still intriguing. My hour demo left me too quickly! Willl have to get this! I love this series! Excellent job, BFG!

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Aug 27, 10 8:48 AM
This game isn't for me, too many **** parts again!!!

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Aug 27, 10 8:49 AM
*Edited for full review after I finished the game.
I LOVED the first Lost.. seeing this was the TGT got me more excited than any other game release EVER!

This game is a little weird.. a little dark...maybe a little depressing to some (I disagree, this one is a lot less intense than the first). Lost 1 was like a "suspense" movie that keeps you on the edge of your seat! This one is more of a "drama" that leads you calmly through the plot twists. You really should play the first or you won't understand some of the storyline in this sequel. I love mystery games, Ravenhurst and RTR are my top 2 favs and Lost is #3 so this sequel was a must buy! Best game I have played since the puppet-show sequel!

-Excellent story
-No Timer
-Unlimited Hints that fill very quickly
-Skip button on minis
-3 miss click penalty but items so clear only had it happen twice.
-Nice variety of minis that are not too hard or too easy.
-A few areas where you have to click while in a green zone, aim and catch etc. I have RA and Carpal Tunnel in hands I hate/suck at arcade type games. They are very easy and practically impossible to fail. I had no trouble at all.

The graphics are great, I was amazed at the clarity, very easy to make out everything, all HiddenOs for once are what it says they are and look like they should! TONS of HOG scenes (I hate games that have very few HOG scenes) This game is not junk pile! The game as a whole is very "messy" looking, because it adds to the "The world is ending grab whatever you can find to survive." plot. Items are not hard to find,(but not too easy either)they are NOT too small, even with my bad eyes I never used the magnifier and only used a hint 3x when I got lazy.

I read everything, skipped only 1 mini and played slowly with breaks to eat or rest so it lasted me all day. I would say depending on how fast you play it could be a 4-6 hour game or longer if your a slow poke like me. For those that say this series is "depressing" the main character's name is Hero for a reason.. when it was over I felt much different than when I finished the first. I won't say more to give away a spoiler.

I REALLY wanted to save my but I gladly spend it on this game and am not sorry I did! I highly recommend this game for dark/drama/mystery game lovers!

5 5

Edited on 08/28/2010 at 2:12:48 PM PST

Pixielate
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Pixielate on Aug 27, 10 9:36 AM
I got rid of this one pretty quickly. Hidden items are mostly tiny and/or dark and when you use the magnifying glass, items are blurry. Ow, my eyes, my head. I don't remember the first one being this annoying.

GrandWeeze
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by GrandWeeze on Aug 27, 10 12:24 PM
goofyduck77 wrote:Ahh, just reread the review of CasualGran - I think you found the word I was looking for. Depressing. That works for me. I guess that is what I was feeling. Don't know why it was depressing, but it was.

When I saw the picture of the game on the Daily Game Splash, I immediately thought, "Oh, no. The sequel to that very weird first game." And it was the graphic which prompted that reaction because I seldom remember details about games that I've played a while ago. So I came onto the forum to see if comments would refresh my mind and that it really was a game worth demo-ing. From what I've read, I think I'll pass.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 27, 10 12:38 PM
I don't mind jumping around a bit to find things and this is okay with that part of it. Lots of HOGs and I like that as well. Did not like the music...very slow. Makes you want to go to sleep. Desperately in need of a list on that. Not sure if I'm going to buy this one or not. Already bought more than I should this month. Have to think about this one, but haven't counted it out yet. Would play if nothing better comes along.

Go to: