ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

Review: Nice game for the DD

[Post New]by ecblisa on Aug 27, 10 12:44 AM
This game is old-fashioned. It has few graphics and (at least on my computer) it does not have a full-screen version. I couldn't find a place to calibrate sound and music.

Still, it is a nice little game for the price. It's a slide-to-match type game, and there are some interesting power-ups.

For anyone who likes Match-3 games, this might be worth spending $2.99 on. Check it out at least.

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

Re:Review: Nice game for the DD

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Aug 27, 10 1:07 AM

Actually, options include:

Timed/untimed
Custom/system cursor
Music volume
Sound volume
Full screened/windowed

In fact, every option except the type of match-3 game.

As I am not as fond of the slide the whole row match game, I will skip this one.

But will say that for an 'oldie' it is a goodie.

Angel

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 27, 10 4:50 AM
I just played 10 minutes of the demo so far. Looks like it will be a buy for me.

Sliding rows and columns to make matches (Chuzzle-type), but different - looks like you have to have 3 in a straight line to make the group act as a match (other pieces adjacent will be added to the group that disappears/matches). Looks like lots of power-ups to use.

I had to go into Options to switch to Full Screen, but it did switch ok.

(Back to My Kingdom for the Princess II till after I've had breakfast and can sit still again .)

Edited on 08/27/2010 at 4:51:55 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 27, 10 8:24 AM
I bought it.
I have another similar game (with terrific sound effects), Clayside, that I enjoy very much.
This is going to be another favorite, I see.

karolyneb
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,459 Posts

[Post New]by karolyneb on Aug 27, 10 1:56 PM
Treasures of the Ancient Cavern Review
TotAC is a row slider M3 (where the player needs to make matches by sliding the entire row or column) with additional puzzles in between levels. All in all, it is a pretty stock row slider M3

The Good:
Nice graphics
Option to play in full screen or windowed mode (windowed by default - change in the options menu)
Untimed mode

The Bad:
Custom cursor can't be disabled

Who will like this:
Folks who like this kind of M3
Fruittle fans

Who will hate this:
Folks who like more variety in their games

Karolyneb's notes:
It is nice to see a game with a well-implemented windowed mode. I can then do other things on the computer in between levels without worrying about quitting out of the game or having to change the screen resolution.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Aug 27, 10 2:36 PM
Thanks, Angel angel for correcting my comments. That will teach me to review a game I tested after midnight! The options menu is really not that hard to find.

This is a game for people who like to use powerups and pinpoint how to make the best use of them. The more advanced levels can't be played without powerups. This is not something I usually like, but these powerups are easy to remember and easy to use, so I'm enjoying it. Almost done with round one!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 27, 10 3:28 PM
I've played 40 minutes of the demo, and I think I'm going to pass on this one. It seems to be giving me a headache, although I haven't been able to figure out why exactly.

Gemcats
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Gemcats on Aug 27, 10 6:08 PM
I think I am going to pass on this one too. Its ok and for 2.99 you really can't lose. Nice graphics cool powerups. Thing is I have other match three games that I like better. Don't really need or want anymore. Maybe if there was something really special or different about this one I would consider another one. But all in all it's just same old same old thing.

Mamalita
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by Mamalita on Aug 27, 10 6:12 PM
I've played through the game on untimed mode. I skipped all the between level puzzles. The game was not extremely difficult. Strategy was important in the use of the powerups. I usually got the bonus for collecting specific components. Trying to match the set-up for the block layout bonus was more difficult, though I suppose it could be done with the swap power-up. Nice game to while away some time. I played in the windowed mode. It was also nice to be able to pause the game when the phone rang.

KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by KathyD56 on Aug 27, 10 6:36 PM
I played the demo and was pleasantly surprised. This game seems to be quite addicting. "Just have to play one more level" LOL. Anyway, I purchased the game and am quite enjoying it. A nice break from HOGs, and a good value for $3.00. P.S. It is nice to no longer have to put in the coupon code to get the game for 2.99.

Zobig
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Zobig on Aug 31, 10 8:17 AM
Yes the game is addicting ,need to play another level , I am enjoying playing this game . I have no problems with the game. Very nice game!
Worth the $2.99 and also nice not to put in code anymore, great job Bigfish!
Barb

Edited on 08/31/2010 at 8:18:26 AM PST

Go to: